SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, EphraimB said:

I need to commute from far Rockaway to Brooklyn by train to get to my psychiatrist appointment. The problem is that it will thunderstorm today. The commute includes a 20 minute walk to the train station. What do I do?

Bring a raincoat and check weather radar to try to return from the station at a time at which it isn’t raining as hard/at all.

Edited by W4ST

On 7/16/2019 at 7:30 PM, Lawrence St said:

@Union Tpke https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_(New_York_City_Subway_service)

The heading in this article dosen't make sense, because the (M) couldn't have replaced the whole (V) in it's entirety because it dosen't serve 2nd Av.

Honestly, you’re just nitpicking. So what if the (M) does not serve 2nd Avenue? It is still generally a replacement of the (V). You could have just simply edited saying “except for 2nd Avenue” and call it a day, instead of “mostly replaced”.

Big whoop.

Edited by Jemorie

5 hours ago, whz1995 said:

yeah, I went to City Hall last week and saw a MTA worker was using a thermometer to measure and record the car temperate of the 6 trains. 

They need to reef those trains already. 2/3 of my trips today on the 6 I had to switch operating positions because of hot cars. It’s ridiculous. 

I feel sorry for 1 line crews this upcoming Saturday, it’s going to be torture. 

41 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

They need to reef those trains already. 2/3 of my trips today on the 6 I had to switch operating positions because of hot cars. It’s ridiculous. 

I feel sorry for 1 line crews this upcoming Saturday, it’s going to be torture. 

Hopefully the MTA has fixed the issue with R62A’s having dead A/C units. Honestly I think it’s more of a Westchester Yard issue because the R62A’s are also on the (1) and I don’t recall there being tons of cars on that line with those issues. Just look at how Westchester massacred those R142A’s and then when they transferred onto the (7) as R188’s Corona fixed them up so well. They sound much better than they did a few years ago. 

It makes me wonder if the R32s are holding up well. I’ve rode a few on the (C) and they have been alright, but I know they usually like the throw they on the (A) and (J) lines since they are outdoors.

Edited by NewFlyer 230

4 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Hopefully the MTA has fixed the issue with R62A’s having dead A/C units. Honestly I think it’s more of a Westchester Yard issue because the R62A’s are also on the (1) and I don’t recall there being tons of cars on that line with those issues. Just look at how Westchester massacred those R142A’s and then when they transferred onto the (7) as R188’s Corona fixed them up so well. They sound much better than they did a few years ago. 

It makes me wonder if the R32s are holding up well. I’ve rode a few on the (C) and they have been alright, but I know they usually like the throw they on the (A) and (J) lines since they are outdoors.

I came across a lot of hot cars on the (1) in years past. It's not Westchester fault the 62A A/C units suck, when they had 142As I never came across an hot car on that fleet. 

It's a design flaw on the 62A where they only have one compressor per car for the A/C unit so that one compressor overheats = hot car.

I though three times before posting this here:

Here’s an NYC Subway map that lists all bottlenecks throughout the System. Some bottlenecks include sharp curves, Poor Terminal Operations, or Service’s using interlocking’s at Grade Level. Let me know what you all think of it:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zW5OcTK4Zkc1_vlH-8LQ73k6UdrhA8hV&usp=sharing

5 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

I though three times before posting this here:

Here’s an NYC Subway map that lists all bottlenecks throughout the System. Some bottlenecks include sharp curves, Poor Terminal Operations, or Service’s using interlocking’s at Grade Level. Let me know what you all think of it:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zW5OcTK4Zkc1_vlH-8LQ73k6UdrhA8hV&usp=sharing

It’s a great map. I do see that there are some big bottlenecks on the 60th Street Tunnel, so going by that map, I’m going to guess that making the 60th Street Tunnel connection to the Queens Blvd Line has now become a mistake that never should’ve happened.

48 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I came across a lot of hot cars on the (1) in years past. It's not Westchester fault the 62A A/C units suck, when they had 142As I never came across an hot car on that fleet. 

It's a design flaw on the 62A where they only have one compressor per car for the A/C unit so that one compressor overheats = hot car.

Isn't it because the vents sometimes get stuck with debris?

53 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Isn't it because the vents sometimes get stuck with debris?

I think its because they spend long periods of time underground and its hotter in the tunnels than it is outside, when the (7) had 62A's this wasn't a problem and that was most likely due to the route being mostly outdoors. Also the 62A's being on local routes doesn't help. 

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

R32s were doing well last summer that there was only one time the A/C was off or dead. But they were not perfect because the damn A/C kept dropping water, the issue still persisted on a R32 (C)  I rode today.

2 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

It’s a great map. I do see that there are some big bottlenecks on the 60th Street Tunnel, so going by that map, I’m going to guess that making the 60th Street Tunnel connection to the Queens Blvd Line has now become a mistake that never should’ve happened.

Thanks. I rated each bottleneck by how impactful each one is.  Green stands for minor bottlenecks, while red is vice versa. Yellow is sorta in the middle. 

26 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

Regarding 11 St cut, the (N) and (W) is pretty fast coming and leaving the tunnel, but the (R) almost slow to a stop all the way to Queens Plaza.

is there a way to increase the speed there safely to say 15 mph?

They could probably get the speed somewhat higher by getting rid of the 75-footers (space hogs...), but the sharper curves over there really make it difficult to increase speeds, especially on the Queens Boulevard end...

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/190722_1000_Transit.pdf

Even though they quadrupled the size of the notes for the last NYCT committee meeting, they couldn't bother to state what the few people at the meeting (including myself) had to say.

48324749402_27a6075e79_z.jpgScreen Shot 2019-07-19 at 3.37.05 PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr