B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats what i said as well. i wasnt even calling for that info and when she herd what list i was calling about she said it will called in dec. I think they were to optermistic with dates establishing the list and dont want to do that again or there are still 800 eligable on the first list.

just got off the phone with someone from the employment center and they said they are not calling our list until dec.

I don't think she's correct and just making an assumption because they're still calling from a previous list. But be prepared before that regardless. You don't want to get caught with your pants down.

Jsalcedo i agree i think its just because they timeline they mad to establish the list was a mess they are just leaving themselves time. but im going to call agian on monday and try to see if someone else has more insight into this.

What? So then the list is going to be wasted for a good 11 months? Something is not right...

Let's see in two weeks when the February 2016 update comes out for the 2613 TA Exam what, if any movement occurred.

Perhaps they'll extend the 4600 exam. I too am slightly curious as to why they established this list and not simply publish the list prior to 2613's completion. For me this did come as a surprise as I need to save more $$, but nonetheless I am pleased that the list numbers are available to us.

just got off the phone with someone from the employment center and they said they are not calling our list until dec.

In my humble opinion she is dead wrong and was just blowing you off since the MTA does not and cannot predict, at this time, when they will begin calling from the list established for exam 4600. My educated guess, and I did say GUESS, is that sometime between April and May 2016 the MTA will begin to address the list for exam 4600. The MTA has a dedicated training staff. When I say dedicated what I'm saying is that the training department only does training, for the sake of this discussion, and that they (training staff) must keep the process moving. There will not be an extended lull in the process because that would back up the entire system. With retirees retiring, bus operators resigning, going out on disability, dieing, quitting, suspended, getting fired and the like. It wouldn't make any logical sense to postpone hiring from list 4600 until December 2016. Again this is only my opinion.

Hello, & congrats to everyone who made the list for exam# 4600. I recently posted on the 21st of January, asking if anyone had any information regarding whether a candidate could remove there list # from the list & reinstate it at a later date, & if so how long can they keep there # off the list. Any info would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Alright folks, I know we all are anxious to know when they'll start calling from the list, but lets be realistic here folks. If Exam 2613 list is still current active and not 100% complete, theres no way they will start calling off another exam set in. Keep in mind TA division is not that big compare to MaBSTOA. There are more OA position open compare to TA which would make since why the recent hiring is being used from list exam number 3101. Chances are 4600 can and again this is just an educated guess, can start the rolling in hiring late 2016 or early 2017. The old exam 2613 is still in progress finishing up. Just keep in mind that TA division is not as big compare to OA so chances are the hiring will be slower as time progress. A co-worker of mines is on list 2613 and he still havent receive a drug letter invitation yet. So that shows you that TA is on a slighly freeze due to lack of opening positions.

Welcome to the Family when you come aboard ,Please remember folks this is a life changing career ,Your weekends -Holidays...well party days will be on hold for a minute ok .

I'll be 1 to warn you all on this ,Drive slow ,Stay observant for everything around you and use EXTREME CAUTION.

Godspeed and good luck.

trust me we'll know when they call off the list. People who don't have a CDL this is the best time to do it. Especially those with low list numbers. 

This is the best advice right now for those of us on this list who don't have a CDL, but was planning to get one before getting the call from the MTA.  I passed my cdl road test in South Hicksville last week.  If you haven't heard yet, NY is planning to change their road test sites and are making it harder.  There's a site upstate which has already modified their road test site with the new rules.  Got this from a member on City Data Sanitation forum:

October 7, 2015 

To: Driving School Owners and Instructors, Article 19-A Motor Carriers and Certified Examiners 

Subject: Changes Regarding NYS Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Road Testing 

To comply with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), New York State has begun the process of modifying current CDL road testing sites and procedures to achieve consistency with the AAMVA test model criteria as referenced in the final CDL Permit Rule. 

The New York State Commercial Driver’s Manual (CDL-10 and CDL-10S) covers all of the elements to successfully complete the modified skills test. Careful studying of the manual will lead to the most successful outcomes on the written and skills tests. These manuals can be found online, as well as in any DMV Office, or by calling the NYS DMV Call Center at 518-486-9786. 

The following are the NYS CDL skills testing modifications: 

 

Tests will be given in three sections in the following order: pre-trip inspection, basic control skills maneuvers, and then the on-road portion;  

The test is scored in the three separate sections listed above, with three scores making up a complete test;  

If a driver fails any one section, the test is stopped and the driver is failed;  

The duration of skills testing appointments has been increased. Depending on a driver, a test may take anywhere from an hour to an hour and 45 minutes to complete.  

Engine compartment inspection is a required part of the pre-trip inspection;  

For school buses, inspection of the stop arm and safety arm is required;  

For school buses, a simulated student discharge is required; and  

A simulated Railroad Crossing is required; 

The first CDL road testing site to be performing the modified testing is the Cobleskill CDL site located at the Sunshine Fairgrounds, Sunshine Pkwy at Sunshine Drive, Cobleskill, NY 12043. The information referenced above is now provided to applicants with their confirmation information. 

As additional sites are being modified this information will be provided with the applicant’s confirmation information. We anticipate gradually adding new sites after the first quarter of 2016. 

We will continue to provide updates to our industry partners as they become available. 

Please share this information with the appropriate members of your staff. Thank you

Edited by Ctrain24

This was my question earlier somewhat, how many people are called annually. The response I got was at about 1800 per year i believe. And as Deuces said (don't know how to multiquote yet) TA has less spots available so at that rate with less spots available, they might only do half or slightly more than that this year. Maybe 1200 called for 2016 of which 800 is from the old list 2613. At best, 4600 starts in fall (3/4 of the year = 3/4 of 1200 avg - 900 called by like Sept.) I could see anywhere between Sept to Dec they begin 4600 given their being less spots available. And even so, again less positions available, they might not even reach far into the list.

Hello all. I have been reading this message board for quite some time and the members on here have been very insightful and I really like the way you all help each other out. I decided to register and make a name so I can join in on the convo lol. I took exam 4600 and am list number 2xx. Good list number, hopefully I get called soon. I do have a question. I have 3 points on my drivers license and have read in previous posts that you can be appointed for the position with 4 points or less. Is this true and are we 100% positive that we can get in with 4 points or less. If anyone knows for sure please let me know. Thanks and it's an honor to finally have a name to be able to join in the convo with the rest of you.

Hello. I have number 134 on the list. I don't have my CDL permit but was thinking about trying to get it at some point.Based on what I have read on here I'm assuming I have to have it before I get called? Is there a study guide that any of you have used for the test?

Hello. I have number 134 on the list. I don't have my CDL permit but was thinking about trying to get it at some point.Based on what I have read on here I'm assuming I have to have it before I get called? Is there a study guide that any of you have used for the test?

Yes u have to have it by time you get called & They have free study booklets at the DMV.