BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

15 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

How long ago was that? I remember 9203 staying in the city (with that ad wrap), but I also remember 9208-9223 at MV (or at least 9211, 9213, 9215-9218, 9221, and 9223 by the end).

Maybe around 2008-2009? When the NGs were coming in.

What you are thinking is after the Queens Division had them, they went back to Manhattan.

Edited by The TransitMan

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, The TransitMan said:

Maybe around 2008-2009? When the MGs were coming in.

What you are thinking is after the Queens Division had them, they went back to Manhattan.

You're right, the consistent Manhattanville 1996 fleet were really the 903x-904x buses. At least by late 2009 the 92xx buses were back at Manhattanville, and then they slowly picked them off for storage/scrap until the Doomsday cuts with the 2010 Summer Pick. Come to think of it, 9215/9217 may have stayed at Jamaica the whole time. It was 9216 and 9218 that MHV had (the last one my handle's namesake, since it was the last regular assignment RTS I rode out of the depot). 9216 and 9221 made the trip to 126th, but the remaining five of seven RTSes all got scrapped.

On 10/14/2020 at 2:01 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Some of the new drivers are simply not cut out to handle the job or don't use common sense, and so they keep getting written up and are eventually fired.  There are definitely some that have to deal with things like unruly passengers, etc., but plenty that have been driving for years and do fine.  There are a number of reasons that drivers are on and off. Some are injured during the every day grind. The streets with all of the potholes, etc. take a toll on your back. You also have to pass yearly physicals, etc. There is a lot behind the scenes as to why some leave, and it's not all due to the public either.

I know some drivers that have left (MTA) Bus and moved over to NYCT.  Some prefer to work closer to where they live, etc. The reasons are substantial.

Of course, we're powerless when it comes to enforcing the fare. We're not even allowed to say anything about it other than stating what the fare is. That's it.

Some will let the stress get to them, other simply won't care and move on as I do... But, I'm not going to make it easy for would-be farebeaters, so I make them all come through the front. This ain't the SBS.

9 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

Of course, we're powerless when it comes to enforcing the fare. We're not even allowed to say anything about it other than stating what the fare is. That's it.

Some will let the stress get to them, other simply won't care and move on as I do... But, I'm not going to make it easy for would-be farebeaters, so I make them all come through the front. This ain't the SBS.

I find it amazing that the (MTA) has not developed a system yet on all bus routes to check for the payment of fare. This is done in so many other countries. The bus driver DRIVES and there are fare inspectors that check for payment of the fare. 

20 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

How long ago was that? I remember 9203 staying in the city (with that ad wrap), but I also remember 9208-9223 at MV (or at least 9211, 9213, 9215-9218, 9221, and 9223 by the end).

20 hours ago, The TransitMan said:

Maybe around 2008-2009? When the NGs were coming in.

9203 from 2010 went from Quill-UP-ENY-FP-ENY-Jamaica.

I’m now getting daily emails about Queens buses operating with gaps because “we are running as many buses as possible with the operators we have”, which sounds like lots of BOs are being quarantined or out sick. Starting to feel like April again, ugg...

It’s also weirdly specific (e.g., delays on the QM6 and 36 but not other CP runs on union tpke like the QM5 or QM1). If they actually know which exp runs won’t get filled that day, it would be great itf they actually put that in the email, especially for routes like the QM6 that may only have hourly service for large chunks of the day. 

Edited by QM1to6Ave

2 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I’m now getting daily emails about Queens buses operating with gaps because “we are running as many buses as possible with the operators we have”, which sounds like lots of BOs are being quarantined or out sick. Starting to feel like April again, ugg...

It’s also weirdly specific (e.g., delays on the QM6 and 36 but not other CP runs on union tpke like the QM5 or QM1). If they actually know which exp runs won’t get filled that day, it would be great itf they actually put that in the email, especially for routes like the QM6 that may only have hourly service for large chunks of the day. 

You are likely getting them because I've been b****ing about the fact that they have missing buses and how they can provide passengers notice. They have started cutting overtime, that's the real problem, and yes, they are short drivers, but when they cut overtime, the trips that would normally be filled by another driver then don't get covered. That is usually how they have been covering a lot of trips for a while actually.

They know which trips are open in advance, so they do have an idea. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 hours ago, Shawn Williams said:

i could see why ENY depot gets a lot of hate now. they get all of the broken down buses

This is the first time I'm hearing of ENY getting hate.. I ride their buses regularly both originals to that depot and buses from elseware and its usually a pleasant ride. 

I don't mind the NGs from GH coming to ENY. IMO the 40 footers at KB and GH are not that bad, it's the artics that feel a little rough around the edges at those BX depots.

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

I wonder what happened to some of the XD-60s recently, saw a few of them few days ago with staples attached. 

Maybe the back panels are becoming loose too often. Those look like locks to keep the panel prob locked in place. Usually, it's not even on all four edges, it's one or two but maybe they've become fed up with having to take buses out of service for that reason too often.

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Those buses look like crap. Likely from Kingsbridge Depot. 

The one in the photo was a Gun Hill unit although it was in Brooklyn for more than a year. But you are right, almost all of the Xcelsiors got beat up from both Bronx depots before moving to Brooklyn and Queens.

40 minutes ago, Ultimategamer12c said:

Off topic, but Eny 2nd gens haven't been tracking since yesterday I've check every unit that they have left and none have been tracking only Fresh Pond & JFK has there's tracking, I don't wanna say that it's an end of an era for them but it looks to be it.

All of ENY's 6500s and 6600s have been retired.

41 minutes ago, Ultimategamer12c said:

Off topic, but Eny 2nd gens haven't been tracking since yesterday I've check every unit that they have left and none have been tracking only Fresh Pond & JFK has there's tracking, I don't wanna say that it's an end of an era for them but it looks to be it.

It looks that way with JFK as well. Only 6544 and 6600 are tracking.