BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

On 9/21/2021 at 9:23 PM, trainfan22 said:

Question for causal express bus riders... when waiting at an bus stop with "regulars" do these regulars ask are you waiting for the Express bus route that stops at that stop? This happened to me from time to time at SC and Ulmer Park Express bus stops over the years. 

Always thought that was odd as that rarely happens with the local bus, not sure if their trying to be friendly or what.

It's happened from time to time,,,

Some of it is reassurance as @SevenEleven said, but some of the time it's mere small talk also... Can't stand it.... It's not so much being friendly, as much as it is the regulars' way of "feeling" you out.... Regular express bus riders tend to be very cliquish....

30 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Why is the D99 needed though? Who's traveling from Bay 50th St to Coney Island for one stop?

The point isn't to necessarily serve SB riders (or reverse commuters) that would board at Bay 50th... It's mainly to service those that were already on the train north of Bay 50th, seeking service to Coney Island.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

....People that need/use stops along the D line and those that are going to/from 6th Avenue?

No offense dude, but you sometimes ask the most dumbest questions lol.

I dont use the D that much, but when the (N) was out they didn't provide a shuttle bus to CI, they just told everyone to transfer at 62nd St.

And sorry LMAO.

47 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

It's happened from time to time,,,

Some of it is reassurance as @SevenEleven said, but some of the time it's mere small talk also... Can't stand it.... It's not so much being friendly, as much as it is the regulars' way of "feeling" you out.... Regular express bus riders tend to be very cliquish....

The point isn't to necessarily serve SB riders (or reverse commuters) that would board at Bay 50th... It's mainly to service those that were already on the train north of Bay 50th, seeking service to Coney Island.

And also to ensure that ADA riders are accommodated. 

On 9/23/2021 at 11:40 PM, Future ENY OP said:

Question for @Calvin, @Around the Horn, @Cait Sith

Is the D99 shuttle bus all Brooklyn Division only or Just Ulmer Park.

The reason I ask this is b/c 7333 out of Flatbush and 454 out of Gleason was spotted working the shuttle earlier today.  

However, the last few days of the operation it's been an Ulmer Park ops only.

According to our union reps at Gleason, Ulmer Park wasn't able to handle the entirety of the D99 shuttle so two pieces each have been given to Gleason and Flatbush. The Gleason pieces have pretty odd times and are staggered so you'll most likely see one bus from each depot at any given time

9 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

According to our union reps at Gleason, Ulmer Park wasn't able to handle the entirety of the D99 shuttle so two pieces each have been given to Gleason and Flatbush. The Gleason pieces have pretty odd times and are staggered so you'll most likely see one bus from each depot at any given time

Just now seeing this @SoSpectacular.  Thanks for clarification on this. 

I'm just only guessing that most of Ulmer Park's resources are prime for the B3, B6 and B36 mostly, and I believe the headways for the D99 is 10-15 mins throughout the day (is that correct?) 

On 9/23/2021 at 11:40 PM, Future ENY OP said:

Question for @Calvin, @Around the Horn, @Cait Sith

Is the D99 shuttle bus all Brooklyn Division only or Just Ulmer Park.

The reason I ask this is b/c 7333 out of Flatbush and 454 out of Gleason was spotted working the shuttle earlier today.  

However, the last few days of the operation it's been an Ulmer Park ops only.

7621 and 7624 from Flatbush also did runs on the D99 yesterday too so maybe it might be split between Ulmer Park and Flatbush if there's ever a gap in service on the route

15 minutes ago, Joe Fade said:

7621 and 7624 from Flatbush also did runs on the D99 yesterday too so maybe it might be split between Ulmer Park and Flatbush if there's ever a gap in service on the route

Yes. I aware of that. I got the explanation earlier today. However, the first 2 days of the shuttle was all Ulmer Park only based on the observation I saw.  However, Flatbush and Gleason also get pieces of the D99 shuttle as explained. 

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Funny how the D60HF was bought up today, turns out Minnesota still operates D60s! A fanner I'm subscribed to uploaded this video today, this unit is from 2003, crazy how they outlasted the NYC units. Different engines though, ours had DD50, there's have Cummins ISM.

Perhaps a different type of an engine may be a reason why the above mentioned D60HFs still serve in Minnesota while they've been history here since 2019, I believe. Or perhaps the reason might be due to poorer road conditions, higher number of riders or longer routes. However, one might not help but wonder how times decommissioning en masse of particular fleet types (based on the make and model) was simply a top down arbitrary decision that had nothing to do with poor performance broadly speaking.

8 minutes ago, TomaszSBklyn said:

Perhaps a different type of an engine may be a reason why the above mentioned D60HFs still serve in Minnesota while they've been history here since 2019, I believe. Or perhaps the reason might be due to poorer road conditions, higher number of riders or longer routes. However, one might not help but wonder how times decommissioning en masse of particular fleet types (based on the make and model) was simply a top down arbitrary decision that had nothing to do with poor performance broadly speaking.

They keep a number of older buses just for the Minnesota State Fair that runs from the last week of August to Labor Day. After that, they'll store them while occasionally placing them in service until the next State Fair.

On 9/24/2021 at 7:22 PM, Lawrence St said:

I dont use the D that much, but when the (N) was out they didn't provide a shuttle bus to CI, they just told everyone to transfer at 62nd St.

And sorry LMAO.

Transfers between the (F) and (N) were offered for free between Avenue X and 86th. A 3-legged transfer was also created in the event people were getting off of the (N) and transferring to either the B1 or B4 to the (F) in case they were unable to walk the 5 minute distance. That side has a few more options compared to the (D) side, which has only the B64, and that B64 isn't the most frequent of bus routes with it's 15-20 minute headways.

7 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Transfers between the (F) and (N) were offered for free between Avenue X and 86th. A 3-legged transfer was also created in the event people were getting off of the (N) and transferring to either the B1 or B4 to the (F) in case they were unable to walk the 5 minute distance. That side has a few more options compared to the (D) side, which has only the B64, and that B64 isn't the most frequent of bus routes with it's 15-20 minute headways.

Thank you for informative response, that's what I was looking for.

52 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Was noticing that 9504 (I think that was it) still has the as-delivered branding with the MTA logo and no NYCB. Almost every Xcelsior has been modified by this point to read NYCB or MTAB.

You are correct, 9504 and 9506 do not have NYCB branding on the rear. A handful of Flatbush's 2018 XD40s do not have it as well.