ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, mj9420 said:

I didn’t get any call yet. My list #146*. Should I call them to check?

I only just received my PE letter today, list number 13xx so seems we are all at the mercy of the post office. If it doesn't arrive by end of day Tuesday I would call. 

List #8**. Doing premloyment on 11/13. Does anyone have an idea what class I'd be considered for? Sorry to come across as over-eager, but I just want an idea of how to plan my schedule these next few months haha. 

Also congrats to all who have gotten calls back! Hope you're all as excited as I am. 

Edited by Hotgrunt2393

Hi all! Just signed up to post but before I get to my probably over-long post, I just wanted to say thank you, sincerely, to all that post on here. It's helped me prepare and plan in ways I can't even say and I appreciate everyone keeping the lookout and helping each other. It's awesome to see.

I'm #18xx on the T/O list and I have probably a unique situation. I'm actually living on the opposite side of the country in Oregon and have been flying in for MTA tests and the like. I've been stuck out here for six years now since my wife passed from cancer and I had to move out here with my then 3 year old son where I had family to help with him, and then I've been stuck in a job that pays well enough to keep my school loans at bay and rent and not much else, and I've been holding on to hope that an MTA position was my ticket to getting back to living where I love now that my son's older.

And holy s@@@ am I surprised at how fast this has come. I haven't gotten a letter yet, but it sounds like it could be on the way since it takes a couple extra days to get to me out here. I was expecting at least another six months to a year before I'd have to start planning, and it kills me to know that I'm just not ready yet. I need to save more money for how I have to tackle this from across the country, and I need to get my health better before I go in for it. Currently my blood pressure is on the high range of stage 1 hypertension and my BMI is 40 or so when it looks like from reading here it needs to be below 35, so I still have work to do. 

I guess what I'm posting here for is some kind of advice or reassurance about deferring for 3 or 4 months if I can. I absolutely couldn't live with myself if I let this opportunity go, it's literally my last hope at being able to function in life, but I also think if I try to rush it right now it might fall apart or I won't pass the medical and then I'm screwed for sure. If I understand right, I can tell the DCAS to defer my name for now, and then call them up to reinstate me when I'm ready and then hopefully they'll bring me in with the next round after that? I hope that's how it works, but it seems waaaaaay too easy to defer it like that, and nothing in my life has been that easy so it makes me anxious about the whole thing. I feel like I'm walking on eggshells or about to drop a grenade or something. lol If anyone has advice or know that all that should be okay, I would be so grateful.

But regardless, it's so cool to see it moving so fast and so many here are getting such a good break in life. Feels good seeing that, and gives me hope when I'm pretty much depleted of it. It's hurt so much being away from NYC and I'm ready to come back so badly, and my son's super excited about moving back too. I can't wait, which is why it's going to suck so bad to push it back for another four months or whatever and eat more crap at my current job, but if it works out in the long run so be it. Anyway, sorry for probably rambling and congratulations to those that have made it so far!

36 minutes ago, Hotgrunt2393 said:

List #8**. Doing premloyment on 11/13. Does anyone have an idea what class I'd be considered for? Sorry to come across as over-eager, but I just want an idea of how to plan my schedule these next few months haha. 

Also congrats to all who have gotten calls back! Hope you're all as excited as I am. 

I'm number 90* and I have a feeling we might be considered for either the December or January class. I'm expecting January honestly but December is not impossible. 

36 minutes ago, Hotgrunt2393 said:

Don't quote me but at this rate probably in the next 2-3 classes, December-February depending on how they schedule them. You got a decent number

10 minutes ago, dee-bees said:

Hi all! Just signed up to post but before I get to my probably over-long post, I just wanted to say thank you, sincerely, to all that post on here. It's helped me prepare and plan in ways I can't even say and I appreciate everyone keeping the lookout and helping each other. It's awesome to see.

I'm #18xx on the T/O list and I have probably a unique situation. I'm actually living on the opposite side of the country in Oregon and have been flying in for MTA tests and the like. I've been stuck out here for six years now since my wife passed from cancer and I had to move out here with my then 3 year old son where I had family to help with him, and then I've been stuck in a job that pays well enough to keep my school loans at bay and rent and not much else, and I've been holding on to hope that an MTA position was my ticket to getting back to living where I love now that my son's older.

And holy s@@@ am I surprised at how fast this has come. I haven't gotten a letter yet, but it sounds like it could be on the way since it takes a couple extra days to get to me out here. I was expecting at least another six months to a year before I'd have to start planning, and it kills me to know that I'm just not ready yet. I need to save more money for how I have to tackle this from across the country, and I need to get my health better before I go in for it. Currently my blood pressure is on the high range of stage 1 hypertension and my BMI is 40 or so when it looks like from reading here it needs to be below 35, so I still have work to do. 

