R32 Retirement Run

nightmare402

18 hours ago, Calvin said:

Not to be this guy, but I'm wondering if the MTA has enough spare trains for the lettered lines even if the R32s had a set departure. Or that they'll have a wait till the R211s show in passenger service. 

They Don't. But with the Crew shortage they don't need them. They are taking a big gamble but with them making this Decision makes me think You'll see the R211's start their passenger 30 day test a lot sooner than we think. So far besides the very few incidents, They have been doing well testing so I wouldn't be surprised if we see the r211's do their 30 day test by March or April of 2022 instead of the summer. 

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, +Young+ said:

I understand where you're coming from, however, we'll see what happens as time progresses. After all, none of the older Nostalgia Trains have ran since before the pandemic began, and with the fact that the evidence I previously posted is self-explanatory...we'll see what happens as time progresses.

Yeah but again, that whole investigation has nothing to do with anything involving the current situation. I don't know why you're bringing all of this up because it's massively irrelevant and from what I recall, it's been dealt with a while ago with some of the parties involved getting suspended.

This might have to do with why they are not running(Video Link, expires in a few days).

The arnines -technically- ran last year by way of a online stream last I remember. Some of the others ran on various Brighton Line trips between Kings Highway and Brighton Beach too.

Edited by Cait Sith

17 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Yeah but again, that whole investigation has nothing to do with anything involving the current situation. I don't know why you're bringing all of this up because it's massively irrelevant and from what I recall, it's been dealt with a while ago with some of the parties involved getting suspended.

This might have to do with why they are not running(Video Link, expires in a few days).

The arnines -technically- ran last year by way of a online stream last I remember. Some of the others ran on various Brighton Line trips between Kings Highway and Brighton Beach too.

That incident isn't the reason why they aren't running the R1/9's this year. A lot of the senior guys retired and other factors as well. Plus they were training T/O's to operate them on future trips.

I got a tip about them replacing the holiday train with R32's about a month ago and I thought it was a joke until i put 2 and 2 together.  If it all goes well, They might use the R32's as the new holiday train going forward (That's a rumor as of now.)

As much as it's odd, This is kinda refreshing in a way, The R1/9's get way too over crowded and I always said they should run the 60 foot SMEE's alongside the R1/9's to split the crowd.

I just wished they ran this train between 168th and WTC with the last run being the same as now with the (Q)

But I'll say this, This is a great way for them to retire them.

2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Pretty much.  If anything, my money would be on that mechanical situation, the fallout from it, coronavirus in general, and the usual MTA concerns about litigation being the reason for the change.

17 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

That incident isn't the reason why they aren't running the R1/9's this year. A lot of the senior guys retired and other factors as well. Plus they were training T/O's to operate them on future trips.

I got a tip about them replacing the holiday train with R32's about a month ago and I thought it was a joke until i put 2 and 2 together.  If it all goes well, They might use the R32's as the new holiday train going forward (That's a rumor as of now.)

As much as it's odd, This is kinda refreshing in a way, The R1/9's get way too over crowded and I always said they should run the 60 foot SMEE's alongside the R1/9's to split the crowd.

I just wished they ran this train between 168th and WTC with the last run being the same as now with the (Q)

But I'll say this, This is a great way for them to retire them.

I would have liked a final (K) run.

Also, I really wish they would operate these special trains with either the (S) bullet or another to not confuse it with the regular trains.

I think you guys are massively overthinking this. And why we had to dox a PATH employee who's a decent guy and a former member here is, frankly, beyond me. The Arnines attract huge crowds. That simply isn't sustainable during covid. Also, when the decision had to be made in terms of staffing and planning, we had no idea what was ahead of us re: omicron and its transmissibility. They didn't want massive overcrowding, so they're not running them this year. The 32s are coming out as 1) a bone to the transit fans, who had every trip canceled, 2) a little promotion for the NYTM, which is trying to come back, and 3) a compromise over multiple weekends (outdoors) that won't draw anywhere near the level of crowds we see with the Arnines. The Arnines will run again – they're not going to replace them with an R32 set, that would be meaningless for most of the non-buff public. They're the single best promotion the NYTM has each year, and they keep them in very good shape for that reason. Maybe next year – till then, let's be glad about the 32s, which are a treat for us fans alone.

