SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

There are clocks at DeKalb Ave (although I don't know if they're online yet). AFAIK, only 4th Avenue in Brooklyn has these for now; Brighton, Sea Beach, West End, and Culver will see them sooner or later.

I saw countdown clocks at Atlantic Ave (Brighton) and more all along West End line

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are first working on activating the countdown clocks on the (R) line, and then will activate the ones on the (C) line. (According to an employee who was part of a group inspecting one of the new countdown clocks.)

They are first working on activating the countdown clocks on the (R) line, and then will activate the ones on the (C) line. (According to an employee who was part of a group inspecting one of the new countdown clocks.)

based on the details you guys provided, the GTFS is getting updated the weekend before the signage gets power.

Works for me.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

They are still in beta testing, so I can't say I'm surprised.

In other news, for those unaware, I've updated the so-called Vignelli Hybrid maps to include general information upcoming long-term service changes, as well as those already in progress. Also, since Select Bus Service has become so ubiquitous as of late, stations now display SBS route and airport connections.

Dja2Elx.png

Daytime Version

vd8VwBX.png

Night Version

I've also digitized the original 1972 Vignelli map, taking a few liberties with the line colors. Instead of the slight variations between lines on the original map, I've retained the colors as intended according to the sign standards manual. Take a look at the difference:

VoFpI7k.png

Original

3RsxxaB.png

Recreation

Recreated 1972 Vignelli Map 

Stay tuned for more...

Edited by Lance

In other news, for those unaware, I've updated the so-called Vignelli Hybrid maps to include general information upcoming long-term service changes, as well as those already in progress. Also, since Select Bus Service has become so ubiquitous as of late, stations now display SBS route and airport connections.

Daytime Version

Night Version

I've also digitized the original 1972 Vignelli map, taking a few liberties with the line colors. Instead of the slight variations between lines on the original map, I've retained the colors as intended according to the sign standards manual. Take a look at the difference:

Original

Recreation

Stay tuned for more...

Is there a way to see more of your maps on Dropbox?

Dja2Elx.png

Daytime Version

vd8VwBX.png

Night Version

VoFpI7k.png

Original

3RsxxaB.png

Recreation

Stay tuned for more...

Awesome job!

Haha, a R142 consist just rolled into Bowling Green, signed up as a (3) service. It was flagged to stop by an employee on the platform, who told the operator. Op realized it was an accident and changed it to (5), what it was supposed to be. I love these random slipups. Might post a video later.

Edited by DailyDose

Was the (6) making stops in Manhattan to the Bronx always programmed to say Parkchester or Pelham Bay Park bound? 

Meanwhile, there's other lines like the (4), or (7) announcing the train either Queens bound or Brooklyn bound etc. 

Also, 7501-7505 and 7506-7510/7929 were in separate (7) trains yesterday.  

Edited by CH3348

Was the (6) making stops in Manhattan to the Bronx always programmed to say Parkchester or Pelham Bay Park bound? 

Meanwhile, there's other lines like the (4), or (7) announcing the train either Queens bound or Brooklyn bound etc. 

No. It was changed in 2007 to reduce confusion on the Pelham expresses and Parkchester locals. Previously, Pelham Bay Park-bound <6> trains announced themselves as "Bronx-bound (6) express trains", despite running local in Manhattan.

The (N) has new Coney Island bound announcements now. Now they go "This is a Coney Island Stillwell Avenue bound N local train."

Apparently, what's old is new again. When the 160s first arrived and were placed in service on the (N) line, the announcement was "this is a Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue-bound...". Most of these announcements were also changed in '07 to the shortened version. I believe one of the few exceptions to this is on the (D), which still has its original destination announcements.

Speaking of the R62 (1), are there plans for the R62s to go back to the (3) once the (7) gives up the last of its R62As?

Yes, but some of the R62As may be kept at Corona for garbage duty and 1-2 trains formed if one of the R188s aren't in service. 

The (N) has new Coney Island bound announcements now. Now they go "This is a Coney Island Stillwell Avenue bound N local train."

Interesting how the A division is doubling down on shortened announcements while the B division is going all out. Though, the local moniker is unnecessary. IMO keep it the same as it was, but maybe add 'express' between Atlantic and 59th.

Interesting how the A division is doubling down on shortened announcements while the B division is going all out. Though, the local moniker is unnecessary. IMO keep it the same as it was, but maybe add 'express' between Atlantic and 59th.

They should mention whether the train is express or local only if the train deviates from its normal weekday service or is an additional peak express service. That would shorten the announcements somewhat. For the (N), it would only mention that it’s a local train on weekends at Broadway stations and during overnight hours. For the (F), no mention is needed as it runs the same service pattern around the clock. The (7) should always make the distinction.

Edited by CenSin

I have a question;

When they connected the Broadway tracks to the Bridge, did they HAVE to severe the connection to Nassau? I feel like that would make a lot of rerouting options become less of a pain...

Because the Nassau loop was a pointless route