SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Clark St tunnel planned work strategy is back this weekend (except this time: no (3) service):

If those interested in the R142s at the WTC-Cortlandt station, the (5)  will head to South Ferry and to Eastchester-Dyre Av via 7 Av. The (2) is rerouted via Lexington Av Express. 

---

*For clarification: it's (2) to Eastchster-Dyre Av while the (5) terminates at Wakefield-241 St, just a change in field

Edited by Calvin

3 minutes ago, Calvin said:

The Clark St tunnel planned work strategy is back this weekend (except this time: no (3) service):

If those interested in the R142s at the WTC-Cortlandt station, the (5)  will head to South Ferry and to Eastchester-Dyre Av via 7 Av. The (2) is rerouted via Lexington Av Express. 

Wait huh? I thought it was (2) to South Ferry and (5) to Flatbush?

1 hour ago, S78 via Hylan said:

You’re right. He just means that (2) crews are doing the (5) and (5) crews are doing the (2)

Which means that we'll have more (5) crews working at the cost of fewer (2) crews (the frequencies tied to the designations aren't changing), so any "benefit" is minimal, at best.

Edited by Lex

1 hour ago, S78 via Hylan said:

You’re right. He just means that (2) crews are doing the (5) and (5) crews are doing the (2)

Also, for clarification, are they no longer have (2) trains run local south of 34th Street-Penn Station to/from South Ferry, which is what they do when the tunnel is closed for construction?

15 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Also, for clarification, are they no longer have (2) trains run local south of 34th Street-Penn Station to/from South Ferry, which is what they do when the tunnel is closed for construction?

Checking the service changes, it'll switch tracks at Chambers Street. The 7 Av Express portion is still there since there's no (3) train terminating 14 St. 

Edited by Calvin

19 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Ok what's this I hear someone is being a stupid JABRONI and pulling emergency cords?!

I should read back before I post, but I believe it's this.

A similar post is on my LinkedIn and Minds pages. Only in New York can such a sadist exist. But if anyone has other stories of this happening elsewhere in the country, I'd love to hear about it.

I signed up and answered the questions for a NY1 Town hall titled The State of Mass Transit: A Live Town Hall. I hope many of you guys sign up as well. We need intelligent people who know the system to attend!

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/transit/2019/05/08/the-state-of-mass-transit--a-live-town-hall

Here's a new B div deinterlining plan: (note that new switches would be built between 50th upper and the express tracks)

(A) 168th-Lefferts/Rockaways via CPW local, 8th express and Fulton express. Local late nights.

(C) BPB-Euclid via Concourse local, CPW local, 8th express and Fulton local. Weekends to 145th; late nights no service. 

(E) 179th-WTC via Hillside/QBL local, 53rd, and 8th local at all times.

(B) Norwood (or BPB) - Brighton Beach via Concourse express (rush hours), CPW express, 6th express and Brighton express. Weekends/late nights via local in Bronx.

(D) 207th-CI via CPW express, 6th express and so on. Express on CPW all times.

(F) 179th-CI via QBL express, 63rd, 6th local and Culver express. Weekends local in Queens; late nights via on Culver and QBL local.

(V) JC-Church via QBL express, 63rd, 6th local and Culver local. Same service pattern at all times. 

(G) extended to 18th using center track (new switches added).

(N) rerouted up 2nd; skips 49th.

(Q) unchanged.

(R) Astoria-Bay Ridge.

(W) eliminated.

(L) unchanged.

(J) runs on "local" tracks between Essex and Chambers.

(brownM) Metropolitan-Bay Ridge. 

(Z) same as (J) .

Is there something that can be done about terminal space on Concourse? BPB is a lousy place to turn trains but it's not like you can fit more at Norwood.

6 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Here's a new B div deinterlining plan: (note that new switches would be built between 50th upper and the express tracks)

(A) 168th-Lefferts/Rockaways via CPW local, 8th express and Fulton express. Local late nights.

