MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I heard a rumor that they were going with plug rear doors for this order to facilitate all door boarding but no official word yet.

I completely forgot about that. The plug doors was one of the few new specs they pitched for in the RFP. I believe that will happen.

On 12/6/2019 at 9:28 AM, JeremiahC99 said:

Okay. I was referring with bigger moves when the XE60s come in. I’m making an educated guess that once the XE’s begin to hit service (something I’m waiting for), the 2016-17 XD60s could make their way to FB.

Also, I hope the new B46 SBS artics make their way onto runs in the 6:00 AM to 8:00 AM slot.

According to my union chairman at my depot, it looks like the sb46 will be fully articulated buses runs. But of course if there isn't enough articulated buses to pull out for service since they are splitting buses with the sb44, Sometimes you may see some of the 40ft wrap buses in service for both lines. Most of the 40ft wrap buses will be unwrapped and thrown into local service.

On 12/6/2019 at 9:33 AM, JeremiahC99 said:

Gleason has another artic route to convert? 

Gee, I like that these new artics are coming to Brooklyn, but seriously where’s the love for Flatbush. I know of a route there that “could” use some artics.

Words are rapidly spreading around at the depot with managements  last week regarding changing  Flatbush fleet into Articulated fleet only since majority of the routes are straight forward except  for the B2 and B31 that are short.

This week we used only articulated buses for the J , Q, and A shuttle. I know myself the other day I pulled out the new Nova articulated bus to do the J shuttle from Broadway "Williamsburg" to Manhattan Essex Street. We had 12 Articulated buses together riding down Utica avenue/Malcom X Blvd  deadheading to the starting point  Hewes Street and Broadway in Brooklyn. "Yes we were able to make that left turn from Malcolm X Blvd into Broadway."

25 minutes ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

According to my union chairman at my depot, it looks like the sb46 will be fully articulated buses runs. But of course if there isn't enough articulated buses to pull out for service since they are splitting buses with the sb44, Sometimes you may see some of the 40ft wrap buses in service for both lines. Most of the 40ft wrap buses will be unwrapped and thrown into local service.

Words are rapidly spreading around at the depot with managements  last week regarding changing  Flatbush fleet into Articulated fleet only since majority of the routes are straight forward except  for the B2 and B31 that are short.

This week we used only articulated buses for the J , Q, and A shuttle. I know myself the other day I pulled out the new Nova articulated bus to do the J shuttle from Broadway "Williamsburg" to Manhattan Essex Street. We had 12 Articulated buses together riding down Utica avenue/Malcom X Blvd  deadheading to the starting point  Hewes Street and Broadway in Brooklyn. "Yes we were able to make that left turn from Malcolm X Blvd into Broadway."

Flatbush should be like Tuskegee depot where all the routes are artic. The B2 and B31 are the only standard and short routes they could handle. They should get the B47 back in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Great update @Flatbush SBS Duece  as always.

1 hour ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Will these buses push out the 2009 Orion VII NG Hybrids to other depots such as Fresh Pond and East New York?

This may be a strange question but, were the Proterra's (16-20), XDE-40 (9500-9509) and XE40 (11-15) at both MJQ and GA meant in-service to be used as part of the local fleet (meaning when in-service, a bus from the local fleet, lets say, Quill NG 4111 gets moved to another depot) or that each is there for demonstration in passenger service?

Edited by Calvin

25 minutes ago, Calvin said:

This may be a strange question but, were the Proterra's (16-20), XDE-40 (9500-9509) and XE40 (11-15) at both MJQ and GA meant in-service to be used as part of the local fleet (meaning when in-service, a bus from the local fleet, lets say, Quill NG 4111 gets moved to another depot) or that each is there for demonstration in passenger service?

In other words, you’re asking if the depots would be on a shortage without those buses or if they’re just extras? Because that’s a question I’ve been wondering.

Edited by Snorunts

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

FB has now 60 artics. So does this mean the B46 sbs will be going artic full time? 

I think it was mentioned somewhere that the line is going to be fully artic. Hence most of the JFK and LGA buses coming in. 

To the correction FB has exactly 60 artics. 
You will notice a small edit on your previous post. 

Edited by Future ENY OP

10 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I think it was mentioned somewhere that the line is going to be fully artic. Hence most of the JFK and LGA buses coming in. 

To the correction FB has exactly 60 artics. 
You will notice a small edit on your previous post. 

Okay, noted. 

9 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

Yessiree.

• 2 weeks later...

Just posting a small update on the (MTA) bus artic delivery for those that are keeping score! 

Buses Delivered: 6239-6269, 6271-6273, 6275-6279, 6284

JFK: 6240-6257

LGA: 6239, 6258-6263, 6265-6269, 6271-6273, 6275-6279, 6284

Buses not delivered as yet:  

6234-6238, 6264, 6270, 6274, 6280-6283, 6285-6286. 

XE60 Delivery buses for MQ: 4950-4952, 4954

Buses not delivered as yet: 4953, 4955-4964

Edited by Future ENY OP

“For over 20 years, New York City has housed its MTA bus lot, tax free, on our pristine waterfront without any benefit to our city and without any effort to work with us. For the great reasons the NYPD tow pound should be moved off Manhattan’s shoreline, so should the MTA bus garage be moved from the Yonkers shoreline. I am asking Gov. Cuomo to support our efforts in our discussions with New York City. It’s time to give Yonkers back its waterfront,” Spano said.

https://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/westchester/yonkers/2020/01/10/yonkers-mta-bus-garage-waterfront/4424568002/

I wonder if there are lots large enough and near enough to the Bronx/Yonkers border that can house this depot

3 minutes ago, 40MntVrn said:

https://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/westchester/yonkers/2020/01/10/yonkers-mta-bus-garage-waterfront/4424568002/

I wonder if there are lots large enough and near enough to the Bronx/Yonkers border that can house this depot

Keep dreaming. The Gov and the MTA go hand and hand. That Yonkers property is prolly going to stay. The MTA clearly doesn’t have intention to build new depots at this point, and if they do decide to build let’s give it the next 2 decades.