I guess what I'm posting here for is some kind of advice or reassurance about deferring for 3 or 4 months if I can. I absolutely couldn't live with myself if I let this opportunity go, it's literally my last hope at being able to function in life, but I also think if I try to rush it right now it might fall apart or I won't pass the medical and then I'm screwed for sure. If I understand right, I can tell the DCAS to defer my name for now, and then call them up to reinstate me when I'm ready and then hopefully they'll bring me in with the next round after that? I hope that's how it works, but it seems waaaaaay too easy to defer it like that, and nothing in my life has been that easy so it makes me anxious about the whole thing. I feel like I'm walking on eggshells or about to drop a grenade or something. lol If anyone has advice or know that all that should be okay, I would be so grateful.

But regardless, it's so cool to see it moving so fast and so many here are getting such a good break in life. Feels good seeing that, and gives me hope when I'm pretty much depleted of it. It's hurt so much being away from NYC and I'm ready to come back so badly, and my son's super excited about moving back too. I can't wait, which is why it's going to suck so bad to push it back for another four months or whatever and eat more crap at my current job, but if it works out in the long run so be it. Anyway, sorry for probably rambling and congratulations to those that have made it so far!

Hey man sorry about your wife. Tough hand to deal with. 

I know that u can defer the position, but I'm not sure for how long. I'm in the same boat with the bmi over 35 but my blood pressure is ok. I would say defer and work on your health and save some money up for the move back to NY. Rent is mighty expensive out here right now so I imagine you would need a nice amount of cash put away. So take the time to lose some weight, eat healthy, and get yourself mentally and financially prepared. 

I wish you all the best man. As a dad of a 3 year old daughter, I can only imagine how tough that has been for you so I really mean that. 

16 minutes ago, dee-bees said:

It actually is thtat easy. Call them up and tell them you would like to defer until further notice, no need to give them an exact time frame. And when your ready call them back and have your name reinstated. It could take a little bit to do so but a few weeks tops.Just have to reinstate and go through the process before the list expires. If the list has passed your number you will be called right in to do pre employment and medical for the next class. If you are flying from that far I would say deferring is your best bet. And then keep tabs on this forum and watch to see when your number is passed. When it is I would call them for the next class so this way pre employment and medical will be close together and you might be able to do both within a week possible saving you another round trip.

Edited by LIRRMedford

27 minutes ago, acabral136 said:

Hey man sorry about your wife. Tough hand to deal with. 

I know that u can defer the position, but I'm not sure for how long. I'm in the same boat with the bmi over 35 but my blood pressure is ok. I would say defer and work on your health and save some money up for the move back to NY. Rent is mighty expensive out here right now so I imagine you would need a nice amount of cash put away. So take the time to lose some weight, eat healthy, and get yourself mentally and financially prepared. 

I wish you all the best man. As a dad of a 3 year old daughter, I can only imagine how tough that has been for you so I really mean that. 

Thank you, man. I appreciate it. That's probably what I have to do. I'd rather spend more time now to make sure I don't lose it forever. I'm just impatient when it comes to getting life on track. lol

25 minutes ago, LIRRMedford said:

It actually is thtat easy. Call them up and tell them you would like to defer until further notice, no need to give them an exact time frame. And when your ready call them back and have your name reinstated. It could take a little bit to do so but a few weeks tops.Just have to reinstate and go through the process before the list expires. If the list has passed your number you will be called right in to do pre employment and medical for the next class. If you are flying from that far I would say deferring is your best bet. And then keep tabs on this forum and watch to see when your number is passed. When it is I would call them for the next class so this way pre employment and medical will be close together and you might be able to do both within a week possible saving you another round trip.

Thank you, man. That helps a lot. That's one thing I was worried about is going for the PE and drug test, then getting back only to immediately get the notice for the medical and have to come right back. Getting it in one shot would be hugely helpful, and if it's not til after the new year I'll have vacation time with the job here again I could use to help with it. That'd be great if it works out that way. Thank you!

My letter came yesterday didn't check the mail til today and have a pre em date for November 30. Just a little nervous, I been working for the city for 13yrs and trying to figure if I want to start over. The pay is pushing me to go for it just want to make the right decision.

I wonder if everyone who recently got a pe letter will have to do pe like the rest of the folks that went 2-3x's before the list was established. I know medical has a timeframe but I really don't wanna have to go to pe multiple times. I've seen that around 1800's have a pe letter but they haven't even hired any 800's.  Any input?

