BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

6 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

I've been saying that for YEARS, going back to when they first proposed part time bus operators for spring creek depot... at the expense of bus company or their express runs, TA/OA local service won't be improved. if they (management) has their way, we're all gonna get screwed. sad to say (and not to sound self serving/egotistical) but it's nice to see people are finally on board and realizing management doesn't care about or respect their customer base letalone the employees

We had a nice meeting last Wednesday (the third one we've had since I started the advocacy group). Had a few people come over and shake my hand, which also happened last night, but I think as time goes on, there is a respect that they didn't have for me before.  They saw a young guy like me and thought, lol this is just a phase. Now they realize I know my **it and we're not going away.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Don’t ask. The same way they could of split the Bx15, they could of did it with the Bx19. I will say one thing to you. The (MTA) is not vested on creating other new routes. 

the proposed M125 will only exist as a direct result of how dismal bx15 limited service is in the bronx as a result of the parking lot shitshow that is 125 street. if they had their way, there would be no "125 street x-town". for management, the KB locals are doing way too much work because the WF limiteds can't get into & out of harlem

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

We had a nice meeting last Wednesday (the third one we've had since I started the advocacy group). Had a few people come over shake my hand, which also happened last night as well, but I think as time goes on there is a respect that they didn't have for me before.  They saw a young guy like me and thought, lol this is just a phase. Now they realize I know my **it and we're not going away.

Keep fighting @Via Garibaldi 8. It’s the only way to get things done in this city and it’s bureaucratic ways. 

2 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

the proposed M125 will only exist as a direct result of how dismal bx15 limited service is in the bronx as a result of the parking lot shitshow that is 125 street. if they had their way, there would be no "125 street x-town". for management, the KB locals are doing way too much work because the WF limiteds can't get into & out of harlem

125 needs that 14th Street sprinkle. Ha. 

17 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

But why not just bring back the Bx55 and eliminate the Bx15 LTD? Have alternating Bx15 trips between Fordham Plaza & Manhattan like how the M101 does north of 96th St.

Edited by Lawrence St

59 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

But why not just bring back the Bx55 and eliminate the Bx15 LTD? Have alternating Bx15 trips between Fordham Plaza & Manhattan like how the M101 does north of 96th St.

It wouldn’t really make a difference what number it uses, because it still doesn’t help the 125th crosstown. I think the M125 is a better move because the route is being drastically shorten to not have to run via 3rd Ave like the current BX15. Having the local Bx15 serve Manhattan is a worst move especially with how horrible traffic is. The only thing saving 125th Street from being worst is the fact that there is an overlap of routes.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

You restore LTD service to Williamsbridge that way.

Regardless of it being the Webster av route, they will be quick to bring up the (existence of the) Bx41 SBS as an excuse to not reverting the Bx55....

As much as I miss the Bx55 & don't care for this M125 bit, the old Bx55 has no place in the network anymore.... You wouldn't get too many people taking Bx55's north of Fordham (if it were to be reverted) over the Bx41 SBS to Williamsbridge.... You know they're phasing out LTD service anyway, so you may as well prepare yourself for a Bx15 SBS - and they're not going to opt to run it concurrently with the Bx41 north of Fordham rd either....

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

On the topic of that and the M125, why is the Bx19 not being split into two routes? That route is so unreliable!

Let the MTA tell it: "...the route is straight, direct, has high ridership, and connects to several important destinations and transfer points." :rolleyes:

Aside from their double standard, The Bx19 is another one of these routes that's in the running for an eventual SBS conversion.....

3 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Truthfully, if there was a way to split the Bx19 you would have to run it in 2 sections:  

Section 1: Riverside Drive to Southern-Westchester (2)(5) 

Section 2: Southern-Westchester to Webster Avenue- Botanical Gardens (New route Bx51) 

Logic would dictate that, but the thing I'd worry about with that is the Bx9.

If they carve a new route from a Bx19 split in that fashion, I don't see them keeping the Bx9 running south of Fordham rd.... They would pretty much have to run a northern split of the Bx19 to Fordham Plz. at minimum (in terms of attracting people into using the thing) - which would leave the Bx9 ending at Botanical Gardens (with it being an artic route & all).... It would loom too wasteful to operate a service running between Southern/Westchester & Botanical Gardens....

