MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

There's currently a Future bus order for MTA bus, 50 diesel 40 foot buses with 85 buses as an option order, Not awarded yet.

25 of these are from the 2015-2020 capital program

the other 25 are from the 2020-2024 capital program and if the 85 option order is awarded, this to would come from this capital program.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, limitednyc said:

Is there talk of artic expansion after  the  B15 and the B82+.

More than likely you'll see the B82 SBS turn into an artic route. Right now, I don't see any other route in the city becoming artic, unless if there's sleepers.

58 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

My guess could be Flatbush: B41/B44/B46 locals possibly becoming all artic and Gleason with B68. 

If this happens, I see the XDs in Manhattan and the Q44 moving to those local routes (yes, even the new ones). The B68 however, you may need two new XN60 orders entirely, due to one of the orders are due for Queens for at least 3 CP routes (Q25, Q65, Q66 to name them). In terms of the rest of MTAB, the Q64, Q6 and maybe even the Q60 or Q33 (those lines get packed easily), could be next.

Edited by NBTA

5 minutes ago, NBTA said:

If this happens, I see the XDs in Manhattan and the Q44 moving to those local routes (yes, even the new ones). The B68 however, you may need two new XN60 orders entirely, due to one of the orders are due for Queens for at least 3 CP routes (Q25, Q65, Q66 to name them). In terms of the rest of MTAB, the Q64, Q6 and maybe even the Q60 or Q33 (those lines get packed easily), could be next.

This is just me speaking out loud..  However, I say East New York goes first with the B15 and B82, than Flatbush with the B41/44/46 locals.  Those swaps possibly happen with the current fleet we have and maybe with another artic order for New Flyer and Nova.  Part of me wishes that the MTA could of did an option order on the XN60's for Gleason back then for possible expansion for artics for the B68 perhaps. I'm not 100% sure if the MTA will continue with CNG's once the current tanks expire.

To your answer: Definitely more XDs to Manhattan & Brooklyn, Q44 moves their SBS fleet to local fleet to mix with the Q12. I say for the MTA bus portion that's gonna be tough but I get you.

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

This is just me speaking out loud..  However, I say East New York goes first with the B15 and B82, than Flatbush with the B41/44/46 locals.  Those swaps possibly happen with the current fleet we have and maybe with another artic order for New Flyer and Nova.  Part of me wishes that the MTA could of did an option order on the XN60's for Gleason back then for possible expansion for artics for the B68 perhaps. I'm not 100% sure if the MTA will continue with CNG's once the current tanks expire.

To your answer: Definitely more XDs to Manhattan & Brooklyn, Q44 moves their SBS fleet to local fleet to mix with the Q12. I say for the MTA bus portion that's gonna be tough but I get you.

I see the entire CS artic fleet getting moved, and being replaced by novas, those 2016/2017s are in horrible shape anyways, they sound nice but aren't really working yo their fullest extend. I've seen plenty of 2012s on the 44 out of the random too.

2 hours ago, NBTA said:

I see the entire CS artic fleet getting moved, and being replaced by novas, those 2016/2017s are in horrible shape anyways, they sound nice but aren't really working yo their fullest extend. I've seen plenty of 2012s on the 44 out of the random too.

They could always swap the 2016/17 units with 2017/18/19 LFSAs from Quill and the 2012 units with 2011/12/13 LFSAs from Tuskegee.

16 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

If anyone is wondering, Prevosts 1300 and 1304 are both trackable now. 1300 is on the QM35 and 1304 is on the QM2.

They've been trackable for about a couple weeks now, but good update to you sir.

Edit: 1300's first day was on the BxM9 ironically for the CP trip.

Another Edit: 1304 squeals like a seal.

Edited by NBTA

10 hours ago, NBTA said:

They've been trackable for about a couple weeks now, but good update to you sir.

Edit: 1300's first day was on the BxM9 ironically for the CP trip.

Another Edit: 1304 squeals like a seal.

It's first day was on the QM5, then spent the afternoon as a training bus.

On 1/20/2021 at 9:20 AM, NBTA said:

The B68 however, you may need two new XN60 orders entirely, due to one of the orders are due for Queens for at least 3 CP routes (Q25, Q65, Q66 to name them).

On 1/20/2021 at 9:36 AM, Future ENY OP said:

Part of me wishes that the MTA could of did an option order on the XN60's for Gleason back then for possible expansion for artics for the B68 perhaps. I'm not 100% sure if the MTA will continue with CNG's once the current tanks expire.

I'm just speculating but I think its far more likely we see XE60 orders for these routes...

Conversion of several depots to electric operations was in the 2020-2024 Capital Program (of course its now a question of what actually gets funding in a post pandemic world)

On 1/19/2021 at 4:57 AM, MysteriousBtrain said:

Update on deliveries according to this month's board meeting:

Officially listed in development (from 2015-19):

• 45 40 ft all-electric buses (for NYCT)
  • 25 40 ft clean Diesel buses (for MTA Bus)

Looking at this again. At this point, do we think the Proterras edge out XE40s for the order? They haven't tested XE40s on any long-distance routes, which doesn't seem like a vote of confidence. And no interest in so far in the LFSe, even though we have LFS HEVs a plenty.

