BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

18 minutes ago, Fresh Pond said:

That's one of the easiest fixes on the bus.  Just push the window out and as far up as you can go and let it slam

She tried for a bit but it didn't work. I eventually got off the bus and walked down to Atlantic Avenue where I saw 6080 OOS heading down to the Rockaways.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it looks like Q21 service once again will run to (well, I should say FROM) the Rockaways.

If we are to believe what BusTime displays, the Q21 starts off from Beach 104 Street & Beach Channel Drive, then via Broad Channel and onto mainland Queens. This previously was served by Q52 LIMITED school trips, so I'm guessing that those trips (4 trips total) have been turned into Q21 trips. 

12 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

So it looks like Q21 service once again will run to (well, I should say FROM) the Rockaways.

If we are to believe what BusTime displays, the Q21 starts off from Beach 104 Street & Beach Channel Drive, then via Broad Channel and onto mainland Queens. This previously was served by Q52 LIMITED school trips, so I'm guessing that those trips (4 trips total) have been turned into Q21 trips. 

A quick glance at the Transit app confirms this. It's making Q22 stops on Rockaway Beach Blvd, then all local stops in Broad Channel

5 hours ago, Calvin said:

Now that the Q52/53 are articulated routes, is there a change in ridership/overcrowding back then?

To soon to tell. You'll have to give it a month or two.

On 11/12/2017 at 11:43 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The M50 becomes more useless every year... Crane operations, street fairs... Then basically from late Novrmber until next year they'll be one detour because of the amount of tourists in the West Midtown area.

Wait till the tree lighting and the entire month of December....I feel for those operators that have to sit in that horrendous traffic

3 hours ago, Bosco said:

How exactly are the new XD60s assigned?  I've been hearing conflicting reports about which ones are at NYCT and which ones are at MTABC.  Is there any significance to the odd numbers versus the even numbers?

At one point, they were regularly assigned to strictly NYCT depots(Casey Stengel, 100th Street, Grand Avenue), but with the Q52/Q53 SBS being launched, the majority of the even numbered XD60s are now at MTA Bus at LGA and JFK.

At the rate this order has been going, it's just all over the place.

The even numbered buses have a few spec changes compared to the odd numbered buses.

On 11/12/2017 at 11:43 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The M50 becomes more useless every year... Crane operations, street fairs... Then basically from late Novrmber until next year they'll be one detour because of the amount of tourists in the West Midtown area.

Is this designation also fair for the M66?

Is it possible to make XTowns wraparound a wider section of block so they can serve another east-west road? 

Like having the M72 loop around both 72nd and 68th Streets, and the M42 cover both 42nd and 49th Streets, rendering the M50 and M66 pointless.

This suggestion would work best with alternate side parking removed on one side of each mentioned block, wraparound bus lanes and TSP.

Otherwise, my suggestion would overlook the issues on those roads that plague existing bus service on those blocks.

The very busy nature of Manhattan makes bus service non viable, especially for XTowns.

Just now, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

Is it possible to make XTowns wraparound a wider section of block so they can serve another east-west road? 

Like having the M72 loop around both 72nd and 68th Streets, and the M42 cover both 42nd and 49th Streets, rendering the M50 and M66 pointless.

This suggestion would work best with alternate side parking removed on one side of each mentioned block, wraparound bus lanes and TSP.

Otherwise, my suggestion would overlook the issues on those roads that plague existing bus service on those blocks.

The very busy nature of Manhattan makes bus service non viable, especially for XTowns.

They are a necessary evil, especially for those with mobile issues.  When I have to go from West to East in Midtown, I hate it because the blocks are long as hell on the west side.  However, the M50 runs so infrequently that I rarely catch it, even with BusTime on. I have much better luck with the M31/M57 or the M42.  The M50 goes through streets that are actually wide enough in most areas. The problem is the amount of double parking and congestion.  You need better enforcement.  That and fewer damn cranes.

@Via Garibaldi 8 or better yet, they should cut their losses.

I know bus cuts aren't viewed as cool, but if they had to happen, I would support three conditions:

Manhattan first.

