September 2014 Bus Route and Schedule Changes

BM5 via Woodhaven

This is true... Most of the island can be reached in 15-20 minutes with the right driver who knows the short cuts... That's something most folks don't know.... As you said the traffic is key...

That's because most people look at a map and automatically assume it's a long trip lol.

They couldn't make the M12 another color, like a dark blue or something? There's enough hues in that area of the map that are similar to red, that it's sort of an eyesore to look at.

At least it wasn't green though.

- The Bx18 change is subtle, hence why it's not being talked about....

Since it unofficially "loops" (to/from 170th (D)) throughout the day, the rest of the trips won't really matter (as far as the "terminal change" is concerned)... However, the first trip of the day no longer starts in the middle of nothingness at sedgwick/undercliff - Instead, the first trip of the day will start on the undercliff side of the route at W. 176th (meaning, riders on the undercliff side won't have to make their way to the sedgwick side of the route, or trek down to tremont/undercliff for the bus toward university av, the (4), or the (D)).... So it'll start at undercliff/176th, then shoot up the rest of undercliff (picking up more pax) before hitting sedgwick, then make the turn onto sedgwick, en route to the concourse.....

props to the MTA on this one.

- M12.... Outside of what I've already said about the thing in prior posts... Looking at the bright side I guess, At least it'll do something the M11 doesn't do in the village - That is, connect to the subway (8th av line + the (L))....

- Gateway II... I don't care all too much about the B13 & Q8 extension & B83 diversion - I just want to see what this new terminal will look like....

Also to add, the more I think about it, the more I agree that the B84 shouldn't run that far west to gateway II (meaning, the current routing should be retained).... But I (still) do think the 84 should run up to linden plaza apts. after serving spring creek & gateway.....

- Bx24 to HMC makes sense on paper....

I'd be worried though if the extension would be worth it, since that complex already has its own (free) shuttle; which IINM is more frequent than the Bx24.....

I'll briefly comment on some of these other changes later....

The bus terminal at Gateway North is similar to KP terminal. Two bus lanes separated from other traffic. Bus enters, drop off/pick up passenger and exit. There is a traffic light exiting the terminal. Im thinking that the B13/Q8 will share a lane and the B83 will have a lane to itself. It's right next to Gateway Drive "outside" the mall...

The Mectro Center shuttle is going away.

Do you know why?

-------------

Anyway, to comment on some of these other changes:

- x21... I've said enough about it in the x21 thread...

- These span changes (which is all it is, with the changing of the last bus/first bus departures) listed, I can't say too much about..... Are these being done to reflect any rider demands, or what.....

As far as the S93 change in particular (which is huge), I think a LTD over the S53 route is what's warranted over an increase in service over the 93..... I personally think this is the MTA being stubborn.... More of what's available isn't necessarily what more riders want (re-read this statement again if you have to), and this is a perfect of example of that IMO..... I have a feeling this is gonna result in more lightly used buses throughout the day, instead of better utilization of those extra buses/trips over the 53 route & speeding up the north shore riders' trips in/out of Bay Ridge....

- Q50 stop @ Dreiser..... What took the MTA so long to implement this?

It should have never been a non-stop in the first place... Expect more ridership out of PBP to co-op on the 50 due to the addition of that 1 stop alone......

I took M12 bus today. First stop on West Village-bound M12 is 57th St/Broadway (Not 7th Av/58th St) and last stop is 8th Av/Jane St.

First stop on Midtown-bound M12 was 8th Av/12th St and last stop 8th Av/57th St.

After that, I did Whole Food errand and went to Hillside Av/169th St to give n24 bus operator set of schedules. and took Q43 bus to Parsons Blvd to help on Q113 Local Bus about 19:00 and lots of Q113 Local passengers weren't beware Q113 Local Bus replaced by Q114 LTD.

Then I hike up to Archer Av bus stop and lots of Q113 Far Rockaway passengers were not aware Q114 bus were Rockaway bus through 5 Towns.

Archer Av, they waited for 5 buses, like 2-3 hours not knowing the change.

All day S93 Limited? Sweet....no more 53.

It's true, it's true! The S93 has become the 1st Staten Island Limited-Stop Bus Route in history to run all weekday long. As for the MTA, I hope that they continue with the service changes like this one for other Staten Island Limited-Stop Bus lines to have like the S81, S84, S86, S89, S90, S91, S92, S94, S96 and S98, and soon to be added into service, the S78's own Limited-Stop Line, the S88.

It's true, it's true! The S93 has become the 1st Staten Island Limited-Stop Bus Route in history to run all weekday long. As for the MTA, I hope that they continue with the service changes like this one for other Staten Island Limited-Stop Bus lines to have like the S81, S84, S86, S89, S90, S91, S92, S94, S96 and S98, and soon to be added into service, the S78's own Limited-Stop Line, the S88.

lol... Don't bank on it... The S93 is a special case and mainly due to CSI...

The bus terminal at Gateway North is similar to KP terminal. Two bus lanes separated from other traffic. Bus enters, drop off/pick up passenger and exit. There is a traffic light exiting the terminal. Im thinking that the B13/Q8 will share a lane and the B83 will have a lane to itself. It's right next to Gateway Drive "outside" the mall...

I like the notion of the extension but what annoys me is that there's no intermediate stop. On BusTime and in the board materials, it shows that there's a bus stop at Site Drive (the second entrance passed on the way from Erskine Street). There's no hint of a bus stop anywhere, other than the one put up for the B83 coming off the Belt.

I took M12 bus today. First stop on West Village-bound M12 is 57th St/Broadway (Not 7th Av/58th St) and last stop is 8th Av/Jane St.

First stop on Midtown-bound M12 was 8th Av/12th St and last stop 8th Av/57th St.

After that, I did Whole Food errand and went to Hillside Av/169th St to give n24 bus operator set of schedules. and took Q43 bus to Parsons Blvd to help on Q113 Local Bus about 19:00 and lots of Q113 Local passengers weren't beware Q113 Local Bus replaced by Q114 LTD.

Then I hike up to Archer Av bus stop and lots of Q113 Far Rockaway passengers were not aware Q114 bus were Rockaway bus through 5 Towns.

Archer Av, they waited for 5 buses, like 2-3 hours not knowing the change.

Oh, wow; I did the whole M12 round trip yesterday, starting at Abingdon Sq. and then went to Whole Foods once I got to Columbus Circle (Going up, the guy was OK, but I missed him going back down, and the next guy was really slow, saying some dispatchers were out watching them. I can never figure why buses are scheduled always assuming slower travel than actually occurs. It;s a new route, and on the far west side, and on a Sunday evening!)

Interesting stretch of the city I don't get to often.

Queens and every service guide minus The Bronx are updated! :D

But the Jamaica inset isn't completely updated, if you look closely, lol...

Also, this is interesting:

The primary QM10 service operates via 34 St, 6 Ave, and 57 St every day.

So where's the saturday and sunday QM10? I could get used to that.

Archived