Addendum: NYCT Buys 200 Orions from TTC...May not happen!

The Real

I got word today that the MTA may be/or have backed off this deal after all. A bus was inspected and was found to have nearly 70 cracks in its frame (post rehab) and that they may end up saving the best 200 of the EOL (End of Life) buses we currently have. If this is the case, don't count on them being CNGs as the tanks on the Orion 7 Gen-Is and Gen-IIs are nearing expiration.

Please stay tuned.

Well, this will be a ride. Also think that the initial release of the info by the MTA was terrible--every outlet ran with '200 diesel buses polluting the streets,' and they didn't even KNOW that the TTC was retiring them because they no longer met emission regs up north. I could only see the press getting worse--what really should have been done was an announcement about how this was a cost-saving measure, or that these are clean diesel (technically, they are), instead of it letting the press run with it.

Well, this will be a ride. Also think that the initial release of the info by the MTA was terrible--every outlet ran with '200 diesel buses polluting the streets,' and they didn't even KNOW that the TTC was retiring them because they no longer met emission regs up north.

Heck, some of them made it sound like they were brand new buses

Maybe the (MTA) can buy some of Bee-Line's artics instead... By 2019, those buses should be at about the end of their tenure in Westchester anyway...

It's not as if Bee-Line really needs them anyway. All artics do up there is justify insanely high headways on most routes.

Maybe the (MTA) can buy some of Bee-Line's artics instead... By 2019, those buses should be at about the end of their tenure in Westchester anyway...

I don't think we need more Westchester loans, especially since the MTA doesn't know how to operate those neoplan artics, and training might be a pita. The only thing I can see us getting from Westchester is 201-204.

It's not as if Bee-Line really needs them anyway. All artics do up there is justify insanely high headways on most routes.

Some of you underestimate the artics in bee line. It does indeed get to a point where some routes like the 1, 2, 4 and 60 gets some loads around Yonkers and White Plains. Even if it's mainly during peak hours, 40 fters can't really help those routes at all times.

I used to take the 20 bus from BPB on Jerome Av to my PO Box at the Hartsdale Post Office after I sold my car (long story), and it didn't matter if it was the shortline to Cross County Mall or the full line to White Plains station that bus was always Standing Room Only before 11pm to the mall or the whole route.

The other artic routes may not need them, but that route does, along with more service.

I think I'm still paying for that box too.

I don't think we need more Westchester loans, especially since the MTA doesn't know how to operate those neoplan artics, and training might be a pita. The only thing I can see us getting from Westchester is 201-204.

Some of you underestimate the artics in bee line. It does indeed get to a point where some routes like the 1, 2, 4 and 60 gets some loads around Yonkers and White Plains. Even if it's mainly during peak hours, 40 fters can't really help those routes at all times.

Some? Some!?

The 60 gets crushed, along with the 20!

Well I think I just uncovered a bombshell and I am continuing to gather intel as I type. My sources call bullshit with the 70 cracks, and someone is being told to say this because the eco geeks don't want 200 diesel buses.

That was just the beginning. What I just uncovered in addition to the eco geeks just blew me away.

After I got this breaking, news I was told to go read the article "thoroughly." Well my first time actually reading it was 5 minutes ago and I instantly identified everything my source was talking about. The article bashes the whole thing from front to back and basically sums it up as "MTA solves L train shutdown with "200 old used ass non-green diesel buses."

Someone leaked this shit from within the MTA in an attempt to shut it down in my opinion. This article should NOT have been posted in the news. It should have posted first and exclusively by Trevor and followed up my none other than myself, and added to the Roster by Ray.

I posted 2 months ago and I always update you all on bus orders even if I know the model and can't say anything. So for there to ALL of a sudden an issue with something that Trevor and I have known about for 2 months screams out to me and says this right here and right now...

Dante Robinson, AKA East New York calls bullshit and I want to see the recipes for 70 cracks please. I been doing this shit for over 10 years. Trevor has been doing it longer, and the MTA has been doing it longer than both of us combined. Now all of a sudden after this shit is leaked, someone finds 70 cracks..... FOH

I know for a fact the MTA inspected those buses. This was supposed to be Trevor's exclusive that I already backed with the facts released only here at NYC Transit Forums. This was not supposed to be put out there yet.

Whoever did this knew that Trevor and I would post on it but like always we cannot and will not ever tell our direct sources. By them putting this in the news makes it a much bigger issue than what it really is in an attempt to make the issue bigger that what it really is... I'm just amazed right now.... I want to see receipts for 70 cracks right now, and until Time Out posts pictures, this is officially a damn scandal..... Not to mention Trevor and I were completely sidelined out of our exclusive in an attempt to make it seem as if we didn't know this was coming. Good thing I posted a random 200 diesel buses 2 months ago. I knew all the forum viewers would assume it was "new buses" and not ask any questions at all. All off a sudden it's a problem...... And all of a sudden there is a surprise emergency inspection on the buses coincidentally one day after Trevor makes the initial post....

