R32 Retirement Run

nightmare402

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, T J Trainman said:

How many cars will the train have?

Good question, I'm going to say probably 10 because 8 cars is too small. There are going to be a lot of people so they're most likely not going to take the chance of running 8 car 60 feet long lengths, especially when (I'm assuming) they're going to be running express on both the holiday runs and Retirement run.

13 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

Good question, I'm going to say probably 10 because 8 cars is too small. There are going to be a lot of people so they're most likely not going to take the chance of running 8 car 60 feet long lengths, especially when (I'm assuming) they're going to be running express on both the holiday runs and Retirement run.

It's 10, platform fits the whole train in that number. If it's 8, then it's because it runs via the Williamsburg Bridge to either Metro Av or Bway Junction that only fits 8 cars. 

On 12/17/2021 at 2:53 PM, VIP said:

3888-3889/3646-3647 and 3896-3897 are preparing for the holiday run at Coney Island yard. They got their thresholds painted silver and as well as all of the pantograph gates, and bulkheads. 

They're not preparing these cars out of 207th Street Shop, where the rest of the Nostalgia Trains are prepared?

Edited by +Young+

On 12/14/2021 at 2:05 PM, Bill from Maspeth said:

I'M DREAMING HERE, trust me, I am not trying to start a rumor at all.  But I was told shortly after the R32's received their GOH, and I DID NOT HEAR a confirmation on this, that the digital end sign, along with all the "tin" around it, was simply put over the original end signs/markers/local/exp. signs.  Wouldn't it be great if that rumor was true and they are able to restore the "face" to its former and proper glory? 

You mean the original cutouts for the signs. The actual signs (or even the lights or mechanisms for them) aren't going to still be behind there. Everything gets stripped from the car in the GOH.

Still, the current digital signs are directly in the middle, where the old signs had two next to each other that were not centered. The direct center would lie more in the right (destintion) sign slot, but I don't know if the current signs would fit completely in it. So they may have had to cut the piece between the old signs to center it. 

It otherwise does look like they simply tinned over the old front, so they likely wouldn't cut anymore than they had to to fit the new front and sign slot. However, the marker lights were on raised surfaces, and those are obviously gone, but the holes for them could still be there; again, if they didn't remove the whole original front panel.
The R38 is where they kept the original moulding under the new front and even the combined cutout is still outlined.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Whats this I'm hearing about vandalism on the first trip???

Supposedly, a map holder got stolen. Signs were also changed. These young fans are a bunch of dumbasses.

And also, people were apparently fighting on the train.

What happened that caused the train out of service? It passed West 4th Street on the SB express track like a few minutes ago (meaning it won't be making that 4:00 PM trip from 2nd Avenue).

If it did make that trip BTW, it would have been subject to congestion, since some (C) and (E) trains are operating via 6th Avenue due to some incident at 42nd Street - PABT.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

15 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

What happened that caused the train out of service? It passed West 4th Street on the SB express track like a few minutes ago (meaning it won't be making that 4:00 PM trip from 2nd Avenue).

If it did make that trip BTW, it would have been subject to congestion, since some (C) and (E) trains are operating via 6th Avenue due to some incident at 42nd Street - PABT.

It was taken out of service due to entensive vandalism. Because of that, they took the train out of service and cancelled the remaining trips. The 2:00 run from 2nd Avenue to 145th St was the last run for today. Train is heading back to Coney Island Yard.

32 minutes ago, Mpn4179 said:

It was taken out of service due to entensive vandalism. Because of that, they took the train out of service and cancelled the remaining trips. The 2:00 run from 2nd Avenue to 145th St was the last run for today. Train is heading back to Coney Island Yard.

Yeah, someone got thrown off the train, it was weird, and a confusing day down there.

5 hours ago, ShortzYT said:

Edited by Deucey to remove derogatory language and identifying info

I understand that he is autistic, but it is a shame it went into that direction.

I had hoped to get on that interval myself from 145 because I just wanted to have the thrill of riding on that last 32. I was around the middle, where @Dj Hammers was sitting in 3646. When I read through all the tomfoolery that happened earlier, I kept on saying things like: "How could people be so dumb to do these things?" Now I know why that interval never opened up. At least I ran into Knuckles, though.

Edited by Deucey
Edited by Deucey

Was expecting to take the 5PM from 145th...

of course, I overestimated the maturity of some railfans

Let me guess what happened... someone said something about ones beloved train/bus model and emotions were triggered...

saying RTS/Orion V is trash can be dangerous on these trips...

47 minutes ago, 1train2255railfan said:

Based on what I’m hearing, the MTA might need to introduce cops to this event, similarly to how there were some on the R42 Retirement Run. 

What's crazy is the transit hobby is a "nerdy" hobby yet this hobby has so many people that misbehave. As an 30 year old millenial, growing up in school the nerds were well behaved and it was usually the cool kids with the edge to them. Wonder with these Gen Z kids that even the nerds are wilding out these days.

Extra police presence needed for an event for such an nerdy hobby, feels crazy even typing that lol.

Edited by trainfan22

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

To their credit, they did hire security for the occasion. And they had quite the time.

This is an embarrassment. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that this was United Airlines lol. The Transit Museum should be proud of the way their hired muscle shoved people around on the train today. Completely unprofessional.