43 minutes ago, 2nice said:

I wonder if everyone who recently got a pe letter will have to do pe like the rest of the folks that went 2-3x's before the list was established. I know medical has a timeframe but I really don't wanna have to go to pe multiple times. I've seen that around 1800's have a pe letter but they haven't even hired any 800's.  Any input?

Yeah you don't really control that, just have to be patient and wait for the email or letter for whatever the next step is! A lot of different factors come into play, so you never know why they call ppl back for 2/3 P/Es. I know you're anxious for it to begin, we all were, but as others stated and I learned, this job is not a rush position, so practicing patience starts now lol. 

1 hour ago, 2nice said:

IMO, we will all have to do multiple pre employments. Just because we (1100 + list number) are getting called for pre employement right now means nothing honestly. I feel they are just canvassing a bunch of people to get people ready and have a handleful of people to pull from in the future. It’s common sense. What list number are they up to that are in classes ?400 tops ? So don’t just think this will just happen soon. They just want to have people ready with paper work and drug test, so when it’s time to pull people, they can do so fast without much delay. I’m 18xx and have pre employment in December and I don’t honestly see them getting ready to put me in a class no earlier than May-July. Just my honest opinion. 

I understand everyone here is very anxious and wants to start the job like  yesterday, but we have to remain pantient and remeber that the MTA really sucks when it comes to the whole hiring process for jobs. 

I for one am sick and tired of my current job (USPS) and have been here for 6 years and want out immediately lol. I am just continuing to bank my time in preparation to burn all of it as soon as the MTA calls me up lol. 

Hey everyone, I received my p/e letter and I wanted to know how the medical goes. I have epilepsy but my condition is well under control with my medicine. I operate heavy machinery every day and State approved to operate motor vehicles. I know the T/A is very strict about this. Would it be a waste of time to even go for the P/E ?

1 hour ago, rondread445 said:

Hey everyone, I received my p/e letter and I wanted to know how the medical goes. I have epilepsy but my condition is well under control with my medicine. I operate heavy machinery every day and State approved to operate motor vehicles. I know the T/A is very strict about this. Would it be a waste of time to even go for the P/E ?

Well if you can get your PCP to write a letter stating all those facts...then I'd say you have a good shot at passing the medical. The part about being state approved to operate a motor vehicle will work in your favor if you can gather the relevant paperwork to back yourself up. So my advice to you, go for pre-employment and do that urine test.

9 hours ago, nipaaaa said:

Well if you can get your PCP to write a letter stating all those facts...then I'd say you have a good shot at passing the medical. The part about being state approved to operate a motor vehicle will work in your favor if you can gather the relevant paperwork to back yourself up. So my advice to you, go for pre-employment and do that urine test.

Thank you so much for the glimmer of hope, it was just really frustrating just thinking about it. My friends in other departments of the MTA say the same but I'm just nervous that they'd send me home. Thanks again and I pray all goes well for everyone.

List 1,65X and got the letter a couple of days ago for pre-employment for Nov. 29th. I'm weighing my options but am probably gonna try to defer my list number for a year or so, so I can finish my Bachelor's degree. Don't know if it's a dumb decision yet, but we'll see.

Good luck to everyone continuing with pre-employment and beyond!

Boy am i happy. Got the 1st letter to start the employment process. My appt is nov 28th and my list # is 155*

I know i have a long process to deal with as far as the medical and psychical part before even being considered for classes but im patient. Especially since i wasnt expecting to even get a letter till feb/march. This is life changing so im all for it. 

26 minutes ago, TD123 said:

Did my p/e nov 5th. List 44*. Still haven’t received a letter for the medical. I feel I am so close. I hope I make it to the nov 26 class. Does anyone know if and when there will be other classes after the nov 26th class? 

Please post when you get your medical letter, it should be this week. 

I took my 3rd PE Nov 7th so I should be right behind you. 

I’ve heard their is also a December 14th class, but this Nov 26th class is barely half full at this point as per somebody that works at 180. 

Lets keep hope for this month bro

39 minutes ago, TD123 said:

Did my p/e nov 5th. List 44*. Still haven’t received a letter for the medical. I feel I am so close. I hope I make it to the nov 26 class. Does anyone know if and when there will be other classes after the nov 26th class? 

I’m in the same 10 digits as you dude and was there the same day so don’t feel bad. I think we’re gonna make the cut for November, don’t worry. If not yes, like someone above me said there’s a class for December already scheduled for 12/17 I heard so we should be in there within 4 weeks one way or another.