BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A huge thank you to the folks at the (MTA) that organized the farewell of the RTS yesterday. It was great to see 38 years of history be celebrated one last time. 

19 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I'm pretty sure they waxed it because that bus was gleaming!

They did, the interior smelled fresh and clean when I stepped inside 5241. The floor, the seats, even the ceiling where the air conditioner is. 

55 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Ridiculous...

As if (only) 3 out of all those buses being trips heading towards 238th isn't enough, all 3 of them were on Kingsbridge rd....

It's possible that some of the buses on the route weren't being tracked (not the first time, especially with the newest buses coming in).

Even so, I can't help but wonder what led to the Kingsbridge Road situation.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

It's possible that some of the buses on the route weren't being tracked (not the first time, especially with the newest buses coming in).

Service has been terrible on the Bx3 as of late. There were periods where the Bx3 didn't pop up for 25-35 minutes during midday and rush hours. Just now at 238 Street, a Bx3 finally showed up after waiting since 11:35 am and the bus is packed. I honestly have no idea what the hell is going on with Bx3 service as of late.

3 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Service has been terrible on the Bx3 as of late. There were periods where the Bx3 didn't pop up for 25-35 minutes during midday and rush hours. Just now at 238 Street, a Bx3 finally showed up after waiting since 11:35 am and the bus is packed. I honestly have no idea what the hell is going on with Bx3 service as of late.

Sabotage

18 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

Sabotage

But the Bx3 is on the short list for SBS... I would think they wouldn't try to tank a route that's going to be upgraded in the next couple of years, but then again nothing would surprise me with the NYCTA and its subsidiary, the MaBSTOA.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Even if 8566 and company were somewhere on University heading north, that's still not a good look.

And the odds of every bus in that gap being a fresh from the factory 2019 LFS without GPS installed is honestly slim to none.

16 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

But the Bx3 is on the short list for SBS... I would think they wouldn't try to tank a route that's going to be upgraded in the next couple of years, but then again nothing would surprise me with the NYCTA and its subsidiary, the MaBSTOA.

Tank the local service on purpose and then promise the world (SBS)? Seems plausible to me.

1 hour ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

Even if 8566 and company were somewhere on University heading north, that's still not a good look.

And the odds of every bus in that gap being a fresh from the factory 2019 LFS without GPS installed is honestly slim to none.

Terrible of late? Please... The Bx3 buses always seem to run in packs. For a little while I had to be over by Sedgwick near Fort Independence and I would get the BxM3 back to Manhattan afterwards. The Bx3 would always come in packs in both directions, and this was on a Sunday with no real traffic to speak of.  I have never used the route to see where the back-up comes from, but either way the service is a mess.  It must be from the Washington Heights end because I don't see anything in the Kingsbridge Heights area that would cause the buses to pack up like that.  

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Terrible of late? Please... The Bx3 buses always seem to run in packs. For a little while I had to be over by Sedgwick near Fort Independence and I would get the BxM3 back to Manhattan afterwards. The Bx3 would always come in packs in both directions, and this was on a Sunday with no real traffic to speak of.  I have never used the route to see where the back-up comes from, but either way the service is a mess.  It must be from the Washington Heights end because I don't see anything in the Kingsbridge Heights area that would cause the buses to pack up like that.  

Washington Heights really does no favors.

7 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

4 hours ago, Lex said:

Washington Heights really does no favors.

One time I was getting on the Bx3 across from the GWB bus station, and the dispatcher authorized the B/O to bypass all the 181st Street stops and go straight to the Bronx via 178th Street. Only twist was the passengers were allowed to stay on the bus (99.999999999% of the time this does not happen; the bus goes NIS and you have to wait until God-knows-when because first stop always gets skipped when the buses are off-schedule.)

On the flip side, there's a narrow two-way street it uses between Fort Independence and 238th Street that becomes a huge problem whenever there's DOT/Con Ed/Verizon work done or a UPS/FedEx truck is double parked, or even if a douchebag Sanitation driver feels like putting his truck in a 45-degree angle and blocks both lanes.

Edited by paulrivera

Random thought: I’ve always wondered if Flatbush ran the B48 and not Fresh Pond. 1 or 2 reasons came to mind. 1st being it’s a direct interline with B41 at Empire plus the B49 on Franklin. 2nd: A simple deadhead via Flatbush to Lincoln Road doesn’t take long during the early AM hours and late nights. 

21 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

It's in local scheme with SBS stickers at the doors. 

59901926_408590883307002_854310321349722

I heard something about SBS branding being phased out after OMNY goes fully live so it might not ever get SBS wrap 

SBS is being phased out? Or is it just the wrapping?

28 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

SBS is being phased out? Or is it just the wrapping?

Sbs is a replacement to the limited but sbs most likely won’t be implemented on certain routes as it’s supposed to because all door boarding will be on buses. 

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_pi.php?PROJNUM=t7120419&PLTYPE=6

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_budget.php?PROJNUM=t7120419&PLTYPE=6

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_budhist.php?PROJNUM=t7120419&PLTYPE=6

New York City Transit 

Project: T7120419

Description: Queens Depot Property and Environmental Prep

Category: Depots

Element: Depot Improvements

xxxxxxxxxx

This project is for property acquisition for a potential new bus depot due to planned work in the vicinity of Mets-Willets Point station. The proposed work is for a portion of the existing "Tully'' property be converted to an interim bus parking lot.

Design Start May 2018

Design End May 2019

Const Start July 2019

Const End June 2020