That would be a poor trade-off because they won't supply the new route with the amount of service that's currently ran on the Bx9 - and for damn sure they won't supply it with the collective service of that of the Bx9 + the Bx19 along that shared part of Southern Blvd.....

Edited by B35 via Church

1 minute ago, B35 via Church said:

Logic would dictate that, but the thing I'd worry about with that is the Bx9.

If they carve a new route from a Bx19 split in that fashion, I don't see them keeping the Bx9 running south of Fordham rd.... They would pretty much have to run a northern split of the Bx19 to Fordham Plz. at minimum.... Which would leave the Bx9 ending at Fordham Plz.... It would loom too wasteful to run a service running from Southern/Westchester to Botanical Gardens

That would be a poor trade-off because they won't supply the new route with the amount of service that's currently ran on the Bx9 - and for damn sure they won't supply it with the collective service of that of the Bx9 + the Bx19 along that shared part of Southern Blvd.....

.... in pure logistical terms leave as is. Even if the reliability of the 19 is the absolute worse.

However, I do see where this is coming from especially part of the 9 does travel on Southern. 

14 minutes ago, MTAbus677 said:

M125. Kingsbridge, Manhattanville, or West Farms? We will have to wait and see. The Bx25 more than likely Gun Hill.

That’s obvious. 

M125: it’s simple. You give it to the depot that has nothing to trade off. Either Kingsbridge or West Farms dont have to trade. Manhattanville does. But it makes sense to have at Manhattanville b/c of terminal proximity versus a deadhead from Kingsbridge. 

However, if it goes Kingsbridge, it would be the perfect interline b/w Bx15 and M125 

9 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

It wouldn’t really make a difference what number it uses, because it still doesn’t help the 125th crosstown. I think the M125 is a better move because the route is being drastically shorten to not have to run via 3rd Ave like the current BX15. Having the local Bx15 serve Manhattan is a worst move especially with how horrible traffic is. The only thing saving 125th Street from being worst is the fact that there is an overlap of routes.

thank you. homie missed the entire point of the convo. this discussion has nothing to do with providing bronx/3rd Avenue service. it's about bronx passengers being provided better service (or specified service/treatment) to be able to get in & out of Harlem WITHOUT the bronx/3rd Avenue corridor being adversely affected. 

6 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

However, if it goes Kingsbridge, it would be the perfect interline b/w Bx15 and M125 

1) M125 at KB is too much of a deadhead to either side. i don't see that happening at all. tbh, i initially thought MV, yet as someone pointed out, management would more than likely to make the runs on the m125 artic runs to maintain continuity, which would mean WF would be the preferred depot of choice. hunnit street is out, as well as OF (hale) 

2) personally, i wouldn't like that interline (bx15/M125) it'd basically be like that bx41/39 interline garbage at nite... except during broad daylight. i can't imagine that paddle. I'd be thoroughly disgusted. 

10 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

125 needs that 14th Street sprinkle. Ha. 

😂🤣😂🤣 lord have his mercy... if they made one two-five into a bus only thru street, Harlem would be finished. 126 street (westbound one-way) & 124/122 steet (eastbound) would thusly become parking lots toward & away from the triboro bridge. traffic as far south as 116 Street would be f***ed. 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

12 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

thank you. homie missed the entire point of the convo. this discussion has nothing to do with providing bronx/3rd Avenue service. it's about bronx passengers being provided better service (or specified service/treatment) to be able to get in & out of Harlem WITHOUT the bronx/3rd Avenue corridor being adversely affected

1) M125 at KB is too much of a deadhead to either side. i don't see that happening at all. tbh, i initially thought MV, yet as someone pointed out, management would more than likely to make the runs on the m125 artic runs to maintain continuity, which would mean WF would be the preferred depot of choice. hunnit street is out, as well as OF (hale) 

2) personally, i wouldn't like that interline (bx15/M125) it'd basically be like that bx41/39 interline garbage at nite... except during broad daylight. i can't imagine that paddle. I'd be thoroughly disgusted. 