(C) BPB-Euclid via Concourse local, CPW local, 8th express and Fulton local. Weekends to 145th; late nights no service. 

(E) 179th-WTC via Hillside/QBL local, 53rd, and 8th local at all times.

(B) Norwood (or BPB) - Brighton Beach via Concourse express (rush hours), CPW express, 6th express and Brighton express. Weekends/late nights via local in Bronx.

(D) 207th-CI via CPW express, 6th express and so on. Express on CPW all times.

(F) 179th-CI via QBL express, 63rd, 6th local and Culver express. Weekends local in Queens; late nights via on Culver and QBL local.

(V) JC-Church via QBL express, 63rd, 6th local and Culver local. Same service pattern at all times. 

(G) extended to 18th using center track (new switches added).

(N) rerouted up 2nd; skips 49th.

(Q) unchanged.

(R) Astoria-Bay Ridge.

(W) eliminated.

(L) unchanged.

(J) runs on "local" tracks between Essex and Chambers.

(brownM) Metropolitan-Bay Ridge. 

(Z) same as (J) .

Is there something that can be done about terminal space on Concourse? BPB is a lousy place to turn trains but it's not like you can fit more at Norwood.

The (F) is going express from Jay St all the way to Neptune av or just between jay and church ?

8 minutes ago, Maxwell179 said:

The (F) is going express from Jay St all the way to Neptune av or just between jay and church ?

Jay to Church. You could add a stop at Bergen (with an underpass too so SB (G) riders can catch the (V) ), but considering that the line would already have good Manhattan-bound service (16tph would be my goal) adding an express stop may be unnecessary and may also slow down lower Culver commutes.

Edited by R68OnBroadway
grammar error

9 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Jay to Church. You could add a stop at Bergen (with an underpass too so SB (G) riders can catch the (V) ), but considering that the line would already have good Manhattan-bound service (16tph would be my goal) adding an express stop may be unnecessary and may also slow down lower Culver commutes.

Ahh okay 

From the idiots who brought you the (R) Train, introducing the skip-stop <5> train :D

Came back from church (86th) on the train. It skipped Hoyt, Eastern Parkway Museum, President (because of repairs), Sterling, Winthrop (because of repairs). I believe we skipped the others because there was ANOTHER (5) behind us. Made for a very fast trip back to Flatbush :D

One of the statements that constantly get repeated around here is the idea that "The old (brownM) was empty" (and/or useless or whatever description you choose).

So since I found an old (brownM) schedule of mine this afternoon, I decided to look up the (J)(Z) schedule from the same time period in the Wayback machine, and I found that might have been partially by design.

I'll explain:

The (J)(brownM) and (Z) all ran every ten minutes or 6 TPH each, coming out to a combined 18 TPH during the morning and evening peaks (8 to 9 AM and 5 to 6 PM). Now obviously that doesn't divide evenly. 60/18= 3 and a third. So how do you insert that third service in between the (J) or (Z) coming every five minutes?

Looking at the (brownM) schedule, downtown trains arrived at Essex Street on the 3's (so that's 8:13, 8:23, 8:33, etc). (J) trains arrived on the 7's (8:17, 8:27, 8:37, etc) and (Z) trains arrived on the 2's (8:12, 8:22, 8:32, etc)

Going back uptown in the evening, (J) trains left Broad Street on the 0's (5:00, 5:10, 5:20, etc) and (Z) trains left on the 5's (5:05, 5:15, 5:25, etc) and (brownM) trains arrived at Broad Street on the 6's (5:06, 5:16, 5:26, etc).

Now what looks off there?  That's right. The (brownM) was always scheduled to be only one minute behind a (Z) !

