BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

The S40 is the only option to the ferry between that or the S66. Victory Blvd has entirely too much traffic.

The S40 needs an entirely new schedule though because it does not make sense. Each day should run like the Sunday Schedule with each run meeting a ferry with time to catch it. The introducing of some off-peak S90 service ahead of the north shore changes would help a great deal as well because that's what the new bus way will be albeit a bit more fancy.

The S40 is quick enough as is. The S46 & S48 need expanded limited-stop service way before the S40 does. If midday service ran every 15 minutes instead of every 20, buses would be slightly less crowded and would be better coordinated with the ferry.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The S40 is quick enough as is. The S46 & S48 need expanded limited-stop service way before the S40 does. If midday service ran every 15 minutes instead of every 20, buses would be slightly less crowded and would be better coordinated with the ferry.

Problem is, current service really doesn't warrant 15 minute headways during the midday, but yes it would be better for those catching a ferry.

I have a flashback question:

What was the reason of the

1) M60 to 126 St and M66/72 to MJQ?

2) M96/106 to Tuskegee even tho 100 St (Tuskegee) handles artics? 

The M60 was slated to get artics which wouldn't be possible at MHV, the acquisition of the M60 meant 126th would give up the M66 and M72, and the acquisition of the M66 and M72 would push the M96 and M106 out of MJQ to TU (which had the shortest deadhead for both routes).

Was looking at some of the "driver graffiti" as I call it in the front of 9114 on the Q11, one said "one hell of a BITCH" (and that bus sure is something) and something like "NO ROOKIES - 10 YR+ ONLY HA HA". Does JFK have some kind of policy that only senior B/Os can pull out RTS?

Oh boy the RTS bulletin board. I learned the hard way of what "NO ROOKIES", "S/L" (Short left) and "S/R" (short right) mean on the RTS.  It was like my 3rd day on my own, I had an RTS on the Bx36 with all those damn turns I had to back up at least 5 times lol the wheel would only go about 1.5 turns to the right which is a sizable difference from a bus that turns as it should.  Even some of the D60's have short lefts/rights, I learned the hard way on 147th and Broadway at like 1am making a u-turn to do my last trip to Bronx Pk.

The M60 was slated to get artics which wouldn't be possible at MHV, the acquisition of the M60 meant 126th would give up the M66 and M72, and the acquisition of the M66 and M72 would push the M96 and M106 out of MJQ to TU (which had the shortest deadhead for both routes).

MHV had the M96 and M106 before going to TU. I still don't know why they were moved out of MHV though.

MHV had the M96 and M106 before going to TU. I still don't know why they were moved out of MHV though.

Oh yeah, I'm forgetting all this stuff. MHV had the 96/106 until June 2010, then Quill from June 2010 till Jan 2011, then MHV until Jan 2012. What was his question, why TU got the routes? That just came down to deadhead time I think, and TU had the space.

Edited by MHV9218

On Friday when I was on a local Bx12, there were two kids that hopped on through the middle door (LFSA) and the B/O called them out, but not for the reason that you would think.

He told the kids to put their shirts on. Not one quip about the fare, he only told them to put their shirts on. I got a nice chuckle out of it.

On Friday when I was on a local Bx12, there were two kids that hopped on through the middle door (LFSA) and the B/O called them out, but not for the reason that you would think.

He told the kids to put their shirts on. Not one quip about the fare, he only told them to put their shirts on. I got a nice chuckle out of it.

No shirt, no shoes, no service :P

Problem is, current service really doesn't warrant 15 minute headways during the midday, but yes it would be better for those catching a ferry.

The S40 was a victim to service cuts not lack of ridership. The 20-minute headways are unnecessary though, either run the bus every 15 minutes or every 30 minutes. The schedule on the 20 minutes has two out of three buses missing the ferry by a couple of minutes while on Sundays every bus is correctly timed.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/staten/s040cur.pdf

Edited by North Shore Line

This is great news... Part of the reason that Senator Golden was unable to really fight for the X28 the way he did for the X27 was because the X28 doesn't run through his district entirely, so he fought to have the X17 make the stop in Dyker Heights.  The most southern portions of the route are not in Senator Golden's district (i.e. Seagate and Coney Island).  I shall reach out to Mr. Colton's office to show my support in assisting with the X28 revival.  Hopefully he'll be able to coordinate with Ulmer Park Depot in pushing to get service restorations.

It's not always about making ferry connections. Why have buses run 15 minutes if they carry very little people? They arent even that crowded with the current headways anyway.

Something that you fail to realize is that better frequencies and reliable service can help to attract more riders that may currently be avoiding the route because of said reasons. Would you prefer to wait for a bus every 30 minutes or every 15 minutes? I think the answer is fairly obvious and if the service can be provided with minimal costs, it should be implemented accordingly.  Staten Island has long been perceived as a difficult place to reach due to poor transportation and many residents shun public transit on the island because of unreliability and long waits amongst other things.  It was certainly a reason why I left Staten Island.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

This is great news... Part of the reason that Senator Golden was unable to really fight for the X28 the way he did for the X27 was because the X28 doesn't run through his district entirely, so he fought to have the X17 make the stop in Dyker Heights.  The most southern portions of the route are not in Senator Golden's district (i.e. Seagate and Coney Island).  I shall reach out to Mr. Colton's office to show my support in assisting with the X28 revival.  Hopefully he'll be able to coordinate with Ulmer Park Depot in pushing to get service restorations.

They've been wanting it back for a long time now.

Something that you fail to realize is that better frequencies and reliable service can help to attract more riders that may currently be avoiding the route because of said reasons. Would you prefer to wait for a bus every 30 minutes or every 15 minutes? I think the answer is fairly obvious and if the service can be provided with minimal costs, it should be implemented accordingly. Staten Island has long been perceived as a difficult place to reach due to poor transportation and many residents shun public transit on the island because of unreliability and long waits amongst other things. It was certainly a reason why I left Staten Island.

I know how horrible Staten Island buses are. Like I you, I used to live there, so I don't fail to realize anything. But another thing is the routes aren't just for making connections to the ferry.

Quick question  has there ever been a bus or subway line that was directly cut/eliminated just for the sake of being a sacrificial lamb for some new service etc

This was done to make the B82 route, I'm not sure what the original routes were though.

As for the subway, the diamond (Q)  was eliminated and replaced with the (B) train.

Quick question  has there ever been a bus or subway line that was directly cut/eliminated just for the sake of being a sacrificial lamb for some new service etc

I know routes have been combined in this way, but none really sacrificed like that...

B47 (OLD) and B62 (OLD) == B43

B5 and B50 == B82

B40 and B78 == B47

I know how horrible Staten Island buses are. Like I you, I used to live there, so I don't fail to realize anything. But another thing is the routes aren't just for making connections to the ferry.

Then you of all people should know better than to make a comment like that. Staten Island has it bad enough as it is.  Doesn't help to have former residents calling for less service.   <_< Hell they're still running the same lousy ferry service on weekends that they've had for years now. 

I know routes have been combined in this way, but none really sacrificed like that...

B47 (OLD) and B62 (OLD) == B43

B5 and B50 == B82

B40 and B78 == B47

What I will never understand is why they couldn't just keep the B5 or B50 designation since one was going to be 'extended' over the other portion. It's like they plucked the 82 number out of nowhere.

What I will never understand is why they couldn't just keep the B5 or B50 designation since one was going to be 'extended' over the other portion. It's like they plucked the 82 number out of nowhere.

I could never understand why they couldn't be left alone