BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW, did anybody hear about the major traffic jams that happened on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning as a result of the West Street incident? People were talking about 3-4 hour commutes on Wednesday morning. (Of course, my condolences go out to the friends and relatives of those who died, and I'm not saying it wasn't necessary to close down the street)

8 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Im reading the pick schedules on lga pick and some runs at some terminals have drpbk what does that mean? I know what dhd means deadhead yes?

It does mean Dropback but it means to not depart for the specified amount of time, thus dropping back (or down) a headway. For the most part, MTA Bus and some NYCT hawks use dropbacks as their way of giving operators their meal break on the road, without having them deadhead to/from the depot first. 

On 11/7/2017 at 11:26 AM, SevenEleven said:

It does mean Dropback but it means to not depart for the specified amount of time, thus dropping back (or down) a headway. For the most part, MTA Bus and some NYCT hawks use dropbacks as their way of giving operators their meal break on the road, without having them deadhead to/from the depot first. 

PATH does something similar. Me and a conductor shared a coffee break and current events on my last photo run in New Jersey.

About August 2016.

18 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Rode the M50 earlier this morning..... Some kind of something another taking place on 50th b/w 6th & 7th (yeah, looked like yet another street fair), so buses are detouring right now.....

The M50 becomes more useless every year... Crane operations, street fairs... Then basically from late Novrmber until next year they'll be one detour because of the amount of tourists in the West Midtown area.

Lmao to whoever did the Q53 SBS codes, the front side correctly says Woodside - 61st St Sta but the side sign says Elmhurst - Woodhaven Blvd Sta 😂😂😂

I was just on 6080, which was taken OOS because the window behind the driver had the emergency handle pulled and she couldn't get it to close. It was sitting at Myrtle Avenue for a while until the driver took it out of service.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The M50 becomes more useless every year... Crane operations, street fairs... Then basically from late Novrmber until next year they'll be one detour because of the amount of tourists in the West Midtown area.

The bldg. constructions/renovations/whatever is the #1 reason I tend to walk with hesitancy whenever I walk along one of the side streets.... If not for 'fanning, I have no real use for crosstowns; I refrain from using 'em otherwise.... Crosstowns like the M8, M50, M66 (routes that utilize side streets) are the pits.... I remember some ppl. here actually wanted a 27th/28th st crosstown, I'm like, for what.... Those side streets in the W. 20's are good for having all them dam cranes, and generators (or whatever the hell those monstrosities situated in the street are, taking up like 10% of one side of the block) & shit.....

1 hour ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

Lmao to whoever did the Q53 SBS codes, the front side correctly says Woodside - 61st St Sta but the side sign says Elmhurst - Woodhaven Blvd Sta 😂😂😂

Damn, I know the MTA wants to paint the picture that SBS' is the fastest mode of surface transit possible, but this is just too much :lol::lol:

5 hours ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

I was just on 6080, which was taken OOS because the window behind the driver had the emergency handle pulled and she couldn't get it to close. It was sitting at Myrtle Avenue for a while until the driver took it out of service.

That's one of the easiest fixes on the bus.  Just push the window out and as far up as you can go and let it slam