10 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Also, I really wish they would operate these special trains with either the (S) bullet or another to not confuse it with the regular trains.

I seem to recall them using an S sign on the Arnines. With the R32s, they probably could set the side signs on Special, although the front Flipdot sign could be pretty much anything. It’ll be hard to see it anyway. I don’t suppose they’d be able to do anything to approximate the original historical look on the front of the final R32 train’s run, like the big (A67) sign they had for the final R42 run, other than possibly repaint the front and side doors blue.

1 hour ago, Eric B said:

What was this explosion in the video, anyway? I don't remember hearing about it (or if I did; I didn't realize ho big it was).

A few people have gone around stating it wasn't from the train itself, but rather from the 3rd rail not in gauge (I don't remember what exactly was said). Someone even said the train itself was fine.

3 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

I think you guys are massively overthinking this. And why we had to dox a PATH employee who's a decent guy and a former member here is, frankly, beyond me. The Arnines attract huge crowds. That simply isn't sustainable during covid. Also, when the decision had to be made in terms of staffing and planning, we had no idea what was ahead of us re: omicron and its transmissibility. They didn't want massive overcrowding, so they're not running them this year. The 32s are coming out as 1) a bone to the transit fans, who had every trip canceled, 2) a little promotion for the NYTM, which is trying to come back, and 3) a compromise over multiple weekends (outdoors) that won't draw anywhere near the level of crowds we see with the Arnines. The Arnines will run again – they're not going to replace them with an R32 set, that would be meaningless for most of the non-buff public. They're the single best promotion the NYTM has each year, and they keep them in very good shape for that reason. Maybe next year – till then, let's be glad about the 32s, which are a treat for us fans alone.

There's a few things that are going to change in the future, I heard a few things and got tips on a few things. Nothing is going to be the same anymore. 

The R32's are going to be overcrowded with all types of people anyway, the only difference is is that you have one extra car which is 10 cars vs. 8 to 9 cars and more fans.

At the End of the day they have to please the railfans too. The R1/9's needed a break.

49 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I seem to recall them using an S sign on the Arnines. With the R32s, they probably could set the side signs on Special, although the front Flipdot sign could be pretty much anything. It’ll be hard to see it anyway. I don’t suppose they’d be able to do anything to approximate the original historical look on the front of the final R32 train’s run, like the big (A67) sign they had for the final R42 run, other than possibly repaint the front and side doors blue.

Trust me, They are going to go all out for this. We will be in for a treat trust me.

11 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I think they'll use Special or the Franklin Ave (S) signs.

Edited by R32 3838

57 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

(I think I can say this without causing any issues)

There will be no rollsigns, everything will be specially made stickers.

https://www.railwayage.com/passenger/rapid-transit/nyct-farewell-brightliners/?RAchannel=passenger&fbclid=IwAR0NUxu_bK2Z1Nzg8v4itrc4BZbOI4cQzoVExMYzyPJTIGvUXr-4RrhNfN4

More in detail to the R32 run starting Sunday. The chains might be be seen to where the C/R moves around. 

Edited by Calvin

I'M DREAMING HERE, trust me, I am not trying to start a rumor at all.  But I was told shortly after the R32's received their GOH, and I DID NOT HEAR a confirmation on this, that the digital end sign, along with all the "tin" around it, was simply put over the original end signs/markers/local/exp. signs.  Wouldn't it be great if that rumor was true and they are able to restore the "face" to its former and proper glory? 

32 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

I'M DREAMING HERE, trust me, I am not trying to start a rumor at all.  But I was told shortly after the R32's received their GOH, and I DID NOT HEAR a confirmation on this, that the digital end sign, along with all the "tin" around it, was simply put over the original end signs/markers/local/exp. signs.  Wouldn't it be great if that rumor was true and they are able to restore the "face" to its former and proper glory? 

