Fix & Fortify - 14th Street (L Train) Tunnels Closure

Lance

15 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Keeping Buses Moving on 14 St and the Lower East Side

Updated 6/11/19

If you ride a M14 bus, you’ve likely experienced a longer than expected wait at your stop, a longer than expected trip once you’re on your bus, buses that arrive in bunches and off-schedule, or some combination of the three. During the busiest travel times, M14 A/D buses spend about 60% of their trips stopped at bus stops or in traffic.

On July 1, 2019, in coordination with New York City Department of Transportation, we will launch our plan to fix these issues and keep buses moving. We are bringing Select Bus Service to the M14 A/D.

A map depicting the final planned routing for M14 select bus service.

M14%20SBS%20Final_May%202019_Abingdon_re

Select Bus Service (SBS) is a package of improvements designed to target and correct the circumstances that slow down buses and make service unreliable. Citywide, customers are more satisfied with their SBS bus than their local or limited (LTD) bus.

On July 1, we will introduce to the M14 A/D:

Better bus stop spacing
Off-board fare payment (you may have noticed new machines at your stop)
All-door boarding
Street improvements
M14 SBS Proposal vs M14 SBS Final Plan

Developing SBS for the M14 A/D involved a substantial amount of data collection, analysis, and feedback from the communities served by the routes. We shared our original proposal with communities and elected officials earlier this year to get your feedback.

The final plan incorporates some of that feedback into the service we will provide starting July 1. Some of the stops originally recommended for removal along the A and D branches to help improve reliability and decrease travel time have been restored. We’re also testing out the feasibility of maintaining stops that serve Abingdon Square over the next nine months.

Two maps comparing the original proposed routing for M14 select bus service with the final plan.

Download the route comparisons as a PDF

M14%20SBS%20Final_May%202019_Abingdon%20

At least I don't have to walk an extra block to get to a stop on the M14D

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Calvin said:

How in the world did a trash can wind up where it did (apparently, that was the cause of this)?  

• 2 weeks later...

L Service Changes

Updated 7/8/2019

As we continue making progress with the L Project, some work will require us to temporarily make changes to L service. Use this page to get the latest on what's happening, when and why.

Weeknights

Tues., July 16 to Fri., July 19
Mon., July 22 to Fri., July 26
Mon., July 29 to Fri., August 2
Mon., September 23 to Fri., September 27
Mon., September 30 to Fri., October 4

Midnight to 5 a.m.

No L overnight between Lorimer St and Broadway Junction

What’s the work? We're putting the final touches on a few different pieces of the L Project, all of which require full access to the track or the station platform. This includes connecting the new substations in Brooklyn to power—these are the structures that will allow us to run more L trains once the project is complete.

What's happening to service?

From 10 PM to Midnight:
L: Operates every 20 minutes between 8 Av and Rockaway Parkway
L: Overlay operates every 20 minutes between Lorimer St and Rockaway Parkway

From Midnight to 5:00 AM:
L part 1: Operates between 8 Av to Lorimer St every 20 minutes
L part 2: Operates between Broadway Jct (L platform) and Rockaway Parkway every 20 minutes
Bus: Operates between Broadway Jct and Lorimer St

What should customers do? If you're traveling between Manhattan and Brooklyn, consider taking the A or J, as well as the special M service (until 1:30 a.m.). The free shuttle bus will come every 3 minutes to connect between Lorimer St and Broadway Junction, so consider this option, too.

Weekends

Fri., July 19 to Sun., July 21
Fri., July 26 to Sun., July 28
Fri., August 2 to Sun., August 4
Fri., September 27 to Sun., September 29
Fri., October 4 to Sun., October 6
Fri., January 3 to Sun., January 5
Fri., January 10 to Sun., January 12
Fri., January 17 to Sun., January 19
Fri., January 24 to Sun., January 26

12:01 A.M. on Saturday to 5 a.m. on Monday

No L overnight between Lorimer St and Broadway Junction

What’s the work? We're putting the final touches on a few different pieces of the L Project, all of which require full access to the track or the station platform. This includes connecting the new substations in Brooklyn to power—these are the structures that will allow us to run more L trains once the project is complete.

What's happening to service?
From 10 PM to Midnight Friday:
L: Operates every 20 minutes between 8 Av and Rockaway Parkway
L: Overlay operates every 20 minutes between Lorimer St and Rockaway Parkway

From 12:01 AM Saturday to 5:00 AM Monday:
L part 1: Operates between 8 Av to Lorimer St every 20 minutes
L part 2: Operates between Broadway Jct (J platform) and Rockaway Parkway every 20 minutes
Bus 1: Operates between Broadway Jct and Myrtle Av
Bus 2: Operates between Myrtle Av and Lorimer St

What should customers do? If you're traveling between Manhattan and Brooklyn, consider taking the A or J, as well as the special M service (until 1:30 a.m.). The free shuttle bus will come every 3 minutes to connect between Lorimer St and Broadway Junction, so consider this option, too.

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

They finished the work already? 🤨

They are doing electrical and track work at select stations on the (L) line between Lorimer st and Broadway Junction. They are also connecting the new substations which would allow more (L) trains to run after the tunnel project is finished.

Edited by Far rockaway

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

So the B91A is getting discontinued and replaced by the B62.

I mean, it was doing a (slightly) better job of siphoning riders from the B62 than anything else.

So much for the Williamsburg Link...

(Its failure was inevitable. Now let's see if we can get something resembling service improvements elsewhere.)

22 hours ago, Lex said:

I mean, it was doing a (slightly) better job of siphoning riders from the B62 than anything else.

