SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, paulrivera said:

It was shaped like a R211... then again a PA5 has a similar shape.

idk, it was a single car that I saw too... and it was on Central Avenue, a bit of a ways out from the plant... I'm just as lost as you guys are.

It's most likely a PA-5 since most of their cars are going trough a rebuild and they have a option order that they're building.

But there seems to be a lot of speculation about the R211's, don't cars that are built in Nebraska come to Yonkers for the finishing touches or will the first set come already pre-made?

What are some stations that see some of the longest Dwell Times? The only ones I can think of are the following:

Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Avenue (E)(F)(M)(R) Platforms

74th Street-Broadway (7) Train Platforms

Queensboro Plaza (N)(W)(7)<7>

Grand Central-42nd Street (4)(5)(6) Platforms

Grand Central (7) Platform

How can I expand this list?

54 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

What are some stations that see some of the longest Dwell Times? The only ones I can think of are the following:

Most stations with Overcrowding, probably have higher dwell times. Broadway Junction (J)(Z) platforms, Times Square - 42 St (1)(2)(3), Times Square (7), Myrtle (J)(M)(Z) (Also Central/Kosciuszko), I could say DeKalb, but all the issues happen on the bridge, and not prior to it (though (B)(Q) dwell times are bad also). Fulton St in general, but specifically the (4)(5). 59th St (B)(D), 50th St (C)(E). PABT (A)(C)(E). Some of them due to track crossings to. If you want actual data, look at the times they go into the station, and out of the station along the route. i.e. the (J)(Z) stretch of Myrtle to Broadway Junction.

13 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

It's most likely a PA-5 since most of their cars are going trough a rebuild and they have a option order that they're building.

But there seems to be a lot of speculation about the R211's, don't cars that are built in Nebraska come to Yonkers for the finishing touches or will the first set come already pre-made?

I get the feeling it’s a PA5 as well. Port Authority does have plans to refurbish the existing, and to acquire additional PA5 cars. 

On 10/2/2020 at 4:25 AM, Lawrence St said:

Idk, Usually when they send those PA-5's to get refurbished, they're almost always unwrapped. Maybe they're trying to keep the 211's from being unveiled for reasons. 

On 10/2/2020 at 4:58 PM, Theli11 said:

Most stations with Overcrowding, probably have higher dwell times. Broadway Junction (J)(Z) platforms, Times Square - 42 St (1)(2)(3), Times Square (7), Myrtle (J)(M)(Z) (Also Central/Kosciuszko), I could say DeKalb, but all the issues happen on the bridge, and not prior to it (though (B)(Q) dwell times are bad also). Fulton St in general, but specifically the (4)(5). 59th St (B)(D), 50th St (C)(E). PABT (A)(C)(E). Some of them due to track crossings to. If you want actual data, look at the times they go into the station, and out of the station along the route. i.e. the (J)(Z) stretch of Myrtle to Broadway Junction.

Lexington Av-59 St on the (N)(W)(R) platform is super crowded (before COVID) during rush hours. Sometimes to the point that the trains in the afternoon would back up to 5 Av-59 St or even 57 St-7 Av

On 10/2/2020 at 4:01 PM, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

How can I expand this list?

From what I remember 14th Street- Union Square on the (L) towards Brooklyn tends to be the station where (L) trains get crush loaded. Trains would take a bit longer to leave because there was always someone holding the doors open.  

Also Lexington Ave- 53rd street on the (E) and (M) during rush hours can be rough. The (M) would be fine, it would be the (E) that would always be held up because you’d have tons of people running to catch it like there wasn’t another (E) right behind the one in the station. 

4 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

From what I remember 14th Street- Union Square on the (L) towards Brooklyn tends to be the station where (L) trains get crush loaded. Trains would take a bit longer to leave because there was always someone holding the doors open.  

Also Lexington Ave- 53rd street on the (E) and (M) during rush hours can be rough. The (M) would be fine, it would be the (E) that would always be held up because you’d have tons of people running to catch it like there wasn’t another (E) right behind the one in the station. 

I'll add on to this list: Myrtle/DeKalb Avenues (L), but specifically during Rush Hours when some (L) trains terminate at Myrtle, and they're closer together in Rush Hours. Dang, how did I miss out on the (L) train when I take the entire route to school... Been a while. Though from 8 Av to Rockaway Parkway it's only ~37 minutes. 
Actually, add the entire (4)(5) route from 149 - Franklin Av bar 138 - Grand Concourse, 86 St, Nevins, and Borough Hall. 

Edited by Theli11

What exactly are S/As duties at this point?

I already knew they stopped handling any money, but when I asked an S/A to transfer my metrocard balance to a new card because the old one was wearing out and giving me error messsages, she said "we aren't allowed to do that anymore, you have to mail it in"...and she didn't even have an envelope to give me!

Besides handing out masks and giving directions, what else do they do anymore?? I hate to say that a title is outdated, but this particular title seems to have outlived its usefulness, especially with OMNY.

7 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I already knew they stopped handling any money, but when I asked an S/A to transfer my metrocard balance to a new card because the old one was wearing out and giving me error messsages, she said "we aren't allowed to do that anymore, you have to mail it in"...and she didn't even have an envelope to give me!

Besides handing out masks and giving directions, what else do they do anymore?? I hate to say that a title is outdated, but this particular title seems to have outlived its usefulness, especially with OMNY.

Just a guess but, depending on where you live in the Northeast or Mid Atlantic states many clerks, cashiers will not touch cash or credit cards. Noticed this in some service stations and convenience stores along I-95, I-295, I-495 between NY and Philly. This is probably a directive from higher level folks who don’t interact with the public. Just another inconvenience to endure these days. My take. Carry on.

