Hurricane Sandy: Before and After the Storm: Subway service

Harry

This is on teh website at 1:15 AM

MTA Service Advisory

Service Change Posted: 11/05/2012 12:37AM

Limited 1.png trains will operate between the Van Cortlandt Park-242 Street Station and the 14 Street Station in both directions.

Limited 2.png trains will operate between the Wakefield-241 Street Station and the Flatbush Avenue-Brooklyn College Station in both directions.

Limited 3.png trains will operate between the Harlem-148 Street Station and the New Lots Avenue Station in both directions

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that's odd, because I can clarify that the (3) is doing the usual 148-42 overnight trips tonight. Also, in the case of the (1), we used the regular Sunday supplement for that 242-14 service. We extended a couple of trains to Chambers (local stops the whole way) and then ran OUT OF SERVICE down to Rector and through the loop, and then back into service at Chambers going N/B, so there was some pen to paper modifications, but we basically did regular 8 minute headways tonight, which I'd hardly call LIMITED service, unless by limited they mean that we wouldn't be making all the usual stops.....

I'm curious as to their plan with Rockaway. Trucking trains to Rock Pk I never saw coming! Atleast that can help out the VERY overworked Q22. Now as far as shuttle bus service, any word on its northern terminal? There's been no wording Howard Bch service and I doubt they wanna have the volume I expect at Rockaway Blvd.

Now as far as the rest I've read, please people, remember a few things:

Coney Island was hit hard. Assume power problems and equipment damage. Don't ask "why isn't it running?" Ask "any word as to when?". And that's if you forget to read thru the last few pages.

G trains will probably be the last to be taken care of IMHO. It got flooded around Newton Creek and since it's not a Manhattan line (which are priority right now still), it won't be up soon.

I'm honestly shocked to hear that the old loop at South Ferry will be used. Even though it's not as deep as the new station, it IS closer to the sea wall. Finding out trains will loop thru there for Rector St service is pretty frakkin cool. Absolute Block, huh? That's gonna be fun. You train crew guys may have a long day if someone runs late. Like those times the A wrong railed thru The flats. One can't enter till the other clears. I hope you guys post about it. I would love to read about this operation.

G trains will probably be the last to be taken care of IMHO. It got flooded around Newton Creek and since it's not a Manhattan line (which are priority right now still), it won't be up soon.

The sad part is the MTA actually admitted to that and that the (G) has "naturally low ridership."

Good thing the feds are expected to fund at least part of the MTA's storm repair expenses, otherwise the B62 would need an extension to Kensington...

Yes, we actually had a baton! It's a shoe slipper with red & black stripes. Unfortunately for you, I only work the (1) on Sundays, so by the time I'm there again, we'll probably be going back to the new South Ferry Terminal :P

It shouldn't be news to anybody that the MTA don't give a crap about the (G). I think they'd rather leave it to rot than get it going and see customers actually using it, and then demand extra service or longer trains.

Service to/from Rector will be in effect 5am-9pm beginning tomorrow. Signals in the loop are still dark so we are doing an absolute block. DO NOT attempt to railfan the loop, we are ordered to remove any and all people at Rector. Service will get cut back to 14 overnight in order to do repairs.

I concur still it wont surprise me if some silly railfan will try this though...

(M) ikey service is normal..

(E) cho service is normal...

(R) omeo Service Two Sections..

71st to 34th in Manhattan..

Metro Tech to 95th Street in Crooklyn...

MUCHO props to the (MTA) all ALL of those who got this up and as close to normal as possible!!

I'm really impressed with how quickly Queens Blvd is back up and running! Great job MTA employees!

I am nervous about how much the life of the flooded equipment has been reduced. I'm imagining that there will be lots of signal problems in the near future as some of the flooded parts that were already near the end of their lives totally conk out.

Also, is the (L) not running because it suffered more flooding, or did all the CBTC equipment get completely fried with the water? I hope that is not the case.

For the record, the Sheepshead Bay area along with Brighton Beach and Manhattan Beach were hit very hard by this storm. I heard that many of the stores around the Sheepshead Bay Station including the Waldbaums and Stop & Shop were damaged by the water along with stores on Coney Island Avenue in the vicinity of Avenue Z. As of yesterday there was still many people without power in this area and it is almost a full week.