Man, I'd give anything to see them do that. Years ago (2010ish?), I even asked if it was possible to restore the face on her (or maybe it was Subchat), but with LED screens and marker lights. I don't remember what answer I got, if any. Of course the GE R32s still had the housings for the marker lights and the Exp and Local signs covered over, but still in plain sight. Those would be the easiest to restore Unfortunately, all but two of those cars were reefed and I believe the remaining two cars are at Floyd Bennett Field for NYPD training. 

But restoring the interiors to their former glory? That's the real challenge, lol.

21 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Man, I'd give anything to see them do that. Years ago (2010ish?), I even asked if it was possible to restore the face on her (or maybe it was Subchat), but with LED screens and marker lights. I don't remember what answer I got, if any. Of course the GE R32s still had the housings for the marker lights and the Exp and Local signs covered over, but still in plain sight. Those would be the easiest to restore Unfortunately, all but two of those cars were reefed and I believe the remaining two cars are at Floyd Bennett Field for NYPD training. 

But restoring the interiors to their former glory? That's the real challenge, lol.

I was NOT refering to the 10 R32's GOH'ed by GE.  I never even thought about them in my post since I am well aware that 8 were reefed and 2 are at Floyd Bennett Field.

3 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

I was NOT refering to the 10 R32's GOH'ed by GE.  I never even thought about them in my post since I am well aware that 8 were reefed and 2 are at Floyd Bennett Field.

Bill, I knew you weren’t referring to the GE R32s. But I was just pointing out the GE’s still had visible marker light housings after GOH, so they might have been easier to work with for restoration. But maybe I’m wrong about that. I admit I don’t know anything about restoring a subway car, or even a private car.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue
Clarification

The two phase two pairs already set aside for the TM... seems like they never ran outside of CI Yard since they was retired about an decade ago. Would be nice if they dusted them off and ran on these trips. I understand why they never used them on trips while the R32 was an active fleet. Also mechanically Phase two R32s were inferior to the Phase one cars but the phase two cars that are saved have historical significance which is why they are still around.

27 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The two phase two pairs already set aside for the TM... seems like they never ran outside of CI Yard since they was retired about an decade ago. Would be nice if they dusted them off and ran on these trips. I understand why they never used them on trips while the R32 was an active fleet. Also mechanically Phase two R32s were inferior to the Phase one cars but the phase two cars that are saved have historical significance which is why they are still around.

Likely because they are lowest numbered cars: 3350/51; 3352/53.  I doubt if anybody is still around from 1964 who knows which cars were part of the first group of R32's delivered here.  Also note that these 4 cars were not part of the very first R32 train to hit service.

31 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Don't we still have the R32 cars that ran on Metro North during the acceptance?

Yeah, 3360/1.

I think Bill meant the first train to run on NYCT property which was an entirely different consist, as per nycsubway.org. The 9/14/64 consist have all been scrapped.

Edited by SimplyMyself

6 hours ago, SimplyMyself said:

Yeah, 3360/1.

I think Bill meant the first train to run on NYCT property which was an entirely different consist, as per nycsubway.org. The 9/14/64 consist have all been scrapped.

3358/59 was apart of that first train which was a Phase I R32, Idiots reefed it in 2009.

3360/61 should be the phase I pair saved as well as 3354/55.

Edited by R32 3838

On 12/13/2021 at 5:28 PM, MHV9218 said:

why we had to dox a PATH employee who's a decent guy and a former member here is, frankly, beyond me. 

This I agree with- there was absolutely no need for that.  Honestly, I'm beginning to see why him, SG, and Y2 all left...

On 12/13/2021 at 9:06 PM, R32 3838 said:

There's a few things that are going to change in the future, I heard a few things and got tips on a few things. Nothing is going to be the same anymore. 

Wouldn't be surprised.

Edited by R10 2952