BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a question about some of the QM express bus routes.

When the Queens-Bound 6th and 3rd ave QM bus routes get off the bridge, why do some routes take Queens Blvd and Northern Blvd instead of the LIE like they do inbound? You could state that there is more traffic on the LIE however why do some other routes take the LIE outbound as well?

31 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

When the Queens-Bound 6th and 3rd ave QM bus routes get off the bridge, why do some routes take Queens Blvd and Northern Blvd instead of the LIE like they do inbound? You could state that there is more traffic on the LIE however why do some other routes take the LIE outbound as well?

You mean the QM2/3/20/32? Those head to points north (Flushing/Bayside area), whereas the routes that take Van Dam Street to the LIE are heading to points further south (and honestly, there's a lot of times where Van Dam Street has more traffic than the LIE itself). 

That general concept is something I think the MTA got right in the Queens express bus redesign: Having some routes use the Queens-Midtown Tunnel in the PM rush. That portion of I-495 directly east of the tunnel generally moves very quickly. It's only once you get past the BQE that you start seeing delays.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

5 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

You mean the QM2/3/20/32? Those head to points north (Flushing/Bayside area), whereas the routes that take Van Dam Street to the LIE are heading to points further south (and honestly, there's a lot of times where Van Dam Street has more traffic than the LIE itself). 

Yes, however I was mainly talking about the Qm 1, 4, 5, 6, 31, 35, 36, 44, x63, x64 and x68 buses vs the rest of the qm routes that go towards rego park and beyond. Although they all are on queens blvd by woodhaven outbound  Qm 1, 4, 5, 6, 31, 35, 36, 44, x63, x64 and x68 buses will go via the expressway while others go via queens blvd.

6 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

The routes aren't necessarily written in stone and they sometimes go different ways depending on traffic.

On 1/20/2022 at 2:28 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's simple. Because Blacks and Latinos apparently make up the majority of people stopped for farebeating. On Staten Island, yes, there are some Whites that ride the local buses, but that varies on the line and you have high farebeating particularly on lines that run through minority areas there. Hell my home line was the S48. That line has bad farebeating particularly from Port Richmond onto Arlington, some of the poorest areas of Staten Island, so some would argue that income plays a role and that those people shouldn't be punished for that. Those levels went down considerably as you rode through Westerleigh and West Brighton, both middle to upper middle class areas where I lived.

Looking at probably the next big hotspot aside from Staten Island, the Bronx, using my current area here in Riverdale as an example, we have very low farebeating rates, which one would expect being an upper middle to upper class area. Once you cross east of Broadway on the local buses on lines like the Bx1, that changes immediately, and I know because I have seen it with my own eyes. A few times I have walked down the hill and hopped on the Bx1 just to Broadway & W 231st since one was coming to reload my Metrocard, there were so many people coming through the back door as I got off that it was insane. In comparison, the few times that I have seen farebeating in my neighborhood, it had usually been school kids of color. That said though, the demographics of who ride the local buses also has to be noted. Mainly people of color if we look Citywide. 

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2019/08/13/report--minorities-make-up-majority-of-fare-beat-stops

I had to serve on jury duty in the South Bronx years ago on a case for almost a month. I would either be walking to the BxM4 from the courthouse or waiting for it to stop by my office, and the farebeating on the Bx1 and Bx2 was insane. The Bx6 as well, just steps from the courthouses. Nobody cares because it's become too common. Here and there I do see non-minorities hopping the turnstiles, but on the local buses, not as much. You get them on occasion on the express bus, but again not in the same numbers, so just by being a numbers thing, you'd likely have more people of color ticketed, etc.