On 1/21/2021 at 5:22 AM, Cait Sith said:

It's first day was on the QM5, then spent the afternoon as a training bus.

Are the new 1300s being used every day? I know there are only a handful of them so far, but other than the time I caught 1300 on the QM6, haven't seen them on any other roues or on the tracker when I take a look at it. 

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Are the new 1300s being used every day? I know there are only a handful of them so far, but other than the time I caught 1300 on the QM6, haven't seen them on any other roues or on the tracker when I take a look at it. 

Not everyday.

Last week, #1302 and #1303 stayed at the depot (before today they were last seen in service on the 14th and 15th respectively on the QM1) while only #1300 and #1304 went out. Today, #1302 and #1304 were out during the PM rush on the QM35 and QM2.

I’d assume once more of the Prevosts start arriving we’ll see them being used more often and more frequently. But when the 4 Prevosts at CP do go out, they show up on any route and usually during rush hours, though they have made a few late night and weekend runs.

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Kinda sorta.

One op has had one on the 8:10AM QM6 from NST and on the 6:45PM QM2 consistently since they've had them. Another op with a PM BxM9 run has had it every now and then.

I managed to catch two in Midtown after 10pm when I got off of work. I saw 1300 on the QM8 one night when I was attempting to get a video of it, but the Q44 screwed me over lol.

DSC00640.jpg

DSC00617.jpg

13 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Looking at this again. At this point, do we think the Proterras edge out XE40s for the order? They haven't tested XE40s on any long-distance routes, which doesn't seem like a vote of confidence. And no interest in so far in the LFSe, even though we have LFS HEVs a plenty.

Just to clarify my own point (lol), I was re-reading the MTA's original test announcement. The XE40s are specced for on-route charging and have much smaller batteries than the Proterras (about 1/3 the size). The Proterras are designed for overnight charging and that's why they run longer-distance routes.

Sort of odd to me the MTA would test two totally different systems on two totally different buses. Wouldn't apples-to-apples (an XE40 fleet with both large and small batteries; a Proterra fleet with both large and small batteries) be a good way to control for manufacturing differences as well as figuring out whether the on-route or overnight is better for the MTA? The MTA is actually leasing everything: buses, overnight chargers, and on-route chargers from both New Flyer and Proterra. Word from the DOB guys is that range is depleted by roughly 30% when weather drops below 45º, which is a challenge.

Award of the 45 bus order was supposed to happen in 2020 with delivery in 2021. I don't think the award ever actually happened.

What the board meetings as of 2020 show is 70 electric buses total, with 45 for NYCT and 25 for MTAB. 

T7030216 Purchase 45 All-Electric Buses 

U8030201 Purchase 25 Standard All-Electric Buses 

3 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Just to clarify my own point (lol), I was re-reading the MTA's original test announcement. The XE40s are specced for on-route charging and have much smaller batteries than the Proterras (about 1/3 the size). The Proterras are designed for overnight charging and that's why they run longer-distance routes.

Sort of odd to me the MTA would test two totally different systems on two totally different buses. Wouldn't apples-to-apples (an XE40 fleet with both large and small batteries; a Proterra fleet with both large and small batteries) be a good way to control for manufacturing differences as well as figuring out whether the on-route or overnight is better for the MTA? The MTA is actually leasing everything: buses, overnight chargers, and on-route chargers from both New Flyer and Proterra. Word from the DOB guys is that range is depleted by roughly 30% when weather drops below 45º, which is a challenge.

Award of the 45 bus order was supposed to happen in 2020 with delivery in 2021. I don't think the award ever actually happened.

What the board meetings as of 2020 show is 70 electric buses total, with 45 for NYCT and 25 for MTAB. 

T7030216 Purchase 45 All-Electric Buses 

U8030201 Purchase 25 Standard All-Electric Buses 

I think those 25 electric Buses would go to Baisley Park, It would make sense. they can run them on the Q64 / Q112 since those are short routes.

41 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

I think those 25 electric Buses would go to Baisley Park, It would make sense. they can run them on the Q64 / Q112 since those are short routes.

They were(at one point) planned for Eastchester. Eastchester was one of the depots originally announced for electric conversion.

They're gonna have to do some serious thinking about range if they run them out of Eastchester. Q50 runs probably have some of the highest daily mileage of any one route, and I don't know if you can charge them up enough during lay-overs. The 23 on the other hand is short and sweet, but I assume everything's interlined. 

Question is how well the Proterras are doing on the 57/59/62, longer routes like that which really test the range. Seems like at least 1-2 of the BE40s are on the 32/39 every day. One of them's been at the vendor.

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

They're gonna have to do some serious thinking about range if they run them out of Eastchester. Q50 runs probably have some of the highest daily mileage of any one route, and I don't know if you can charge them up enough during lay-overs. The 23 on the other hand is short and sweet, but I assume everything's interlined. 

Question is how well the Proterras are doing on the 57/59/62, longer routes like that which really test the range. Seems like at least 1-2 of the BE40s are on the 32/39 every day. One of them's been at the vendor.

The BE40’s also work the B47 from time to time.