Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has that R32 set ran on the (M) before? I remember during when C.I had one set of R32s, I heard that set ran on the (Q).

Not to my knowledge, no. The M gets first dibs on East New York's 160s, so unless something extrordinary occurs, you won't see that lone 32 on the M.

Thats actually 3714 as the lead car. 3710 has been scrapped a long time ago. The (J) only has 3714 3715 3699 3698 3427 3426 3933 3932 and 3770 3771 3778 3779 as spares

Come to think of it, it wasn't 3710. Now that you mention it, it was 3770.

On the topic of spares, how does the spare system in New York work, anyway? From what I've seen so far, each individual fleet operating on a line has its own set of spares, of the same type of vehicle. If that's true, it seems highly illogical. Let's use the (J) as an example. Why have a set of R32 spares that can take over if an R32 breaks down, when they can just have an R188 plug into the run in question instead? I really don't understand the logic.

On the topic of spares, how does the spare system in New York work, anyway? From what I've seen so far, each individual fleet operating on a line has its own set of spares, of the same type of vehicle. If that's true, it seems highly illogical. Let's use the (J) as an example. Why have a set of R32 spares that can take over if an R32 breaks down, when they can just have an R188 plug into the run in question instead? I really don't understand the logic.

R188's on the (J) ? Physically impossible.

And they just use what they have as spares?

R188's on the (J) ? Physically impossible.

And they just use what they have as spares?

Typo :P

But then, if they use what they have as spares, what's the point of having extra R32s at ENY all? Why will the one train not cut it, and if it breaks down, use R160s until it can be fixed again?

But then, if they use what they have as spares, what's the point of having extra R32s at ENY all? Why will the one train not cut it, and if it breaks down, use R160s until it can be fixed again?

I think the reason it's complicated at ENY is that the R32s are in married pairs whereas the R160s are in four-car sets. Let's say one R32 pair needs to be taken OOS. That can be replaced by a spare, and the loss is 2 cars from the pool of R32s. But if the whole train were to be replaced by an R160 set, that would be a loss of 8 cars from potential service, or a net loss of six cars compared to the R32 pair replacing the other R32s. If an R160 were to go out of service, the picture would be different as that would require the set of four cars OOS, and replacements wouldn't have as large of a net loss.

Edited by MHV9218

There aren't enough 4 car sets of R160s. The (J)(L)(M)(Z) can only run 8 car trains of R32s, R42s, R143s, and R160s. The (L) gets first crack, as it must have ATO-equipped trains. Then comes the (M) because it goes to Midtown and Queens Boulevard, then the (J)(Z). The (C) runs 8-car sets of R32s because there currently aren't enough cars to go around and ridership doesn't warrant longer trains. Each line will run one or two types of rolling stock and there's no reason to change it, as dead moves cost money and riders associate car types with lines. If an R62 pulls into a 7th Avenue station on the express track, everybody knows it's a (3) .

I heard a shitload of complaints from Jamaica riders, and I was on the line just about every other day in the summer. It's all anecdotal. On the whole, it's safe to say that nobody likes the old fleet.

Lol well when you think about it who really likes old stuff anyway especially when your used to the new stuff

A problem disscussed in the past with the R32s running on the (M) besides the fact that they wouldn't want them to run underground for a large portion is the fact that Metropolitan Av is not on the South Rollsign and they're not spending tons of money for this.

A problem disscussed in the past with the R32s running on the (M) besides the fact that they wouldn't want them to run underground for a large portion is the fact that Metropolitan Av is not on the South Rollsign and they're not spending tons of money for this.

The lack of the appropriate south rollsign is a non-issue and would little to do with them not running on the M. They could sign the trains to Myrtle Av (close enough) or print out a couple dozen B/W posters that indicate the M's terminals and that would solve that problem easy-peezy lemon-squeezy.

why not just have R42s run on the (M) ? If that's the case since they did run on the (M) for a very long time..

Edited by R62AR33

Just a question: what is the peak vehicle requirement for the (J)(Z) trains? (Essentially, how many trainsets are needed for the peak hours?) maybe it would be possible to relocate some trains to the (A) and Rockaway (S).

20 trains per the car assignments ( http://www.thejoekorner.com/carassignments/index.html ). Only 14 are currently R160s. 5 R42s and 1 R32 make up the difference. They're not going to the Rockaways because the (S) uses OPTO (impossible with R32s) and the (A) would face some of the same issues as the (C).

This will probably be shot down quickly but what about sending some R32s to CI for the (N) and (Q) trains? They both have significant outside-running, including at both ends (except for (Q) on weekends). This could be possible since Bway is not exactly a busy corridor. The only problem I can think of is the changing of rollsigns at the terminus stations.

They can't run R42's on the (M) because of the C/R boards, the R42 C/R controls are in the number 2 cab only

The Rockaway shuttle is not OPTO in the summer months (except late nights) from memorial day to labor day and the shuttle is full length as well

This will probably be shot down quickly but what about sending some R32s to CI for the (N) and (Q) trains? They both have significant outside-running, including at both ends (except for (Q) on weekends). This could be possible since Bway is not exactly a busy corridor. The only problem I can think of is the changing of rollsigns at the terminus stations.

That won't happen, CI would throw em on the (B) if anything

They can't run R42's on the (M) because of the C/R boards, the R42 C/R controls are in the number 2 cab only

Yep. That's also the entire reason why the R32s were brought back to the shorten (A) long before the R40s and many of the R42s were retired from service. The R42s are not going to run on the (M) ever again because its peak commuters (between 71st Avenue and Broadway-Lafayette) would be pissed if they have to run 120 feet from the rear and get on their train. Such was always the case when the R40s and R42s ran on the shorten (A) for short period in late '08.

The Rockaway shuttle is not OPTO in the summer months (except late nights) from memorial day to labor day and the shuttle is full length as well

But don't more people in the Rockaways work Monday through Friday than Saturday and Sunday?

I think the reason it's complicated at ENY is that the R32s are in married pairs whereas the R160s are in four-car sets. Let's say one R32 pair needs to be taken OOS. That can be replaced by a spare, and the loss is 2 cars from the pool of R32s. But if the whole train were to be replaced by an R160 set, that would be a loss of 8 cars from potential service, or a net loss of six cars compared to the R32 pair replacing the other R32s. If an R160 were to go out of service, the picture would be different as that would require the set of four cars OOS, and replacements wouldn't have as large of a net loss.

Good point, I didn't really think of that, that makes sense.

Lol well when you think about it who really likes old stuff anyway especially when your used to the new stuff

Those that do... right??? ;)

You're all forgetting the #1 reason why the (M) won't run R32 or 42's. That is an OPTO line part time (even when it gets extended to Essex in June, it will still be 4 car OPTO). The 32's and 42's can not run in OPTO mode (how is the T/O gonna open up on the left side?). So it's 143 or 160's only. Sorry.