BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Does anyone know why the Q111 does a Pennisula Blvd only 1 time in the AM and PM?

and is it me or that most of the time BP lost its hybrids then regained its hybrids

I think it serves a school but I'm not 100% sure. The hybrids get transfer because of mileage. 3500-3523 were at BP but then they got transferred to FR in return for some of their buses.

3523 is still at BP

Edited by College Pt Man

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I will never understand is why they couldn't just keep the B5 or B50 designation since one was going to be 'extended' over the other portion. It's like they plucked the 82 number out of nowhere.

Yeah, and then the 83 came and now the new 84 (which the old one was the original 6).

I think it serves a school but I'm not 100% sure. The hybrids get transfer because of mileage. 3500-3523 were at BP but then they got transferred to FR in return for some of their buses.

3523 is still at BP

3537 is still with FR and 3548 would have been with BP had it not been scrapped

I really wonder why the (MTA) cant put those 5400 D60HF's in storage on the :bus_bullet_b1::bus_bullet_b9::bus_bullet_b35::bus_bullet_b35_ltd: and  :bus_bullet_b63:  routes.Rode a :bus_bullet_b9: today,two showed up at the same time and according to the BO's were scheduled to do so...One was packed with about 65 people crammed on one bus and the one behind had only 5 people...Saw the :bus_bullet_b1: load up at 4th and 86th...seemed the normal 60-70 people...next one didnt come for 30 minutes when there seemed to be 90-100 people waiting...Rode the :bus_bullet_b63: today also 60-70 people and the :bus_bullet_b35_ltd: also looked SRO at 5th and 39th both ways.I really think artics can help these routes immensly...

I really wonder why the (MTA) cant put those 5400 D60HF's in storage on the :bus_bullet_b1::bus_bullet_b9::bus_bullet_b35::bus_bullet_b35_ltd: and  :bus_bullet_b63:  routes.Rode a :bus_bullet_b9: today,two showed up at the same time and according to the BO's were scheduled to do so...One was packed with about 65 people crammed on one bus and the one behind had only 5 people...Saw the :bus_bullet_b1: load up at 4th and 86th...seemed the normal 60-70 people...next one didnt come for 30 minutes when there seemed to be 90-100 people waiting...Rode the :bus_bullet_b63: today also 60-70 people and the :bus_bullet_b35_ltd: also looked SRO at 5th and 39th both ways.I really think artics can help these routes immensly...

Some of the streets are too tight for an artic to operate there. The B1 making the turn at 5th Avenue & 86 Street is pretty tight and there really isn't that much space for it to move along with the B63. 5th Avenue itself for the B63 is not that wide. The only option available is to put more buses on the routes.

Some of the streets are too tight for an artic to operate there. The B1 making the turn at 5th Avenue & 86 Street is pretty tight and there really isn't that much space for it to move along with the B63. 5th Avenue itself for the B63 is not that wide. The only option available is to put more buses on the routes.

We've been over this man. Artics can make any turn that a 40-footer can make, and sometimes they can even make them more easily. I know that turn well, it's not all that bad. When you start to have turning radius worries is with rigid 45-50-60 foot buses, but our articulateds are just as flexible as their 40-foot counterparts.

We've been over this man. Artics can make any turn that a 40-footer can make, and sometimes they can even make them more easily. I know that turn well, it's not all that bad. When you start to have turning radius worries is with rigid 45-50-60 foot buses, but our articulateds are just as flexible as their 40-foot counterparts.

Hell, the D60s turn better since that front half is only 35'.

That turn on 5 Av and 86 St isn't bad at all, I've seen tractor trailers (with the 53' trailers) make that turn. The only problem is that people don't wait at the stop line there and move all the way up to the crosswalk.

Hell, the D60s turn better since that front half is only 35'.

That turn on 5 Av and 86 St isn't bad at all, I've seen tractor trailers (with the 53' trailers) make that turn. The only problem is that people don't wait at the stop line there and move all the way up to the crosswalk.

I think you may be talking about me right there I always walk there I always try to make it across that street before any of the cars turn.

The B9 doesn't need artics, it just needs buses spaced apart more evenly. All artics do is justify making headways longer b/w buses. Even the B41, which probably could use artics, shouldn't get them because the bunching north or Nostrand ave is just terrible. There's no reason to put artics everywhere because they should/could be put there.

It's official now:

http://new.mta.info/new-bus-service-coming-brooklyn-and-queens-september

New Bus Service Coming to Brooklyn and Queens in September

June 03rd, 2013

Come September 2013, MTA customers will have new options for travel in Brooklyn and Queens, including a fast way to get to LaGuardia Airport.  This is new or extended service that was first announced last summer as part of a $29 million investment by the MTA.  These proposals were all well-received by the public at community outreach meetings as well as at the Public Hearings.

B67

MTA NYC Transit will implement a new B67 bus route extension between Downtown Brooklyn and South Williamsburg via the Brooklyn Navy Yard on weekdays.  This extension of the B67 will serve DUMBO, Vinegar Hill and the Brooklyn Navy Yard.  Along with Downtown Brooklyn, these areas are part of the Brooklyn Tech Triangle, a growing cluster of economic activity in the region. These areas expect to add significantly more jobs and residents in the next few years; and this new investment will improve previously limited transportation options.

