R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

Agreed. They could have put the red LEDs elsewhere. They just have to be showing anyhow.

And for us passengers, it's difficult to tell what train is coming when the sign is so tiny. From one end of the platform, I would need wait until the train has made its way down two-thirds of the platform before being able to squint and see what train it was. Anyone who needs to make split-second decisions based on the train that's arriving is pretty much screwed.

The red LEDs need to go, imagine how beautiful an MTA subway car would look with multicolored signs it would make people understand their train faster through the first clue of the distinction of color in the circle or diamond, at least a white letter or number with a colored cirle or diamond perimeter, it doesnt necessarily need to be a full on shaded shape, when it comes to the side amber LEDs, they're ok because their primary function is to display route information with the line designation, no need for multicolor LEDs, but I think the interior LEDs should also feature more LED colors than just red and green, especially for lines that are blue and purple and gray , like (E)(L)(7) and eventually the three (S) which can only do with amber for example have a blue LED for blue lines, blue and red blend and make purple, and since you can't have gray light, have white represent gray, other lines can do justice with just red and green like amber can take in place for orange,yellow, and brown Edited by StevenFrancis

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. They could have put the red LEDs elsewhere. They just have to be showing anyhow.

And for us passengers, it's difficult to tell what train is coming when the sign is so tiny. From one end of the platform, I would need wait until the train has made its way down two-thirds of the platform before being able to squint and see what train it was. Anyone who needs to make split-second decisions based on the train that's arriving is pretty much screwed.

In all honesty where you have to stand on the platform to even get that type of look to see what train is coming.....you shouldn't be standing there anyway.

In all honestly. The countdown clocks are going to spread to the B division eventually and this will be a moot point.

I may not have mentioned it before, but the different colors could even help the towers identify trains, when the tower is in a place where the trains are visible, or even places like DeKalb/Gold that uses a camera. 

(Colors were used like this back with the new large color signs on the slants in 1967).

I may not have mentioned it before, but the different colors could even help the towers identify trains, when the tower is in a place where the trains are visible, or even places like DeKalb/Gold that uses a camera.

(Colors were used like this back with the new large color signs on the slants in 1967).

Exactly cuz now towers can determine trains based off of where they came from and which line it has punched in prior to entering the interlocking vicinty. Edited by StevenFrancis

In all honesty where you have to stand on the platform to even get that type of look to see what train is coming.....you shouldn't be standing there anyway.

In all honestly. The countdown clocks are going to spread to the B division eventually and this will be a moot point.

At Canal Street (on the Brooklyn-bound platform leading to the Manhattan Bridge) one doesn't need to venture to the edge to see. In fact, much can be seen even by standing behind the orange line.

Edited by CenSin

At Canal Street (on the Brooklyn-bound platform leading to the Manhattan Bridge) one doesn't need to venture to the edge to see. In fact, much can be seen even by standing behind the orange line.

At Canal yes you're right, but at a majority of other stations especially those with support columns. In order to see you would need to stand on or almost on the yellow platform edge strip which brings ups the question. What value does it provide knowing exactly which train is approaching while it's still in the tunnel approaching the station as opposed to waiting until it's in your station?

I can't see the point. I don't think the TA can neither which is probably why no changes are really planned for the end route signs.

At Canal yes you're right, but at a majority of other stations especially those with support columns. In order to see you would need to stand on or almost on the yellow platform edge strip which brings ups the question. What value does it provide knowing exactly which train is approaching while it's still in the tunnel approaching the station as opposed to waiting until it's in your station?

I can't see the point. I don't think the TA can neither which is probably why no changes are really planned for the end route signs.

Whenever I wait for my train at Jay St, I stand at the 8-car marker and wait until I can see whether it's a (C) or an (A). For the (A), I walk forward and I'm at the 10-car by the time the train's in the station. Similar stuff happens elsewhere; you could be waiting for a local on the 8th Ave, you'll want to see if it's a (C) or an (E) to figure out if you'll have to move down from the end of the platform or not. Other trains get more crowded depending on certain cars, good to see the route then as well. 

No they don't. The only reason for the red LED's is that, when the R142's were designed in the 90's, red was the only practical and affordable color, and that aspect of the car hasn't been redesigned since.

I'm hoping that the R211's have large screens displaying the proper route symbols, as they appear on the R46-R68 fleets but without the need for manual rolling.

Given that LCD and LED TVs are incredibly cheap nowadays, installing something along the lines Yankees... is suggesting probably wouldn't cost that much. Of course, this won't happen for the 179 order, but it should be something looked into for the 211 one.

Given that LCD and LED TVs are incredibly cheap nowadays, installing something along the lines Yankees... is suggesting probably wouldn't cost that much. Of course, this won't happen for the 179 order, but it should be something looked into for the 211 one.

Getting them to be bright, intense and contrasty enough might be an issue.