Hurricane Sandy: Before and After the Storm: Subway service

Harry

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The (N) is running Astoria to 59th Street in Brooklyn. What I don't get is---why not just run the (N) to 95th Street and suspend (R) service? (Only one stop would be affected - Jay Street-MetroTech.)

As for the (G), I don't understand why it is not running.

Why cut off one station and overcrowd the N if they dont have to? It's a busy station and many are transferring there from/to the A,C,F.

There's word that a couple pairs of R32s are being trucked to the Rockaways for Rock Park - Far Rock Shuttle Service....

I wonder how long it will be until this service will start? From what I hear, buses in the Rockaways are Jam-Packed.

I read this on sub chat, it would make sense since the R32's are in pairs vs an R46 that is in ABBA order, they will send about 20 or 30 of em to there, i doubt an R32 is running on the (Q), wouldn't make any sense because its using the R160's and might use some R68A's as well

http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1183905

I read this on sub chat, it would make sense since the R32's are in pairs vs an R46 that is in ABBA order, they will send about 20 or 30 of em to there, i doubt an R32 is running on the (Q), wouldn't make any sense because its using the R160's and might use some R68A's as well

http://www.subchat.c....asp?Id=1183905

The plan to truck cars to the Rockaways was announced on the 4th I think, which means it was in planning a little while beforehand.... Hopefully the service begins sooner rather than later because it would make the trip from the Q35 to the rest of the area a lot faster.

The (G) not running is starting to piss me off... why must we get screwed? I know the line couldn't have gotten flooded. It's impossible...

the Newtown creek tube btwn 21 st and greenpoint got flooded, but of course the (MTA) is gonna take their time, but they should be pumping the tubes out now, the (L) is gonna take awhile since the CBTC equipment might have been damaged due to flooding

Like you told me... Patience... Patience!!

I understand that, but I feel this is just being done spitefully because they feel the (G) has lower ridership than other lines in the system.

the Newtown creek tube btwn 21 st and greenpoint got flooded, but of course the (MTA) is gonna take their time, but they should be pumping the tubes out now, the (L) is gonna take awhile since the CBTC equipment might have been damaged due to flooding

Well then why not run service Greenpoint-Church Avenue? Spite...

The (G) not running is a real drag - but I do unterstand the need to prioritize the Manhattan connecting tubes - last week we were talking about 3 hour lines for a shuttle bus so, yeah, probably for the best they restored them first.

Of course one could have suggested restoring the (G) first, and having everyone shuttle up from brooklyn onboard to transfer to a manhattan-bound train at Court Sq, which might seem like a great idea to anyone who has not tried to board a manhattan-bound train at court sqare at about 8:30am :D.

In any event, I made this gif of the progress so far which might be relevant to all your interests.

tumblr_md1er5JFAP1qzz0iho1_1280.gif

I believe it's to support the Jay Street station.

Damn I got friends going a bit wacked without they (N) running past 59th ST. Any news on the status of the Sea Beach? I've been told the water was pumped out very quickly.

And then they have to inspect/test equipment.

Also, is the (L) not running because it suffered more flooding, or did all the CBTC equipment get completely fried with the water? I hope that is not the case.

I wonder, because someone somewhere said something about then thinking it "impossible" to turn the trains at intermediate places. But that's not true, as there's both Lorimer (if the flooding doesn't reach there) and Myrtle if nothing else. (these are used frequently in G.O.s)

If that's the case, it seems like because the people closer in don't have the Manhattan connection, so nothing can be done for them; so just screw everyone else on the line. (Like those of us who need to get to Bway Jct for the other lines). So I hope it is CBTC problems, and if so, that's what they should say.

Also, if they're bringing cars to the Rockways (to run via the wye from Rock Park to Far Rock?) then it won't have any access to a full yard for servicing. (Rock Park is just layups). Unless they'll have to keep trucking them back and forth.

We're not closing down the subway for this storm. Just gonna be doing Plan IV.

Can't turn trains at Lorimer St, because the switch is north of the station, and the trains would not be able to clear it to change ends without going into the flood zone. You COULD turn trains at Myrtle Ave, but it would require a single pocket operation, so the TPH capacity would be cut. However, neither of these are possible if the CBTC on that line is still out of whack, which is what I've been hearing.

http://www.subchat.c....asp?Id=1183905

But there are still R46 AA pairs, unless the MTA intends to send those down for the SIRT? Either way, I guess if anything happens on the Rockaways, the MTA wouldn't care about what happens to the R32s as opposed to some R46s.

Archived