Until I see pictures, Bye Felicia!! #OrionGate #SomeOneIsHating

Wishful thinking:

If the MTA is willing to get involved with articulated Neoplans that are up for replacement soon:

85 from NJT (from 2003-2004)

78 from Bee-Line (from 2002-2003)

25 from Port Authority of Allegheny County (2005)

A maximum total of 188.

And keep the best D60HF from MTA.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How about pure diesel D60?

Washington state has a bunch.

And keep the best ones from MTA.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Connecticut is replacing their D40LF, a potential 100-200 buses right there.

SEPTA and Detroit have a good bunch of D40LF that are creeping up there in age.

Denver RTD should still have many Orion V (2000).

MARTA is retiring their Orion VII diesels.

And if they want to try Gillig, there is a big aftermarket for those.

While I am no means knowledgeable about Bee Line's operations I will say that the practice of running artics on less frequent routes to provide capacity is pretty common. When there are limited resources (funding) sometimes it turns out to be the most cost effective solution to address capacity, not necessarily 'justify' headways. 

Wishful thinking:

If the MTA is willing to get involved with articulated Neoplans that are up for replacement soon:

85 from NJT (from 2003-2004)

78 from Bee-Line (from 2002-2003)

25 from Port Authority of Allegheny County (2005)

A maximum total of 188.

And keep the best D60HF from MTA.

How about pure diesel D60?

Washington state has a bunch.

And keep the best ones from MTA.

Connecticut is replacing their D40LF, a potential 100-200 buses right there.

SEPTA and Detroit have a good bunch of D40LF that are creeping up there in age.

Denver RTD should still have many Orion V (2000).

MARTA is retiring their Orion VII diesels.

And if they want to try Gillig, there is a big aftermarket for those.

While it's nice to throw suggestions out there the main benefit from MTA potentially acquiring 200 Orion VIIs is that it will be a decent sized fleet all with the same specifications which makes operating and maintaining them easier, the MTA is already familiar with the Orion VII, and the buses all come from the same soucr where the full operation and maintenance details are known. Putting together a fleet of buses that consists of different model buses from different places is a nightmare logistically, because they will have different specs, operational requirement, maintenance histories, etc.

Well I think I just uncovered a bombshell and I am continuing to gather intel as I type. My sources call bullshit with the 70 cracks, and someone is being told to say this because the eco geeks don't want 200 diesel buses.

That was just the beginning. What I just uncovered in addition to the eco geeks just blew me away.

After I got this breaking, news I was told to go read the article "thoroughly." Well my first time actually reading it was 5 minutes ago and I instantly identified everything my source was talking about. The article bashes the whole thing from front to back and basically sums it up as "MTA solves L train shutdown with "200 old used ass non-green diesel buses."

Someone leaked this shit from within the MTA in an attempt to shut it down in my opinion. This article should NOT have been posted in the news. It should have posted first and exclusively by Trevor and followed up my none other than myself, and added to the Roster by Ray.

I posted 2 months ago and I always update you all on bus orders even if I know the model and can't say anything. So for there to ALL of a sudden an issue with something that Trevor and I have known about for 2 months screams out to me and says this right here and right now...

Dante Robinson, AKA East New York calls bullshit and I want to see the recipes for 70 cracks please. I been doing this shit for over 10 years. Trevor has been doing it longer, and the MTA has been doing it longer than both of us combined. Now all of a sudden after this shit is leaked, someone finds 70 cracks..... FOH

I know for a fact the MTA inspected those buses. This was supposed to be Trevor's exclusive that I already backed with the facts released only here at NYC Transit Forums. This was not supposed to be put out there yet.

Whoever did this knew that Trevor and I would post on it but like always we cannot and will not ever tell our direct sources. By them putting this in the news makes it a much bigger issue than what it really is in an attempt to make the issue bigger that what it really is... I'm just amazed right now.... I want to see receipts for 70 cracks right now, and until Time Out posts pictures, this is officially a damn scandal..... Not to mention Trevor and I were completely sidelined out of our exclusive in an attempt to make it seem as if we didn't know this was coming. Good thing I posted a random 200 diesel buses 2 months ago. I knew all the forum viewers would assume it was "new buses" and not ask any questions at all. All off a sudden it's a problem...... And all of a sudden there is a surprise emergency inspection on the buses coincidentally one day after Trevor makes the initial post....

Until I see pictures, Bye Felicia!! #OrionGate #SomeOneIsHating

I knew that article sounded suspect. It was confusing the shit out of people when it came out on Sunday,because it mentioned the upcoming option order more times than the 200 buses and didn't even say they were old...

Archived