The bus will operate along its current route from Kensington to Downtown Brooklyn, travel along Jay Street, Front Street, Bridge Street, York Street, Gold Street, Sands Street, through the Brooklyn Navy Yard, and Kent Avenue to its northern terminal on Division Avenue, where it would connect with the B62.  Southbound, the route will travel along Wythe Avenue, Clymer Street, through the Brooklyn Navy Yard, Sands Street, Gold Street, York Street, Pearl Street, Sands Street, and Jay Street to resume the existing route to Kensington.  The B67 extension will also serve the York Street f.png station.

This extension will operate weekdays from 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. Evening, night and weekend B67 service will not change.  Its northern terminus will remain at Sands Street, far side, Jay Street with its current span of service.

B32

NYC Transit will also implement a new B32 bus route between the Williamsburg Bridge Plaza and the Court Square-23rd Streete.pngm.png Station in Long Island City.  The new bus route will serve waterfront areas in Williamsburg, Greenpoint, and Long Island City.  Over the past years, the waterfront areas in Williamsburg and Greenpoint have experienced significant growth.

The B32's southern terminal at Williamsburg Bridge Plaza will provide connections to the Marcy Avenue j.pngm.pngz.png Station and the B24, B39, B44, B46, B60, B62, Q54, and Q59 bus routes. Northbound, the B32 would travel along Broadway, Kent Avenue, Franklin Street, Green Street, McGuinness Boulevard, 11th Street, and 44th Drive to the Court Square- 23rd Street Station.  Southbound, the B32 would travel along 21st Street, Jackson Avenue, McGuinness Boulevard, Freeman Street, Franklin Street, North 14th Street, Wythe Avenue, and Broadway.

This route will operate seven days a week on a 30-minute headway from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. but will be monitored closely and adjustments will be made if necessary.

Q70/Q33

MTA Bus Company has been working closely with the New York City Department of Transportation (NYCDOT) in a joint effort including New York City Transit (NYCT) and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (PANYNJ) to analyze transit access alternatives to LaGuardia Airport.

The amended Q70 Limited route will operate as a full-time limited-stop service providing a fast and reliable bus connection between LaGuardia Airport and regional transit hubs. The Q70 Limited will serve the Woodside-61st Street Long Island Rail Road and 7.png subway station (both local and weekday peak direction express service), the 7.pnge.pngf.pngm.pngr.png station at Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Avenue, and then travel non-stop to and from LaGuardia Airport via the limited-access Brooklyn-Queens Expressway (BQE) and Grand Central Parkway.

At the airport, the Q70 Limited will serve all central airport terminals currently served by the Q33 (Terminals B, C and D). The Q70 will not serve the very remote and lightly-used Marine Air Terminal (Terminal A); passengers may continue to access this terminal to/from Jackson Heights via the Q47. The Q70 Limited is designed to provide an attractive service for airport passengers by reducing travel time by over 40% from Jackson Heights (compared with the current Q33), providing improved reliability and new regional connections via the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) and 7.png train at Woodside.  Travel times between Midtown Manhattan and LaGuardia Airport connecting at Woodside or Jackson Heights is estimated to be as fast as 45 minutes. Direct connections with the LIRR at Woodside would facilitate regional transit access to LaGuardia Airport from the eight LIRR branches that currently have no access.

The Q70 Limited will operate 24 hours, seven days a week, the same hours of service as the current Q33. Initially, the Q70 Limited will run on a 12-minute frequency during most of the day, with 15-minute and 20-minute headways during early morning and late evening periods; and 30 minute headways during overnight periods.

As a result of the changes to the Q70, the Q33 will terminate outside LaGuardia Airport on 95th Street at Ditmars Boulevard.  This shortens the Q33 and will avoid redundant service between LaGuardia Airport and Jackson Heights.  It will also allow the Q33 to better serve its primary ridership in the local communities to and from the intermodal hub at Roosevelt Avenue-74thStreet, separate local community ridership from airport ridership and the associated luggage, and improve reliability on the Q33 by providing scheduled recovery time at both ends of the route.

The amended Q33 will retain its current hours of service operating 24 hours a day, seven days a week. There will be minor modifications in the Q33 frequency during the AM peak and weekend periods based on changes in ridership levels due to the re-distribution of most of the current LaGuardia Airport customers to the new Q70 Limited.

lol orion., what do you know about nextbus technologies? cause that's the technology for the GPS of the leetran beach trollies use.

Nextbus is like MTA Bustime, open source and whatever. I personally don't like it as much as CD BusTime of course but it's not so bad. In fact MTA BusTime data is available on the Nextbus site and it has a "countdown clock" and a bunch of other things MTA BusTime doesn't have, so folks complaining that MTA BusTime doesn't have a "coundtown clock"-like service like CD's system has can just go to the Nextbus site instead of MTA BusTime and it's there. As long as they still got annunciators (which we're apparently slated to get after the BusTime rollout) on the buses IDC what tracking service they use.

It happened again today...if anything the 86th crosstown route should get artics at the current frequency...

The B9 doesn't need artics, it just needs buses spaced apart more evenly. All artics do is justify making headways longer b/w buses. Even the B41, which probably could use artics, shouldn't get them because the bunching north or Nostrand ave is just terrible. There's no reason to put artics everywhere because they should/could be put there.

At least the :bus_bullet_b1: should get them...