SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

I put this in the transit group on Facebook and will put this on here now. Yep so in case if anyone notices why the (F) Train is mostly R160s and the (R) almost entirely R46s is because they're switching assignments around making the R 100% R46s by the weekend according to a reliable source due to the R160s causing vibrations south of 59th Street in Brooklyn making it a safety issue. Just wanted to give a heads up

Good. The (R) doesn't need 60 footers anyway, given that it's a part-time line and not relatively well used.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put this in the transit group on Facebook and will put this on here now. Yep so in case if anyone notices why the (F) Train is mostly R160s and the (R) almost entirely R46s is because they're switching assignments around making the R 100% R46s by the weekend according to a reliable source due to the R160s causing vibrations south of 59th Street in Brooklyn making it a safety issue. Just wanted to give a heads up

A little confused...How would the R160s cause vibrations and not the R46s...Aren't those cars heavier...

Not doubting your source, but where was all this structural damage when the R ran nothing but 160s on the southern half for almost a year?

Not doubting your source, but where was all this structural damage when the R ran nothing but 160s on the southern half for almost a year?

I believe the structural problems they are having is south of 77St.

Don't forget the R211s that will 99% be the same dimensions as the R160s that will replace the R46s in a few years.

LOL! That R212 Discussion is literally dead. I have no idea somebody made it that early anyway.

Now how they are calling it all different names but almost identical, I have no idea.

The R160s being on the (R) is like a see-saw

1)Theres 10 sets when the old (M) showed up

2) then after service cuts, its seen 2-4 sets on the rush hour

3) Montague Closure: All R160s on the Court St portion and 1/2 on the Whitehall St to Forest Hills side

4) Back to all R46s but some 160s are sent as R46s are on the (F) 

There was a fight on my (1) train earlier this evening, led to the T/O blowing the horn for police assistance. When that didn't work, the station agent at 137th began announcing "Police Police, Altercation on the train at 137th St City College police assistance needed, Police Police." Eventually the culprits seemed to get off the train so the C/R slammed the doors shut and we left.

Also to add on, Kawasaki is not making the R179s while the R143s are made by Kawasaki. Both the R142As and R188 were made by Kawasaki and since they are from the same company, it would be easier to convert them.

It also was a large requirement for engineering resources, which Bombardier does not have.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

Also to add on, Kawasaki is not making the R179s while the R143s are made by Kawasaki. Both the R142As and R188 were made by Kawasaki and since they are from the same company, it would be easier to convert them.

It also was a large requirement for engineering resources, which Bombardier does not have.

Oh, well the reason I asked was because I wanted to see if that R143 set that overshot the bumper could be upgraded to a R179 and given to the (C), but as you said that wouldn't work.

By the way, how come I only see 2 cars of the R143 set in 207 Street Yard, where are the rest of the other cars?