No Overnight Service until Summer 2021

MHV9218

5 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

There should be a table of the last passenger trains of the night listed by line and by station on the MTA web site.  I did see it but I have no ideas on how to bring it back up.

But the table would be based on regular service, not GO's, which may change the time.

Best bet, do not count on riding the last train of the night.

It was posted somewhere because I saw it one night and tried to figure out the last train to stop at certain locations. I was just doing it to kill time early one morning, last train to Pennsylvania Station, Queens Plaza, Nostrand/Flatbush, and the like. Went back to the site later on and couldn’t find the information any more. I didn’t want to download each subway line schedule so I gave up my little game. The last train to leave each terminal before 1 am in either direction on every line. My experience. Carry on.

39 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

It was posted somewhere because I saw it one night and tried to figure out the last train to stop at certain locations. I was just doing it to kill time early one morning, last train to Pennsylvania Station, Queens Plaza, Nostrand/Flatbush, and the like. Went back to the site later on and couldn’t find the information any more. I didn’t want to download each subway line schedule so I gave up my little game. The last train to leave each terminal before 1 am in either direction on every line. My experience. Carry on.

https://new.mta.info/coronavirus/overnight

5 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

There are errors in some of the schedules.

Look at the E schedule.  https://new.mta.info/coronavirus/overnight/last-E-train

Going towards WTC, the train arrives Canal Street at 12:50 AM, 50th Street at 12:55, 42nd Street 12:57, etc. down the line. Does the train back up after arriving at Canal?

I noticed similar errors in the D schedule.

1 minute ago, nostalgia said:

Look at the E schedule.  https://new.mta.info/coronavirus/overnight/last-E-train

Going towards WTC, the train arrives Canal Street at 12:50 AM, 50th Street at 12:55, 42nd Street 12:57, etc. down the line. Does the train back up after arriving at Canal?

They're not the same train. They list the latest train that is scheduled for that station before the shutdown. That may be the last train scheduled from the terminal before 1 AM, or it could be the trains before it, since by the time that last train in passenger service arrives at those stations, it'll be past 1 AM. 

On 12/27/2020 at 10:48 PM, NewFlyer 230 said:

The city needs to fix the homeless problem which only continues to get worst as the years progress. Unfortunately the MTA is left to deal with a problem that they did not create. It is sad seeing these people many of which are almost zombie like walking around so helpless. The homelessness problems on the subways will continue to exist as long as the city struggles with its homeless problem. 

Realistic what can the MTA really do to stop the homelessness in the subways? You can’t have police officers at every stations and on every train, so it’s honestly a problem the city needs to take serious and tackle. 

What if I told you that we had NYC Transit Police riding trains in the IRT during the overnights in the ‘80s ? It was a part of the argument over the introduction of OPTO if my memory is correct. It revolved around the concept of 3 sets of eyes observing instead of just two omitting the fact that the operator’s eyes should be looking forward. I know for a fact that officers would board a s/b (2) at 241st St and ride down to Times Square where they would be replaced by another officer who would ride the rest of the run to Flatbush Avenue. What I’m saying is that you can have a police presence on every train. Who’s gonna pay for it is another question altogether. My take. Carry on.

1 hour ago, Trainmaster5 said:

What I’m saying is that you can have a police presence on every train. Who’s gonna pay for it is another question altogether. My take. Carry on.

The eliminated "supplemental service" can pay for all of it. If needed, you can use regular cops and police academy cadets under their supervision.

On 12/24/2020 at 10:41 PM, B35 via Church said:

From leaving 242nd st, can passengers board these two trains, or no?

I'm a year late, but yes, the 4:57AM (1) picks up passengers (I would know cause I took that train to work).

3 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

What if I told you that we had NYC Transit Police riding trains in the IRT during the overnights in the ‘80s ? It was a part of the argument over the introduction of OPTO if my memory is correct. It revolved around the concept of 3 sets of eyes observing instead of just two omitting the fact that the operator’s eyes should be looking forward. I know for a fact that officers would board a s/b (2) at 241st St and ride down to Times Square where they would be replaced by another officer who would ride the rest of the run to Flatbush Avenue. What I’m saying is that you can have a police presence on every train. Who’s gonna pay for it is another question altogether. My take. Carry on.

Is that not also the reason why they ran 5 car sets back then as well overnight?

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Is that not also the reason why they ran 5 car sets back then as well overnight?