This means in a ten minute period you had headways of 5, 1 and 4 minutes. No wonder the (brownM) was so "empty", the (Z) directly in front was taking on 5 minutes worth of passengers and the (brownM) was directly behind it, not picking up much and then the (J) would be 4 minutes behind that (brownM)

I'd also imagine that would kill reliability on the (brownM) to be scheduled directly behind a (Z) train especially going Downtown when it would be fumigating at Broad Street.

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

One of the statements that constantly get repeated around here is the idea that "The old (brownM) was empty" (and/or useless or whatever description you choose).

So since I found an old (brownM) schedule of mine this afternoon, I decided to look up the (J)(Z) schedule from the same time period in the Wayback machine, and I found that might have been partially by design.

I'll explain:

The (J)(brownM) and (Z) all ran every ten minutes or 6 TPH each, coming out to a combined 18 TPH during the morning and evening peaks (8 to 9 AM and 5 to 6 PM). Now obviously that doesn't divide evenly. 60/18= 3 and a third. So how do you insert that third service in between the (J) or (Z) coming every five minutes?

Looking at the (brownM) schedule, downtown trains arrived at Essex Street on the 3's (so that's 8:13, 8:23, 8:33, etc). (J) trains arrived on the 7's (8:17, 8:27, 8:37, etc) and (Z) trains arrived on the 2's (8:12, 8:22, 8:32, etc)

Going back uptown in the evening, (J) trains left Broad Street on the 0's (5:00, 5:10, 5:20, etc) and (Z) trains left on the 5's (5:05, 5:15, 5:25, etc) and (brownM) trains arrived at Broad Street on the 6's (5:06, 5:16, 5:26, etc).

Now what looks off there?  That's right. The (brownM) was always scheduled to be only one minute behind a (Z) !

This means in a ten minute period you had headways of 5, 1 and 4 minutes. No wonder the (brownM) was so "empty", the (Z) directly in front was taking on 5 minutes worth of passengers and the (brownM) was directly behind it, not picking up much and then the (J) would be 4 minutes behind that (brownM)

I'd also imagine that would kill reliability on the (brownM) to be scheduled directly behind a (Z) train especially going Downtown when it would be fumigating at Broad Street.

It's worth noting here that the big scheduling stick point on the Myrtle/Jamaica lines is Myrtle Junction; if I had to guess, those weird headways worked out to (theoretically) conflict free junction operation on that end...that said, given the number of people who (even to this day) jump ahead on the (J) from Essex, having the (brownM) take a little delay at Myrtle may not be the worst thing. 

The other big issues w/ (brownM) were service hours, frequency and route. After the bridge reopened, the (brownM) was a rush-only affair (and only 7:00-9:45 AM + 3:30-7:00 PM at Broad at that), meaning that the subway's increasingly off-peak centric rider demographic could not use it, or could not rely on it to get them to work during rush hour and then get them back after some business dinner. The (brownM) moreover only hit the low(er) ridership portion of the 4th local corridor and had to merge with the (D) or (R) on top of all the Lower Manhattan shenanigans, which introduced even more unattractiveness into its profile. Add to that the fact that the (brownM) ran 10 min headways through that entire span, and there was frankly little reason to rely on it rather than planning around (D) or (R) to (4)(5).

To be clear, I don't think that the (brownM) is a service pattern that's worth resuscitating outside of some really radical deinterlining plan, but I do think that in conversations about a Nassau-Bay Ridge service, these are points worth keeping in mind. 

46 minutes ago, RR503 said:

To be clear, I don't think that the (brownM) is a service pattern that's worth resuscitating outside of some really radical deinterlining plan, but I do think that in conversations about a Nassau-Bay Ridge service, these are points worth keeping in mind. 

It is a good point to remember (and your points about service hours is also well noted).

It's funny because when I was working on the Nassau (R) as part of that deinterlining exercise for the proposals thread a few months ago, I was thinking that I'd have to insert a buffer of at least two minutes between an (R) and a (J) or (Z) for it to work right, because I thought there was no way that they'd schedule trains one minute apart like that, and lo and behold, they actually did.