SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

8 minutes ago, Lance said:

Why does Ms. Mitchell always sound like she's gargling marbles?

I know it may not have been possible, but I'd still be nice to see the original announcer of the (2) line record the station name instead of Mitchell. Or just a different announcer entirely to announce "This Is A __ Bound (2) Train, The Next Stop Is WTC-Cortlandt" for consistency.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Lance said:

Nothing consequential. As long as you don't mind shifting the riders of those two stations to South Ferry-Whitehall St and either of the two Cortlandt St stations. Same thing if you closed 18 Street and 28 Street, with Penn Station, 23 Street and 14 Street forced to pick up the slack.

In case the sarcasm is too subtle, it's a bad idea all around as, while each station mentioned is relatively low use, they all serve a purpose of not overwhelming the other nearby stations. The only reason why 18 Street, Worth St and 91 Street were closed in the '50s was because the platform extensions meant these stops would be literally on top of each other. None of the ones proposed above fit that criteria.

Speaking of Cortlandt St, apparently, they recorded a new station announcement for the recent name change. It sounds just as bad as I thought it would:

What did I just hear? Bring back Charlie Pellet, like for real. This has gone on long enough.

4 hours ago, Lance said:

Nothing consequential. As long as you don't mind shifting the riders of those two stations to South Ferry-Whitehall St and either of the two Cortlandt St stations. Same thing if you closed 18 Street and 28 Street, with Penn Station, 23 Street and 14 Street forced to pick up the slack.

In case the sarcasm is too subtle, it's a bad idea all around as, while each station mentioned is relatively low use, they all serve a purpose of not overwhelming the other nearby stations. The only reason why 18 Street, Worth St and 91 Street were closed in the '50s was because the platform extensions meant these stops would be literally on top of each other. None of the ones proposed above fit that criteria.

Speaking of Cortlandt St, apparently, they recorded a new station announcement for the recent name change. It sounds just as bad as I thought it would:

If it wasn't for you saying the name, I would of thought it was a man.

Oh excuse me, a completely different person.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Does anyone have any photos of the (7) tunnel facing 34th St before the station started construction?

Their was tail tracks that went past Times Square, so I don't think it was possible to get decent photos of where the bumper block was.

Edited by trainfan22

7 hours ago, Lance said:

This exemplifies the stupidity of MTA's naming policy. They have no issue with three stations named 7th Avenue or 5 stations named 23rd Street, yet they insisted on that awkward as hell "W-T-C Cortlandt" name to differentiate it from a station a block away that services the exact same area. Ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, RR503 said:

Saw this one last night — sure there are others by now... 

I saw it too. This is the rarest thing I've personally caught so far, as the last time it happened was in 2012. 

It's kinda similar to the extra R160s running on the (A) and (D) in 2017 for the Women's March. 

Also what do you mean by "there are others?"

46005830951_149de70560_b.jpg

13 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

Also what do you mean by "there are others?"

Other videos. That was the only video I could find last night when I looked (though, granted, I suck at googling things...) 

It’s a real testament to MTA logic that we feel the need to run extras for shit like this, whereas places across the system experience worse crowding every time a rush hour gap evolves and yet we don’t have any true gap trains. 

Edited by RR503

Where was that R68 from? I feel it didn't come from the one set that runs on the (A) since it's pretty clean (compared to what I usually see from Pitkin). Maybe it came from the (B) or (D) though that's just my thoughts.

Still, a pretty interesting catch that I'd love to see in person since R68's are rare on 8th Avenue and Fulton St local. I know @FlushingExpress doesn't likely ride the (C), but this is probably making him angry!

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

21 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Where was that R68 from? I feel it didn't come from the one set that runs on the (A) since it's pretty clean (compared to what I usually see from Pitkin). Maybe it came from the (B) or (D) though that's just my thoughts.

Still, a pretty interesting catch that I'd love to see in person since R68's are rare on 8th Avenue and Fulton St local. I know @FlushingExpress doesn't likely ride the (C), but this is probably making him angry!

That 68 set is assigned to the (D) line, it ran light from Concourse Yard to the (C) line.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:32 PM, Cabanamaner said:

This exemplifies the stupidity of MTA's naming policy. They have no issue with three stations named 7th Avenue or 5 stations named 23rd Street, yet they insisted on that awkward as hell "W-T-C Cortlandt" name to differentiate it from a station a block away that services the exact same area. Ridiculous. 

It wouldn't be nearly as bad if they just left it as "World Trade Center-Cortlandt" if they absolutely had to distinguish between it and the 8th Avenue station. Nobody on earth, not even the tourists call it "W-T-C". I hear "Ground Zero" way too many times for my liking, but I have never heard anyone ask how to get to the "W-T-C" building.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:22 PM, Around the Horn said:

Re the (2) train announcement:

At least get Kathleen Campion to record it since she at least sounds similar to Diane Thompson (some of the (C) announcements are downright scary close to her voice)

It's also why everyone, myself included, believed it was Thompson doing the destination announcements for the (2) to 137 St-City College and 242 Street, when it they were recorded by Campion. I also believe it's the reason why Thompson's (2) recording for the railroad connections at 34 St-Penn Station replaced the original ones for the (A) and (C) during the M34 +Select update.