Nope. We ran 5 car trainsets on the (1) and (2) overnights to preserve the equipment back then. 5 cars from New Lots to 241st- WPR on the deuce was no joke and the round trip from VC around the ferry on the (1) wasn’t much better. The intervals I mentioned only made one 5 car round trip anyway before they were added back to their other half. This practice ended with the arrival of the R62 types and the overhauled SMEE cars. It had nothing to do with the Transit police patrols. I don’t know what the East Side IRT (4) or (6) ran overnights as a rule because I never worked on those lines but when I was working on the work trains I don’t recall ever seeing 5 car trains over there. Even when the (6) ran from Pelham to 125th St I only saw full length trains. I do remember that a 10 car (6) was regularly laid up south of the Brooklyn Bridge station. Now that I think about it there were 3 separate police forces back then. City, Housing, and Transit, all with different duties. I believe with the consolidation of the forces that the lines became blurred. Suburban dudes with their hands on their weapons looking for perps at Van Siclen Avenue on the New Lots line when the crime occurred at Van Siclen on the (J) . That’s when I started equating some officers 👮‍♀️ with the Guardian Angels. Just my recollections. Carry on.

19 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I was told otherwise by MTA PD.

What sucks about it though is that at times the last train departures will be cancelled and no one will notify the stations that are affected and people end up waiting 45 minutes for a train that's not coming.

Happened to me once before, was waiting for the last (4) at Borough Hall and it showed up on the clock as 13 minutes away, then 21 minutes away, then just disappeared entirely.

MTA police dont dictate our policies..

If there are passengers in a station they get on the train..

If there are trains in service..

I seen this already....

Edited by RTOMan

33 minutes ago, bulk88 said:

all homeless can sleep undisturbed unless it is a terminal station on the platform on cardboard

Except this one wasn't homeless. He was someone who came from outside and tried to enter a train during the overnight hours (as a matter of fact, the general public being prohibited from boarding the overnight trains is what started this altercation).

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 9:18 PM, Mtatransit said:

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 9:29 PM, nostalgia said:

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 9:33 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

They're not the same train. They list the latest train that is scheduled for that station before the shutdown. That may be the last train scheduled from the terminal before 1 AM, or it could be the trains before it, since by the time that last train in passenger service arrives at those stations, it'll be past 1 AM. 

Mtatransit: thank you for finding that link.

Nostalgia: as noted by BM5...…...not the same train.  The reason why is after those times the turnstiles are locked not allowing passengers the enter the system (passengers are on those later arrivals but others not allowed to enter),  those arriving trains are for exiting passengers only.  At the point where the first arrival later on which left the terminal without passengers arrives, then naturally there would be no passengers exiting.

5 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

UPDATE: If you thought that the subways would re-open for Overnight service by summer 2021..  Read this article and make your own assessments.

https://www.pix11.com/news/local-news/mta-de-blasio-say-late-night-subway-cleanings-will-continue

It's not up to deBlasio, it is not up to MTA to make the decision.

Cuomo will make the decision.

On 1/9/2021 at 1:06 PM, Bill from Maspeth said:

It's not up to deBlasio, it is not up to MTA to make the decision.

Cuomo will make the decision.

And I don't see Cuomo doing that until we really are much closer to normal, likely out of concerns of another incident in the overnight hours like what happened shortly after the Pandemic began would hurt his re-election bid in 2022 not to mention a potential Presidential run in 2028 or '32. 

On 1/13/2021 at 2:42 PM, R10 2952 said:

At the state level, governors like Cuomo Jr., Pataki, and Cuomo Sr. are all examples of why there should be term limits.

That said, the voters who re-elected these pricks aren't entirely blameless, either.

Term limits are democracy on autopilot. 

The better thing is what Stacey Abrams did in Georgia and activists did in Arizona, PA, WI, NC and NV - get people who can vote registered and get them to show up at the polls.

On 1/10/2021 at 5:03 PM, Wallyhorse said:

And I don't see Cuomo doing that until we really are much closer to normal, likely out of concerns of another incident in the overnight hours like what happened shortly after the Pandemic began would hurt his re-election bid in 2022 not to mention a potential Presidential run in 2028 or '32. 

Unfortunately for your theory, a successful Biden-Harris Administration means in 2028 Kamala Harris is the nominee.

If Cuomo wants another job, he’ll likely get Schumer to retire and run for his seat.

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Why? So people who have to get to work get an extra 40 minutes added to their trip for no reason because they have to take the bus?

And that's 40 minutes on a good day plus it depends on where you're coming from. 

8 hours ago, Deucey said:

Term limits are democracy on autopilot. 

The better thing is what Stacey Abrams did in Georgia and activists did in Arizona, PA, WI, NC and NV - get people who can vote registered and get them to show up at the polls.

Unfortunately for your theory, a successful Biden-Harris Administration means in 2028 Kamala Harris is the nominee.

If Cuomo wants another job, he’ll likely get Schumer to retire and run for his seat.

I think Cuomo is very happy where he is. I don't think he wants to go back to Washington unless there is a very good reason for him to do so. He did a cabinet stay there, I get the feeling he didn't particularly like it, because if he did, he would have run in 2020 if he did. Now can we get 24/7 back safely ASAP? Otherwise, the city turns into a de facto 11 pm shut down city. I don't think we want that as a city. We become Boston or Philadelphia if that happens.