The M125 would be a more inadequate replacement for the Bx15, and on top of that, the M100. The thing is, most of the Bronx ridership going into Harlem comes from points north of 149th Street. There are people who get on in Mott Haven, but there's more people from north of 149th on those buses. Personally, I would have the Bx15 at the very least run to Lexington Ave & 125th Street (and add service onto the M100) instead of killing off both the Bx15 and M100 for this M125.  As far as Amsterdam Avenue service is concerned, I can only see this M125 pushing more people onto the M101 (which already runs like crap), which would be a disaster. The M125 plan has to be one of the more terrible ideas, if not the most terrible out of all the local route proposals of the redesign.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

1 minute ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The M125 would be a more inadequate replacement for both the Bx15 and the M100. The thing is, most of the Bronx ridership going into Harlem comes from points north of 149th Street. There are people who get on in Mott Haven, but there's more people from north of 149th on those buses. Personally, I would have the Bx15 at the very least run to Lexington Ave & 125th Street (and add service onto the M100) instead of killing off both the Bx15 and M100 for this M125.   I can only see this M125 pushing more people onto the M101 (which already runs like crap) along Amsterdam Avenue. The M125 plan has to be one of the more terrible ideas, if not the most terrible out of all the local route proposals of the redesign.

😂🤣 hey, i never said i agreed with this plan, endorsed it or said that this was the absolute best option. i understand the premise and all i was doing was highlighting the point of the conversation. personally, i agree with you 100% the m125 won't change ANYTHING. one two-five is STILL going to be a parking lot regardless if they run that bus at 8 minute headways with artics or shorties. the m125 is not solving the true issue on 125th Street.

25 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Was nice to run into this NG earlier on the M104 still wearing the original (and IMO better) paint scheme

[pic]

Yep, it's a treat seeing these SI transfers running around until they're inevitably repainted. Most of them are pretty screwed up from the Island, with partial strikes, unpainted panels, etc., but some of them have stayed in decent shape like this one. There are some funny combinations, like a flat stripe with a stripe on the doors, or a doubled-up stripe from replaced panels. Some keep the original decals at the rear as well, which is a cool thing to see. Those original RTS Wide Right Turn stickers are a real sight of the past now. 

1 hour ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

While I will agree with you with regards to KB deadhead being very long for the M125 but I don’t agree with the long deadhead from West Farms. Bad enough they don’t get the 15 as of January and me thinks that 15/125 interline would be good. However, I’m glad you pointed this out for me that it won’t work. 

Preferably the M125 should go to MV. However, I would like them to give up the M106 to TU in order to have the M125. 

9 minutes ago, Calvin said:

On the former SBS NGs, did they blur out the NYC DOT # since it's no longer to Bayonne? I think I saw one, 4268. It says NYC but the DOT is covered up

It's not blurred out, it was just damaged when the wrap was removed. It's clear on some of the buses. Reminds me of the original Manhattanville fleet of ex-SI buses, the 38xx NGs which had DOT numbers until repainting.

39 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

While I will agree with you with regards to KB deadhead being very long for the M125 but I don’t agree with the long deadhead from West Farms. Bad enough they don’t get the 15 as of January and me thinks that 15/125 interline would be good. However, I’m glad you pointed this out for me that it won’t work. 

Preferably the M125 should go to MV. However, I would like them to give up the M106 to TU in order to have the M125. 

bro, personally, i wouldn't want WF to have that line/long ass deadhead either (i look at several lines in WF having to have RIDICULOUS run ons/run offs, but only as a consequence of walnut depot no longer being available... but that's another convo for another time) but what other depot option is there if they're "dead set" on running artics on the m125 (which I'm not totally convinced of by the way, but i lend myself believe as a plausible reality knowing this union)? Quill for f***s sake? to be honest, I'm actually beginning to turn back to MV. I'm starting not to believe that they'll run artics at 8 minute headways on 125th Street of all places... that makes no sense. i can see 40 footers which would open up the possibility of MV. I'm almost to the point of wait & see to be honest. also, MV would have to surrender more than just the 106 to take on a line with 8 minute headways thru most of the day, plus, there are no straight 106 only paddles... all are intertwined with the 96 (if I'm not mistaken, at least that's how it was at 100 street when i was there and the 96/106 was there) as far as the m125 is concerned, my opinion as someone pointed out, is that this can't end well (another bus route ending at the congested Hub) and it's a glorified subway shuttle route into the bronx (having done the (2) local/express shuttles, b/o's know what it is)