So much for the Williamsburg Link...

(Its failure was inevitable. Now let's see if we can get something resembling service improvements elsewhere.)

B32 perhaps because why is it still on 30 min headways? 

Edited by NewFlyer 230

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I have some questions that's been on my mind for a little while to be honest.

As we all know, the original plan was for both of the (L)'s East River tubes to shut down full-time for 15 straight months. In addition, like the (R)'s Manhattan-Brooklyn (Montague Street) tubes, everything inside the (L)'s East River tube would have been completely replaced. Now, with the current piecemeal overnight and weekend closure, where only one of the tubes are closed at a time, virtually nothing inside is being replaced and only some adjustments are being made.

Now my question is this: how come the (MTA) didn't bother to look back into the full-time weekend closure option that they estimated would took seven years to complete. I find that to be pretty awkward. They should have compare that a little bit with the current piecemeal one we have now.

Look, there are 365 days a year, right? And there are a total of 52 weekends in a year (52 Saturdays + 52 Sundays = 104 weekend individual days total), am I right? How many days in 15 full months? 456.25.

So therefore, 104 + 104 + 104 + 104 + 40.25 = 456.25 days. That's basically 15 full months right there. In other words, four years and a half in which, under my proposal (yeah yeah...I know it's too late already now, I'm just making an observation), that the (L) would be completely shut down in both directions between 8th Avenue, Manhattan and Bedford Avenue, Brooklyn, with the weekend extension of the (M) to/from Midtown Manhattan.

Why didn't the (MTA) bother themselves to look into this particular option a bit more than they did the first time around when they estimated it would have taken over seven years every weekend to complete? This option would have not only possibly been considered the second best option (after the first option - close both tubes full-time for 15 straight months to get the work done faster and without the need to re-visit the tubes every week or so), but it is also basically 15 straight months right then and there; the agency would have been able to replace everything inside the tube like they previously did with the Montague tubes. Only difference is that this time, it will be on weekends only (where subway ridership in general is less than during the week), and once every week, workers have to re-visit to continue getting the work done. Meanwhile, weekday peak, weekday off-peak, and weekday evening (L) frequencies remain unchanged. In addition, the (G), (J), and (M) frequencies, car lengths, and/or service patterns remain unchanged.

This is what has basically been on my mind for a while ever since they've change plans for what to do from now on with the (L) tubes.

Yes, I know four years and a half with no weekend (L) service (under my proposal) between 8th Avenue, Manhattan and Bedford Avenue, Brooklyn is a pain in the ass but I still generally think it should have been a worthwhile looking more deeply into rather than just going straight forward with the piecemeal closure we get now.

Edited by Jemorie

1 hour ago, Jemorie said:

Guys, I have some questions that's been on my mind for a little while to be honest.

As we all know, the original plan was for both of the (L)'s East River tubes to shut down full-time for 15 straight months. In addition, like the (R)'s Manhattan-Brooklyn (Montague Street) tubes, everything inside the (L)'s East River tube would have been completely replaced. Now, with the current piecemeal overnight and weekend closure, where only one of the tubes are closed at a time, virtually nothing inside is being replaced and only some adjustments are being made.

Now my question is this: how come the (MTA) didn't bother to look back into the full-time weekend closure option that they estimated would took seven years to complete. I find that to be pretty awkward. They should have compare that a little bit with the current piecemeal one we have now.

Look, there are 365 days a year, right? And there are a total of 52 weekends in a year (52 Saturdays + 52 Sundays = 104 weekend individual days total), am I right? How many days in 15 full months? 456.25.

So therefore, 104 + 104 + 104 + 104 + 40.25 = 456.25 days. That's basically 15 full months right there. In other words, four years and a half in which, under my proposal (yeah yeah...I know it's too late already now, I'm just making an observation), that the (L) would be completely shut down in both directions between 8th Avenue, Manhattan and Bedford Avenue, Brooklyn, with the weekend extension of the (M) to/from Midtown Manhattan.

Why didn't the (MTA) bother themselves to look into this particular option a bit more than they did the first time around when they estimated it would have taken over seven years every weekend to complete? This option would have not only possibly been considered the second best option (after the first option - close both tubes full-time for 15 straight months to get the work done faster and without the need to re-visit the tubes every week or so), but it is also basically 15 straight months right then and there; the agency would have been able to replace everything inside the tube like they previously did with the Montague tubes. Only difference is that this time, it will be on weekends only (where subway ridership in general is less than during the week), and once every week, workers have to re-visit to continue getting the work done. Meanwhile, weekday peak, weekday off-peak, and weekday evening (L) frequencies remain unchanged. In addition, the (G), (J), and (M) frequencies, car lengths, and/or service patterns remain unchanged.

This is what has basically been on my mind for a while ever since they've change plans for what to do from now on with the (L) tubes.

Yes, I know four years and a half with no weekend (L) service (under my proposal) between 8th Avenue, Manhattan and Bedford Avenue, Brooklyn is a pain in the ass but I still generally think it should have been a worthwhile looking more deeply into rather than just going straight forward with the piecemeal closure we get now.

Andrew Cuomo.

19 hours ago, Lex said:

Andrew Cuomo.

Who at the time was likely mulling a run for President and didn't want to risk a scenario where they did the full shutdown, many commuters who can't or won't use public transportation getting stuck in traffic constantly and Cuomo blaming that for costing him votes in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and to a lesser extent Pennsylvania in the 2020 primaries.  Also, I believe his donors did not want the shutdown to happen out of concerns their workers would be stuck in excessive traffic due to street closures and so forth. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...