Western Queen's second.

Hands off Richmond.

I find it pitiful they are only slated for one more SBS (glorified LTD).

I would nominate the S59/99 and S62/92 for SBS 

Some wishes and expectations do come true:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/busqns.pdf

Now has a Elmhurst/Rego Park Inset.  But it isn't the MTA without errors on the inset. There are several errors on that inset (bonus to whoever can find them all). Some are notable, others not so much.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

18 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Wait till the tree lighting and the entire month of December....I feel for those operators that have to sit in that horrendous traffic

At least they get some overtime out of it.

26 minutes ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

@Via Garibaldi 8 

I would nominate the S59/99 and S62/92 for SBS 

There's no S99. The S89 is considered the limited-stop version of the S59, and as somebody who lives near both the S59/89 and S62/92, I can tell you that SBS on either corridor is completely unnecessary.

18 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Some wishes and expectations do come true:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/busqns.pdf

Now has a Elmhurst/Rego Park Inset.  But it isn't the MTA without errors on the inset. There are several errors on that inset (bonus to whoever can find them all). Some are notable, others not so much.

The eastbound Q38 teleports from Junction & 57th to 99th & 60th.

59th Avenue is shown as running westbound instead of eastbound.

3 hours ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

Sure, if you want to make OTP for those routes even worse...

As an occasional M42 and M66 rider, I sure as hell don't want my bus sitting in 49th or 72nd Street traffic on its way to me.

Earlier this evening, during the PM rush I rode a B82 short turn to Rockaway Parkway (L) station, but it was coming FROM starett city. I always assumed the 82 get hammered at Rockaway parkway (L) station going towards Coney Island during the PM rush so it was weird to see. Its like a B41 short turning at Flatbush Junction coming from Downtown BK.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Earlier this evening, during the PM rush I rode a B82 short turn to Rockaway Parkway (L) station, but it was coming FROM starett city. I always assumed the 82 get hammered at Rockaway parkway (L) station going towards Coney Island during the PM rush so it was weird to see. Its like a B41 short turning at Flatbush Junction coming from Downtown BK.

I think that one was going back to the depot. 

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:23 AM, B35 via Church said:

Rode the M50 earlier this morning..... Some kind of something another taking place on 50th b/w 6th & 7th (yeah, looked like yet another street fair), so buses are detouring right now.....

Remember 49th St is major bus congested used by sightseeing tour buses and NY Waterway shuttle buses. Sometimes even Horse Carriage drivers use 49th and 50th Sts illegaly which they're not permitted by NYCDHM.

Edited by FamousNYLover

On 11/14/2017 at 9:15 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

At least they get some overtime out of it.

There's no S99. The S89 is considered the limited-stop version of the S59, and as somebody who lives near both the S59/89 and S62/92, I can tell you that SBS on either corridor is completely unnecessary.

I wonder why it sounded weird at first.

I'll take your  word for it.

On 11/14/2017 at 11:55 PM, Around the Horn said:

Sure, if you want to make OTP for those routes even worse...

As an occasional M42 and M66 rider, I sure as hell don't want my bus sitting in 49th or 72nd Street traffic on its way to me.

You partially quoted me.

Buses sit in traffic because they can't make the best use of the road. I specifically mentioned TSP, wraparound lanes and alternate side parking reduction.

By itself, my suggestion is regressive and god-awful. But so are the roads beneath some of the city's worst routes, and omitting solutions leaves only the problems, which will get worse on their own.

1 hour ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

You partially quoted me.

Buses sit in traffic because they can't make the best use of the road. I specifically mentioned TSP, wraparound lanes and alternate side parking reduction.

By itself, my suggestion is regressive and god-awful. But so are the roads beneath some of the city's worst routes, and omitting solutions leaves only the problems, which will get worse on their own.

Yeah, but what problem does your proposal solve? Who wants to get from 66th Street to 42nd Street via the West Side Highway or FDR Drive instead of a direct north-south route?

1 hour ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

You partially quoted me.

Then just do the TSP and bus lanes with the current routes. Lengthening routes by combining them cancels out the benefits...