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I get the point about S/A's, but to the situation that prompted the question, I'm of the belief that they would've told you to mail it in anyway.

Personally, I'd buy a new card (so you can get get around on/commute for the time being) & wait til the expiration date of the card with the problem nears... Don't use the (problem) card until the nearing exp. date.... Then when that exp. date nears, go to an MVM & try to refill it - the MVM will then prompt you if you want to exchange that card for a new one.... As long as you don't use that card & don't have it somewhere where it'll fray, you should be good.... Luckily for me, I'm a trading card collector, so I have a slew of toploaders & "penny sleeves" all over the place (you can google those 2 terms if you want).... Anyway, although I did it once without issue (it was back in the early 00's IIRC), I wouldn't bother with the whole mailing the card in & what not (even if she would've gave you the envelope).....

Shouldn't have to think up workarounds, but such is life....

On 9/29/2020 at 1:14 PM, Kharn501 said:

What's the reason behind not allowing a train to be reversed into the station? I'm no signal expert but wouldn't the trains behind it be shown a yellow/red at the point that the overrun train is already in the station and therefore making the reversal safe with supervision?

Simple, you can't see behind you. For all you know, someone fell onto the track behind the train.

8 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I was talking with a few of them and they seem hellbent on keeping the job as is, which pretty much ensures them being phased out. One of them argued up and down that lots of people use cash. I told them that is totally generational, and the younger populations tend to be cashless, such as millennials like myself and Gen X.

10 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I get the point about S/A's, but to the situation that prompted the question, I'm of the belief that they would've told you to mail it in anyway.

Personally, I'd buy a new card (so you can get get around on/commute for the time being) & wait til the expiration date of the card with the problem nears... Don't use the (problem) card until the nearing exp. date.... Then when that exp. date nears, go to an MVM & try to refill it - the MVM will then prompt you if you want to exchange that card for a new one.... As long as you don't use that card & don't have it somewhere where it'll fray, you should be good.... Luckily for me, I'm a trading card collector, so I have a slew of toploaders & "penny sleeves" all over the place (you can google those 2 terms if you want).... Anyway, although I did it once without issue (it was back in the early 00's IIRC), I wouldn't bother with the whole mailing the card in & what not (even if she would've gave you the envelope).....

Shouldn't have to think up workarounds, but such is life....

In the past, they would transfer the balance onto a new card, no questions asked, so long as the card was not totally destroyed and could be read by their little 1980s computer in the booth lol. The bus fareboxes really take a toll on those cards, which is what one helpful SA explained to me years ago while exchanging a card for me. 

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I was talking with a few of them and they seem hellbent on keeping the job as is, which pretty much ensures them being phased out. One of them argued up and down that lots of people use cash. I told them that is totally generational, and the younger populations tend to be cashless, such as millennials like myself and Gen X.

LOL...if they really think handling cash is so critical (even though the big MVMs handle cash, which means you don't need the SA in the first place, but I'll put that argument aside for a moment), they should be fighting tooth and nail to be allowed to handle cash again. The latest studies indicate covid does not live on surfaces nearly as long as first feared, and as long as they wear gloves and remove them before eating lunch or whatever, it is safe. They can spray the cash with Lysol for all I care lol. Money has always been known to have lots of bacteria and viruses on it anyway. 

@Will-Bx-718 not sure if you are still on here, but would love to hear your thoughts on this topic. 

12 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Just a guess but, depending on where you live in the Northeast or Mid Atlantic states many clerks, cashiers will not touch cash or credit cards. Noticed this in some service stations and convenience stores along I-95, I-295, I-495 between NY and Philly. This is probably a directive from higher level folks who don’t interact with the public. Just another inconvenience to endure these days. My take. Carry on.

Interesting, I haven't encountered that in the 5 boros, even at the height of the pandemic. that's pretty funny, since you are much more likely to catch covid from not wearing masks than touching something, as long as you purell or remove gloves afterwards. I know people who wipe down every inch of their groceries but wear their mask below their chin, which is kind of nuts. 

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Interesting, I haven't encountered that in the 5 boros, even at the height of the pandemic. that's pretty funny, since you are much more likely to catch covid from not wearing masks than touching something, as long as you purell or remove gloves afterwards. I know people who wipe down every inch of their groceries but wear their mask below their chin, which is kind of nuts. 

I’m out here in Suffolk and Roadhouse, Popeyes, and almost every burger joint, taco drive through slides you a tray when you’re ready to pay for your purchases on the drive thru lines. They encourage cards but will accept cash lately although some cashiers aren’t to thrilled to handle the bills and the charge. Roadhouse and Famous Dave’s deal with online transactions for the most part. I’ve got gift cards up the ying yang but I have no intention of having a sit down on premise dinner. My experience. YMMV. Carry on.

1 hour ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I’m out here in Suffolk and Roadhouse, Popeyes, and almost every burger joint, taco drive through slides you a tray when you’re ready to pay for your purchases on the drive thru lines. They encourage cards but will accept cash lately although some cashiers aren’t to thrilled to handle the bills and the charge. Roadhouse and Famous Dave’s deal with online transactions for the most part. I’ve got gift cards up the ying yang but I have no intention of having a sit down on premise dinner. My experience. YMMV. Carry on.

I totally agree about only taking out food. I used to love eating out in a nice restaurant, but I don't know when I'll be comfortable doing that again. take out it is, for the foreseeable future for me. 

14 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I totally agree about only taking out food. I used to love eating out in a nice restaurant, but I don't know when I'll be comfortable doing that again. take out it is, for the foreseeable future for me. 

This take-out thing has been huge. A lot of places that didn't even do takeout/delivery before doing it now too. I've been getting take-out twice a week for months, never used to do that before.