SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Why did the MTA decide to make the weekend (M) terminate at 96 St with the (Q) when it can run its weekday extension to 71 Av with the (R)?

Since there is no weekend (G) to 71 Av, and the (E)(F) is running express during the day, I am pretty sure the (R) needs weekend help. 

What are your thoughts on this? 

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/6/2019 at 7:40 PM, CenSin said:

MTA sensibilities: 3 (D) trains pass through DeKalb Avenue, but only 1 (N). At 36 Street, supervision sends that last (D) ahead of the (N). Now we’re waiting to enter Bay 50 Street because there are 3 (D) trains up ahead. And there’s also another (N) behind us.

It doesn’t matter for inbound trains, but I can see this causing a shortage of (N) trains at Coney Island. They will have no trains to send out as the (D) trains clog up the tracks to the terminal.

What is your theory as to why there was a shortage of (N)?

1 hour ago, Subway fanatic said:

Why did the MTA decide to make the weekend (M) terminate at 96 St with the (Q) when it can run its weekday extension to 71 Av with the (R)?

Since there is no weekend (G) to 71 Av, and the (E)(F) is running express during the day, I am pretty sure the (R) needs weekend help. 

What are your thoughts on this? 

QBL is affected by a lot of G.Os which force the (E)(F)(R) to run every 12 minutes, which is ridiculous. Adding the (M) in would make it so that each train runs every 16 minutes, a great way to tank ridership. If the (MTA) knew how to properly manage lines when they have G.Os, they would send the (R) to Queensboro Plaza and have the (E)(F) run local in one direction and express in the other to have 8 min headways. I’d still be against sending the (M) up QBL when there aren’t G.Os since riders would be confused at having the (M) during regular service but not having it during weekends with work.

1 minute ago, Lawrence St said:

Really? Even though it uses Railroad type signals?

Since 1988, when freight was eliminated on the St. George Branch. And, by the way, they aren't your typical signals. The SIR is one of the few places with B&O Color-Position Light signals.

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Apparently MTA is starting to heavily enforce the dog policy.

Ironically, I saw two dogs in the subway car yesterday rush hour. I think it depends on the T/Os and conductors, so of them really dont give a shit just like some ppl get on the bus and tell the bus operators that they have no money, some B/Os would just let them take the ride and some would ask them to get off. 

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Apparently MTA is starting to heavily enforce the dog policy.

It's about damn time...

These people endanger their own pets when they have them in subway and not in a container and then blame the MTA when god forbid something bad happens to their pet. It's ridiculous.

The (7) train towards Manhattan is terrible this weekend. On the express section we're doing 10 mph the entire way. I suggest not taking the subway this weekend if you relay on the (7).

Edited by Lil 57

On 7/13/2019 at 3:28 PM, Lil 57 said:

The (7) train towards Manhattan is terrible this weekend. On the express section we're doing 10 mph the entire way. I suggest not taking the subway this weekend if you relay on the (7).

That’s honestly part of the reason why living in Queens at times can suck. On the weekends your travel time can easily get doubled with these G.O’s that suspend service or make service slow. Then you add a bus ride before and or after that and that’s more time. Bus service is not necessarily the most reliable either. 

3 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

That’s honestly part of the reason why living in Queens at times can suck. On the weekends your travel time can easily get doubled with these G.O’s that suspend service or make service slow. Then you add a bus ride before and or after that and that’s more time. Bus service is not necessarily the most reliable either. 

Chinatown vans or bust, really. (Yes, taking the Chinatown van to a subway in Manhattan is usually faster on weekends. Certainly more reliable.

9 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Chinatown vans or bust, really. (Yes, taking the Chinatown van to a subway in Manhattan is usually faster on weekends. Certainly more reliable.

Between the private vans and the uber, people are just not putting up with the slow and outdated bus service. 
I know this is the subway thread but when you look at a route like the M101 for example it has a few problems plaguing it which makes it unattractive. 
First of all it is long route with a run time that easily surpasses 2hrs. The longer a route is the more unreliable it tends to be, and second Lexington Ave has bus lanes, but they were never enforced properly, which means buses have to ride in car lanes. What irks me is that it took all these years for the MTA to finally figure out that perhaps, the Lexington Ave buses should take more advantage of its bus lane, so now they will be painting the bus lane and make a few changes to road as well. What I always say is that the MTA is not here to provide the best service. They are here to deliver enough service that allows them to pass in the public eye. So in other words the only way they fix something is if there are tons of complaints. This is bad because the MTA should always be looking for ways to improve their service, because they want people to ride the buses and trains because that helps them make more money. 

Something funny came up on the intercom overnight from a Grand Concourse conductor, when he was getting close to Kingsbridge Road on the (D) train, and before I got on the 16 to my place. This is what he said from the intercom that made me laugh out loud:

"If for any reason you're dissatisfied with this (D) train, the countdown clock indicates that another one is going to come in the next five minutes."

Let me tell you this: I haven't heard this one before from like any conductor.

15 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

Something funny came up on the intercom overnight from a Grand Concourse conductor, when he was getting close to Kingsbridge Road on the (D) train, and before I got on the 16 to my place. This is what he said from the intercom that made me laugh out loud:

"If for any reason you're dissatisfied with this (D) train, the countdown clock indicates that another one is going to come in the next five minutes."

Let me tell you this: I haven't heard this one before from like any conductor.

WOW!

Edited by BreeddekalbL