BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When NFI eventually wins the larger chunk of this next order, I just hope they don't rush on their buses. The current XD40s are rattly, unreliable shit. Also, too many of them (Ulmer Park ones, anyways) have more jerk in the transmission than a west indies food spot.

Lmfaoo! but one thing I like that the Xcelsiors do when shifting is the rumbling. some buses when shifting gears it rumbles... kinda sounds like thunder...I love it!

some buses that do it great is

This is technically LIB, but the buses were bought back during (MTA) control of that agency. Why the hell do the Long Island 1700s have the awful stop-request tape instead of the pulleys and buttons on seat handles? What was the rationale behind that? Was on 1754 today and shocked to see that the only way to request a stop was to lean over a seat for the tape.

This is technically LIB, but the buses were bought back during (MTA) control of that agency. Why the hell do the Long Island 1700s have the awful stop-request tape instead of the pulleys and buttons on seat handles? What was the rationale behind that? Was on 1754 today and shocked to see that the only way to request a stop was to lean over a seat for the tape.

IIRC Nassau ordered and spec'd the buses. The 1800s were MTA spec'd.

Oh sweet Jesus what morons. It's like nobody thought that at any point someone other than the person in the window seat might want to request a stop.

It doesn't hurt to reach over half a foot and touch the tape to request a stop, or does it?

The other question is: why were the batch of buses in the 6290-6349 batch never moved off of Staten Island (except for a few units)? 6327-6349 for the most part have been at Yukon for their entire time.  It is similar to how RTS buses 3749-3799 were on SI for their entire lives---and ended up being among the earliest 1984 GMC RTSs to be sent to the shredder. (The last ones to leave the roster were Gleason originals in 3469 and 3474, and a Walnut original in 3503).

Lots of firsts today:

- I rode my first and second express route. Not the first time I rode an MCI, though.

- I rode the X10, the X12, the S59, and the S46 for the first time.

- I fanned Staten Island for the first time.

- I saw an RTS, an Orion V, an Orion VII LF, and MCIs at Staten Island for the first time.

- I visited Port Richmond for the first time.

- I rode an Orion VII LF for the first time.

- I had my first breakdown, too. 2107 on the X10 got stuck at Park Row when the kneeling thing wouldn't let the bus move. It didn't budge, so the MCI wouldn't move. That's why I rode the X12.

- I ate a pizza and drank a Snapple Orangeade at Staten Island for the first time, too. :)

- I also had my first express bus skip me. I was waiting at Heberton Avenue for the 6:16 X10, but the guy just speed past me and my friend. Which is why I had to take the S46 to St. George.

So for the RTS:

- 9623 and 9648 were both on the S89.

Edited by GojiMet86

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/crime/man_who_robbed_years_bus_driver_ymJjjzIRiVneqGt7ERmQBL

Man who robbed bus driver at gunpoint sentenced to 5 years

By REBECCA HARSHBARGER and FRANK ROSARIO

Last Updated: 10:51 AM, August 21, 2013

Posted: 10:38 AM, August 21, 2013

A Bronx judge threw the book at a thug today who robbed a bus driver at knifepoint.

David Walker, 47, was convicted of first-degree robbery and sentenced to five years after he held up driver Janisha Allen on her Bx22 route in Castle Hill last November.

“Give me all the money that you have,” he snarled at her, according to a Criminal Court complaint.

Detectives from the 43rd precinct quickly collared Walker a day after the robbery.

“We are grateful for the efforts of the NYPD and the Bronx DA’s office to remove a dangerous felon from the streets,” said Darryl Irck, MTA NYCT head of buses.

He said that protecting bus drivers is a top priority that includes partitions, cameras, and training for drivers to prevent dangerous situations.

“We will continue to work closely with the NYPD on these security issues including identifying hot spots where problems most frequently occur,” he added.

A really random thought, but I remember seeing an Orion 7 3G (708x) heading back to NYC through the GWB as I was departing NYC after a trip with some friends. Interesting how even the Orion 7 3Gs are now making trips to the Daimler service centers now...

They are under warranty repairs.

A little something from the NY Times, it talks about the B110 and the practice of segregation at the end.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/22/nyregion/hasidic-jews-turn-up-pressure-on-city-to-accommodate-their-traditions.html?ref=nyregion&_r=0&pagewanted=all

...And on a public bus service that plies a route between the Hasidic neighborhoods of Williamsburg and Borough Park, Brooklyn, men sit up front and women in the back, hewing to the practice of avoiding casual mingling of the sexes, even after Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg condemned the arrangement...

...Sometimes a city ruling seems beside the point. A city-franchised company that operates the B110 bus that ferries people between Williamsburg and Borough Park no longer enforces the Hasidic custom that men and women sit apart in social situations. But since virtually all the riders traveling that route are Hasidic, the men and women choose to do so on their own and do not complain about segregation.

Edited by GojiMet86

A little something from the NY Times, it talks about the B110 and the practice of segregation at the end.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/22/nyregion/hasidic-jews-turn-up-pressure-on-city-to-accommodate-their-traditions.html?ref=nyregion&_r=0&pagewanted=all

This is why I say the city needs to strip them of that DOT route franchise. They wanna do a private "club"-like service where they force women to sit in the back because their pee-pees feel small if women are equal, go right the f**k ahead. Free country and it's your right if it's a private religious service, but don't get a public route franchise and try to enforce your batshit fundamentalist ideology on it. The only reason religious groups get away with shit like that is that their members are by and large morons who do literally whatever they're told to do and vote out anyone who doesn't bend over.