SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/3/2019 at 8:14 PM, R68OnBroadway said:

Seems ridiculous for the complex to be considered ADA accessible...

20 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

...but it still seems odd to me to call the complex fully ADA when a major connection isn’t.

The MTA has never considered the entire complex to be ADA-accessible. They clearly note this exception in the list of accessible stations on their website   , signage on the passageway itself already states such, and they are working on making the shuttle accessible.

If you are referring to the subway map, take note that the IND station is listed separately from the IRT and BMT stations; it is technically correct that both stations have the accessibility symbol next to it as it only applies to the stations with said names and the lines that serve it. While it is understandable that such labeling might lead straphangers to believe that the passageway is accessible, the fact is that the wheelchair symbol may not necessarily apply to transfer corridors between certain lines. This is a limitation that arises with the current labeling and also by the lack of real estate on the map to list such nuances; Midtown is cluttered as is, and you can't really cram "Passageway not accessible" into the map while making it big enough to be legible.

16 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

The ADA not only limits slope, it limits length, because you don't want a wheelchair picking up speed and crashing into the wall.

Short of some crazy switchbacking that takes up a lot of room (like the 8th Av platforms) there is no way in hell it'll ever be accessible.

It can still be accessible, and it does not require the space of a switchback ramp. Instead, a portion of the wide passageway can be set aside for ADA-compliance by constructing a series of ramps and landings along the entire corridor (see the Utica Avenue station for an actual example). While ADA does limit ramp slope and length, it does not limit the number of ramps one can use; this is despite It noting that multiple runs with landings can make the overall ramp difficult for the disabled.

2 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Was extending the (S) to Rockaway Blvd full time ever considered?

That’s probably not a good idea. Rockaway Blvd is not equipped to be a terminal full time, the shuttle service would have to be scheduled around the MUCH busier Lefferts and Rockaway (A), and the merger/split between those 2 branches would become convoluted with another service involved. The shuttle should remain as it is.

36 minutes ago, Cabanamaner said:

That’s probably not a good idea. Rockaway Blvd is not equipped to be a terminal full time, the shuttle service would have to be scheduled around the MUCH busier Lefferts and Rockaway (A), and the merger/split between those 2 branches would become convoluted with another service involved. The shuttle should remain as it is.

The shuttle is not very frequent already so its effects would most likely be minimal. 

My opinion is that at least something should be done with the shuttle as an extension of it would give transferring riders more frequent service to the Rockaway branch as well as make Rockaway Park commuters have slightly less abysmal commutes.

10 hours ago, Calvin said:

Cuomo R160s are being deep-cleaned at Coney Island and in-service on the Jamaica lines (E)(F) . Seen a cuomo and regular R160 as one today both cleaned. 

Some of the wraps are being taken off. 

20 minutes ago, NST said:

What’s the reason for not extending the (W) into Brooklyn to supplement (R) service?

Not enough cars and demand supposedly. That was from when they were initially discussed it before the Second Avenue Subway.

1 hour ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

I was talking with one of my friends about a proposal that he made (Which I’ll share in the proposals thread some time soon). He asked me why the (V) was an unsuccessful line. I personally know the answer, but I’d like to know what y’all think. 

It was not well loved by passengers, since it replaced an express service (the (F)) via 53rd Street, and merely duplicated said line from 71st Avenue to end of line at Second Avenue. Also did not go into Brooklyn. The replacement line, the (M) has more passengers on it than the (V) once did.

Okay. This thread went off topic. So to bring it back on topic: 

I caught the (R) going up to 96th Street a few days ago with a friend of mine. The both of us took it up to 72nd from Lexington 63rd. When it came back, we were expecting the rollsigns to be set to (Q). Sadly, they weren’t. At least the LCD signs were set to (Q) 

29 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

I caught the (R) going up to 96th Street a few days ago with a friend of mine. The both of us took it up to 72nd from Lexington 63rd. When it came back, we were expecting the rollsigns to be set to (Q). Sadly, they weren’t. At least the LCD signs were set to (Q) 

I'll catch that R46 (Q) once or twice a week going downtown from lex/63rd, I have yet to see the rollsign/LCD to not say (Q)

5 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

I’ve seen the rear roll sign set on (R) a couple times after getting off at Canal. The southbound crew probably just didn’t have enough time to set it to (Q) or even <Q> .

4 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

I'll catch that R46 (Q) once or twice a week going downtown from lex/63rd, I have yet to see the rollsign/LCD to not say (Q)

I’ve seen the LCDs read just “Q | Brighton Local” with cycling through Broadway Local. Not very often though, and not recently, so I guess the crews on that train are familiar with the codes for the Broadway (Q) (because they probably still have the 6th Avenue (orangeQ) codes in there too).

Haven't had to do a multi-page purge in a while. Yay me.

While the average member age leans younger, a certain degree of maturity is expected from everyone here on this forum. If that cannot be done, posting privileges can and will be restricted without warning. Civil discourse is very much welcome here; immature name-calling and other related nonsense is not tolerated.

While on-board the (F) to Stillwell Av from Jay St, departing Carroll St, the auto-anouncement quoted: "Attention everyone, this train is now going express" (this was due to a g/o). Probably, this could be used IMO when the (F) leaves 75th Av saying its a Local train now an Express train Coney Island bound. 

Edited by Calvin

I have a story to share about something I’ve observed for a year now. There is a door on the Queens-bound platform at Rockaway Avenue (C) that has been ROUTINELY vandalized on a daily basis. The culprit always advertises wanting to perform a sexual act on someone, followed by leaving their number at the bottom. It gets wiped each morning, only to reappear again that very night without fail. It’s gotten so bad that the MTA gave that door a fresh coat of paint, only for the message to reappear like a pimple on prom night. I don’t know whether to be creeped out or impressed at the dedication.

3 minutes ago, Cabanamaner said:

I have a story to share about something I’ve observed for a year now. There is a door on the Queens-bound platform at Rockaway Avenue (C) that has been ROUTINELY vandalized on a daily basis. The culprit always advertises wanting to perform a sexual act on someone, followed by leaving their number at the bottom. It gets wiped each morning, only to reappear again that very night without fail. It’s gotten so bad that the MTA gave that door a fresh coat of paint, only for the message to reappear like a pimple on prom night. I don’t know whether to be creeped out or impressed at the dedication.

Certainly odd to say the least. Reminds me of how subway cars were vandalized with graffiti on a daily basis back in the 80's. 

1 hour ago, Cabanamaner said:

1 hour ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Certainly odd to say the least. Reminds me of how subway cars were vandalized with graffiti on a daily basis back in the 80's. 

Galaxy brain solution: Get rid of the door

hqdefault.jpg

17 hours ago, Cabanamaner said:

I've seen something very similar at one of the entrances at Jay Street before. It was taken down (though no repeats occurred).

On 6/9/2019 at 7:03 PM, Lance said:

Haven't had to do a multi-page purge in a while. Yay me.

While the average member age leans younger, a certain degree of maturity is expected from everyone here on this forum. If that cannot be done, posting privileges can and will be restricted without warning. Civil discourse is very much welcome here; immature name-calling and other related nonsense is not tolerated.

I am off the forums for three days because of Shabbat and the holiday of Shavuot and look what happens. /s