R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

^He's right I saw it the yard a couple of days ago from 207th St-215 St stations.

The only half cab remaining on the (7) is 2081 and I rode the set today on the ride home.

Speaking of which, which are the mitch matched pairs?

There are no R62A mismatch pairs. They're either in 5 car consecutive sets, or singles.

It's the R62 with the only mismatch set: 1431-32-33-34-38

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are no R62A mismatch pairs. They're either in 5 car consecutive sets, or singles.

It's the R62 with the only mismatch set: 1431-32-33-34-38

Are those 194x cars linked up? That would be a mismatch if they've put them together (1947 or such), but they may still be singles just lined up together.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

R188 7501-05/7506-10 is out serving on the (7), still with those LED lights. Are those going to be expanded to the rest of the fleets?

I don't Know what's worse, the LED local/Express lights or the really noticeable bright second car in the R142A Convert set; and the lighting when the R188 (6-car) is paired with the (5-car) R142A...

I don't Know what's worse, the LED local/Express lights or the really noticeable bright second car in the R142A Convert set; and the lighting when the R188 (6-car) is paired with the (5-car) R142A...

The bright car by far. It makes the entire train look extremely tacky.

It really bothers me how you have that one bright ass car, cause then the lighting on the other 5 or 10 cars is really noticeable.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

It really bothers me how you have that one bright ass car, cause then the lighting on the other 5 or 10 cars is really noticeable.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

It's worse when you have a converted set with its one bright car, and the other half is all new sets lol

It's a shame since it's such an easy fix. All they need to do is replace the soft-white bulbs with the newer blue-white ones and clean the light cases. And it's not even like this would be an expensive move since they'd likely get a discount for buying in bulk.

It's a shame since it's such an easy fix. All they need to do is replace the soft-white bulbs with the newer blue-white ones and clean the light cases. And it's not even like this would be an expensive move since they'd likely get a discount for buying in bulk.

"If it still works..."

And I get the feeling they probably have a large stock of fluorescent lamps as well.

But if they could switch the entire fleet (and all the stations) over to LED tube lamps, considering how much more energy efficient LEDs are over fluorescents, they'll realize a huge cost savings eventually, even if the purchasing cost is higher.

I feel like they will eventually. I'd say give Corona some time, overall they take care of their fleet better than most of the other IRT depos. Frankly off the R142A's in the (7) are cleaner than those on the (6), and they damage they'd sustained from running on the (6). These cars for the most part are still new to them, I'd say after the R62A's are gone these trains will likely get better through daily maintenance. Or for the very least they won't end up any worse than when they were on the (6)