@Trainmaster5@RTOMan @other RTO members -- got a question for y'all. I've recently become much more aware of the fact that TOs are reluctant to take STs. They'll creep up on them at less than half of posted speed, or will just wait for the signal to go to yellow or green before heading towards the station. I understand that sharing platforms and stopping w/in the station are frowned upon, and that ST signage/the STs themselves are unreliable, but I'd love to hear more about your experiences with them. STs are central to increasing subway throughput; the fact that we aren't using them is worrying. Thanks in advance!

18 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Hey is the holiday train going to be out tomorrow and if so, would it pass by 23rd Street since it's reopening Tomorrow. I'm thinking of checking it out when I have the Chance. 

It only runs every Sunday until December 30. It won't pass by 23 St since it's using the express tracks this year. 

You can go next week if you want to. 

" (M)buses make all stops between Metropolitan Av and Myrtle Av (Broadway) and run express to/from Delancey St/Essex St in Manhattan."

This is a direct quote from the MTA website, but eariler today when i took said bus, it stopped at all stations until Myrtle Avenue. Serious miscommunication here 🙄

Edited by Train92

2 hours ago, Train92 said:

" (M)buses make all stops between Metropolitan Av and Myrtle Av (Broadway) and run express to/from Delancey St/Essex St in Manhattan."

This is a direct quote from the MTA website, but eariler today when i took said bus, it stopped at all stations until Myrtle Avenue. Serious miscommunication here 🙄

yes series miscommunication. I know i thought the shuttle buses would run express between myrtle ave and essex street.

11 hours ago, Calvin said:

Since the design that was on the experimental R62As removed as well as refurbished R160s pairing up with regular 160s, can we have our seats back?

Yes please! especially that atrocity of an experiment -Known as that one  blue East New York R160 set.

I was on the A train to Far Rockaway and I coughed mid-way through the hour ride but forgot to cover my mouth. Someone sitting two seats away from me told me to cover my mouth so I did. Then two high school kids came on the train and one of them sat in between me and that man and that man told that high school kid that I coughed and didn't cover my mouth and the high school kid got up. I got uncomfortable with the man and switched seats. I coughed again in the different seat and two women moved a little away. Then that man told them something I forgot what and gave me a handful of tissues and told me to cough into them. I did for rest of the times.

The train finally reached Far Rockaway and everyone including me, the man, and the two high school guys got off. I was walking past the man and the two high school kids and the man cursed at me. I walked right past two policemen out of the station expecting my mother who promised to pick me up to be at the station with her car but she wasn't so I called her and she told me that she'll be there in 5 minutes.

I hung up right when the man came out of the station and started chasing me. I ran for two blocks and then fell. The man caught up to me and punched me. I got back up and ran some more but the man caught up to me and just stared at me. I kept on telling the man how sorry I was for coughing without covering my mouth on the train but he didn't seem to listen.

I called my mother telling her that someone is chasing me and finally met my mother with her car. My lip was swollen and bleeding and there was a little pain with some teeth at the right and my arm was scraped.

Looks like the Mott Avenue area isn't a safe neighborhood.

1 hour ago, EphraimB said:

I was on the A train to Far Rockaway and I coughed mid-way through the hour ride but forgot to cover my mouth. Someone sitting two seats away from me told me to cover my mouth so I did. Then two high school kids came on the train and one of them sat in between me and that man and that man told that high school kid that I coughed and didn't cover my mouth and the high school kid got up. I got uncomfortable with the man and switched seats. I coughed again in the different seat and two women moved a little away. Then that man told them something I forgot what and gave me a handful of tissues and told me to cough into them. I did for rest of the times.

The train finally reached Far Rockaway and everyone including me, the man, and the two high school guys got off. I was walking past the man and the two high school kids and the man cursed at me. I walked right past two policemen out of the station expecting my mother who promised to pick me up to be at the station with her car but she wasn't so I called her and she told me that she'll be there in 5 minutes.

I hung up right when the man came out of the station and started chasing me. I ran for two blocks and then fell. The man caught up to me and punched me. I got back up and ran some more but the man caught up to me and just stared at me. I kept on telling the man how sorry I was for coughing without covering my mouth on the train but he didn't seem to listen.

I called my mother telling her that someone is chasing me and finally met my mother with her car. My lip was swollen and bleeding and there was a little pain with some teeth at the right and my arm was scraped.

Looks like the Mott Avenue area isn't a safe neighborhood.

For one thing, I can get why there were passengers who got away from you. As far as I am concerned, that other passenger should have just left you alone because you coughed. The fact that he chased and injured you is not the right thing to do.

What he should have done to care is to just not think of harming you because you don't know any better. It's good that you called your mom and told her about that, but I doubt that Far Rockaway is not safe, despite the stop being far from a precinct.

If anything, the cops over at Mott should have done their job to protect you from a passenger like that since their job is to stop crime from occurring. It doesn't make me happy that this happened to you and I am sorry about that.