Now what I will say is I don't know why the (MTA) would suddenly listen to any Joe Schmoe about enforcement when they haven't done anything about it in years. The only time they've done crackdowns is when elected officials have complained and demanded that something be done, but that has to be coordinated with the NYPD and resources will be pulled to tend to more "important matters". Who knows. Maybe with Adams in office, who is more competent than de Blasio and rational and stands for law and order, maybe we'll see something change, but the Progressives will yell and scream that it punishes poverty and how we need an "equitable system". Every time that they have proposed fare hikes, I have spoken at hearings calling for them to address their farebeating problem, and the board members look mystified. Yes, get your fiscal house in order...

With the Fair Fares Program, I think it's more than equitable, but people just don't want to pay, period.

Another thing... You noted that Queens doesn't have such high farebeating rates... Well yeah. It's probably the most middle class borough. You don't really have out and out poor neighborhoods in Queens. There are exceptions but those are more like working class areas. Hell some of the Black neighborhoods there have some of the highest income levels in the borough, as they are solidly middle class, so you really can't compare. The other boroughs have larger swaths of poverty and more income disparity.

I have see your posts time and time again, and while you are smart and insightful with transit, it seems like every other post is you trying to spew your ideology and beliefs. You complain about "progressives" and started you whole schlep with "Blacks and Latinos". Being poor is not solely a "blacks and latino" issue - and neither is farebeating. You gave little examples of white people farebeating to justify your whole rant about minorities. This is something you do constantly, from the discussion about OMNY implementation, and others on here. No one cares you have multiple credit cards, come from upper-high middle class neighbourhood or don't take the subway because you take Ubers and express buses, because "you can't be bothered with the subway." Youre not any better than anyone and by all means share your insight, but leave your entitlement, arrogance and ignorance somewhere else. I know people are going to come running to your defense because your senior member, but I have been watching this forum a lot and you consistently are saying something a bit off.

6 hours ago, TransitBKGuy said:

I have see your posts time and time again, and while you are smart and insightful with transit, it seems like every other post is you trying to spew your ideology and beliefs. You complain about "progressives" and started you whole schlep with "Blacks and Latinos". Being poor is not solely a "blacks and latino" issue - and neither is farebeating. You gave little examples of white people farebeating to justify your whole rant about minorities. This is something you do constantly, from the discussion about OMNY implementation, and others on here. No one cares you have multiple credit cards, come from upper-high middle class neighbourhood or don't take the subway because you take Ubers and express buses, because "you can't be bothered with the subway." Youre not any better than anyone and by all means share your insight, but leave your entitlement, arrogance and ignorance somewhere else. I know people are going to come running to your defense because your senior member, but I have been watching this forum a lot and you consistently are saying something a bit off.

Oh how convenient that your first post is to address me. Troll... Save it. I stated factual information about farebeating in the very post you're quoting, including Whites farebeating, with a source included that you completely ignored. Perhaps your issue is reading comprehension. A question was asked and I answered it. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

25 minutes ago, Q44 SBS said:

Is there a reason why DOT place the bus time sign where the countdown clock is facing towards traffic when standing at the bus stop? The angle placement is so weird.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/188467864@N02/51877487340/in/dateposted-family/

It's sitting on an angle, which is pretty much how all other bus stops are situated. I would speculate that such an angle makes sense to avoid the clocks being damaged.

All of the city's artics route are using standard sized buses, with the exception of the LGA routes (Q53 & Q70) for some odd reason. Pretty weird since the projected snowfall isn't even all that, but I guess I understand the reasoning (in case the projection is off in the direction that we receive more). I was out at 11:30 PM, 12:00 AM in Manhattan and didn't see any standards on artic routes, so I didn't have any reason to think that would happen. 

1 hour ago, Q43LTD said:

Watching New York Undercover on BET. Memories of seeing RTS on the M7 and 104. Especially the Union Square signage

I was watching the Living Single intro on Hulu and they have a Green Lines RTS on layover in Manthattan, most likely a Q60 on layover. Was nice to see an PBL be in the intro of a TV Show.

I remember parts of NY Undercover as a kid, glad to see that show is on the air again. Hopefully episodes find their way to free streaming sites lol

Edited by trainfan22