So for those who are asking when the Q will be restored beyond Kings Highway, I ask that you consider those that have been awaiting about a week for their power to be restored to have it back on before the service is restored. I know that the MTA personnel are doing a helluva job in restoring serivce but please give them some slack as they too are living without power in their home communities such as Sheepshead Bay and Brighton Beach.

I'm really impressed with how quickly Queens Blvd is back up and running! Great job MTA employees!

I am nervous about how much the life of the flooded equipment has been reduced. I'm imagining that there will be lots of signal problems in the near future as some of the flooded parts that were already near the end of their lives totally conk out.

Also, is the (L) not running because it suffered more flooding, or did all the CBTC equipment get completely fried with the water? I hope that is not the case.

The 14th Street tubes got flooded not sure about the CBTC equipment.

For the record, the Sheepshead Bay area along with Brighton Beach and Manhattan Beach were hit very hard by this storm. I heard that many of the stores around the Sheepshead Bay Station including the Waldbaums and Stop & Shop were damaged by the water along with stores on Coney Island Avenue in the vicinity of Avenue Z. As of yesterday there was still many people without power in this area and it is almost a full week.

So for those who are asking when the Q will be restored beyond Kings Highway, I ask that you consider those that have been awaiting about a week for their power to be restored to have it back on before the service is restored. I know that the MTA personnel are doing a helluva job in restoring serivce but please give them some slack as they too are living without power in their home communities such as Sheepshead Bay and Brighton Beach.

One of my best friends live in Sheepshead Bay and she hasn't had power since Sandy hit and she's riding the subway today for the first time in at least 10 years. It's really bad in that area and hopefully the (B) and (Q) service can hit the area soon

I just got back from a shopping trip to Avenue M and on my way backI observed from the Ocean Avenue bus that Avenue T was closed off at E. 21st Street as they were working on restoring power and the same at Avenue S at East 21st Street. While walking home from Ocean Avenue, I observed East 26th Street closed off between Avenue X and Avenue Y with a tree down acorss the entire street along with numerous yellow caution tapes on many streets from Bedford to Nostrand Avenues.

This morning I checked the ConEd website and saw numerous markers to indicate that there are a lot of homes and businesses south of Kings Highway without power and all three beach areas (Manhattan, Brighton and Coney Island still have a huge number of markers with bad weather expected on Wednesday into Thursday..

incidentally, I asked a bus driver on the B/49 about how bad it was south of Avenue X and her response "you don't want to know" which sums up the entire situation in this area.

So, is it really limited service or normal service that they are running?

I think it varies line by line. I can say based on observation the (M) and (R) were running with normal headways this morning. The (1) might have been a little less frequent than normal though, at about 10:30 seemed to be 6 or 7 minute headways, I think on a normal day at that time they'd be running every 5 min

I don't know the head ways for the (F), but after taking that this morning, it was pretty frequent. Didn't wait too long, definitely not 10 minutes.

But coming home, at Kings Highway, we were held there for about 10 minutes. I believe they needed a train operator to be set at the back of the train as well.

I have been hearing some rumors about some mixed up car assignments as a result of this mess... most notably several rumors about R32s running on the Q.

Are all lines running their normal rolling stock now, or are there still some lines that are using cars they usually don't use (Such as the R62s on the 4)?

I have been hearing some rumors about some mixed up car assignments as a result of this mess... most notably several rumors about R32s running on the Q.

Are all lines running their normal rolling stock now, or are there still some lines that are using cars they usually don't use (Such as the R62s on the 4)?

R32s are on the (C) and since the (3) was already restored, the R62s are prehaps back there. Remember, R32s are not maintain at Coney Island.

Waldbaums I can see but Stop & Shop too?? I spoke to an old friend of mine from the neighborhood and his parents are near the Stop & Shop and he said they weren't flooded because they're up around Ave X., so while I can see the Waldbaums getting flooded, I think having Stop & Shop be flooded is a bit of a stretch since that's on Ave Y. I found out from another of my old friends that my barbershop was ruined. She said it was completely ruined. I was shocked and immediately called my barber and he had to locate to another barbershop in Sheepshead Bay. Sucks royally too but at least it's still within walking distance to the BM3. It's just that I've been going to that barbershop for years since I was a teenager and knew just about everyone in the place or had them cut my hair over the years. Anywho, hopefully my tax guy is okay. Been using him for years down in Sheepshead Bay too...

Archived