BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/27/2023 at 2:35 PM, ABOGbrooklyn said:

Just came to rant and say the B82 is so much more worse than the B6 in reliability. 

Have to agree with this.... In general, I don't wait nearly as long for a B6 than I do for a B82.

On 5/31/2023 at 4:45 AM, Mtatransit said:

I much rather they increase the amount of service versus a higher capacity transit.

Remember when they increased service from 40ft to artics, MTA usually cut the amount of service on that route to compensate for the increased capacity

Their buzzword being "Cost Neutrality" <_<

On 5/31/2023 at 8:52 PM, NewFlyer 230 said:

I remember when the MTA made the Q10 an artic line the buses per hour decreased significantly especially during rush hour. In January of 2011 the Q10 had 22 buses arrive at Kew Gardens during the 7am hour during the weekday. Now in 2023 there are only 14 arrivals during the 7am hour. Service gaps are far more noticeable now than before and it isn’t uncommon to have a bunch of buses traveling in one direction but only 1 or 2 in the opposite direction. 

The B12 is suffering from this shit, big time (large in part, thanks to the detoured route, due to the construction along ENY av b/w Howard & Mother Gaston).... One day earlier this past month, I stood and watched NINE f***ing eastbound buses (in a span of about 15 minutes) arrive & pull off across the street, before a bus heading towards Lefferts Gardens showed up.... Pretty sure any B12 rider'll tell you that 5 or 6 of them during the PM peak hours is not at all uncommon.... Used to like to take the JRP, en route to Eastern Pkwy to Howard av (which eventually turns into Kings Hwy) coming home from work, but ever since that aforementioned construction, standstill traffic along the eastern part of Eastern Pkwy (which affects the detoured B12) has become more & more of a thing.....

I'm not sure how much of this is a system-wide thing, but to see someone else bring this up is not only reaffirming (in the sense that it isn't just the B12 this is happening on), but quite concerning.... But going stupid with eliminating bus stops system-wide in these network redesigns is supposed to somehow avert such an issue <_<

Edited by B35 via Church

7 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Have to agree with this.... In general, I don't wait nearly as long for a B6 than I do for a B82.

Their buzzword being "Cost Neutrality" <_<

The B12 is suffering from this shit, big time (large in part, thanks to the detoured route, due to the construction along ENY av b/w Howard & Mother Gaston).... One day earlier this past month, I stood and watched NINE f***ing eastbound buses (in a span of about 15 minutes) arrive & pull off across the street, before a bus heading towards Lefferts Gardens showed up.... Pretty sure any B12 rider'll tell you that 5 or 6 of them during the PM peak hours is not at all uncommon.... Used to like to take the JRP, en route to Eastern Pkwy to Howard av (which eventually turns into Kings Hwy) coming home from work, but ever since that aforementioned construction, standstill traffic along the eastern part of Eastern Pkwy (which affects the detoured B12) has become more & more of a thing.....

I'm not sure how much of this is a system-wide thing, but to see someone else bring this up is not only reaffirming (in the sense that it isn't just the B12 this is happening on), but quite concerning.... But going stupid with eliminating bus stops system-wide in these network redesigns is supposed to somehow avert such an issue <_<

It’s definitely a city wide thing. Seeing 4-5 buses is one thing, but just like you, I’ve seen 8-10 buses in a matter of minutes, while the next bus that you’re waiting for is still 5-10 minutes away. Buses are jammed with service like that, cause the common person doesn’t know how to wait for the next or following bus.

On 5/29/2023 at 12:45 AM, SubBus said:

Didn't know that the (B47) have short turns at Flatlands Ave?  This was around 7:00pm yesterday evening...

Also an accident involving I believe bus#7908 on the (B15)at Essex St and New Lots Ave.  This was yesterday evening as well.  I hope all involved are ok...

Some (B47) shenanigans:  

Heading south on Remsen onto Ralph, I observed 5 N/B (B47) buses between Lenox/Remsen and Snyder/Ralph.  Heading back north on Ralph, there were 4 S/B (B47) and NIS buses....

This was all taking place on Saturday evening....

8 hours ago, SubBus said:

Some (B47) shenanigans:  

Heading south on Remsen onto Ralph, I observed 5 N/B (B47) buses between Lenox/Remsen and Snyder/Ralph.  Heading back north on Ralph, there were 4 S/B (B47) and NIS buses....

This was all taking place on Saturday evening....

for whatever reason, this is very common on Saturday evenings/nights. idk why they don't do a better job of adjusting operators on the 47 during the day (which causes spillover into the evening hours) I'm almost certain that the SLD's at woodhull & kings plaza STILL don't/won't do anything for 47 operators which causes this... aside from the interlining grand avenue utilizes. but then again, the 47 suffered from lateness/bunching at flatbush depot years ago, so... 🤷🏾‍♂️

There are a few CP B/Os who have their bus radios tuned to some strange channel where all you hear is people yelling in spanish, making bird noises, singing (I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried). At first I thought it was a personal radio or something, but it definitely is coming out of the loudspeakers. All the other B/Os have the usual channel where I only hear Command talk about detours or other official business. Anyone know what the hell that is?

One B/O, who is real a**hole, keeps the radio on quite loud, and these people don't shut up, so I need to sit in the back so I don't hear the nonsense and can sleep.

If anyone noticed outside while waiting for the bus, the sky has turned dark with a bit of fog. It’s from a wildfire that happened around the Quebec, Canada area.

Edited by Calvin
Link added for more information about the smoke.

7 minutes ago, Calvin said:

If anyone noticed outside while waiting for the bus, the sky has turned dark with a bit of fog. It’s from a wildfire that happened around the Quebec, Canada area. 

Yup..Smell like theres a fire everywhere....I acutally put on a mask...Making me dizzy...Be safe out there

9 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Yeah, it's really bad today wearing a mask is probably the best bet today and tomorrow.

54 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

There are a few CP B/Os who have their bus radios tuned to some strange channel where all you hear is people yelling in spanish, making bird noises, singing (I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried). At first I thought it was a personal radio or something, but it definitely is coming out of the loudspeakers. All the other B/Os have the usual channel where I only hear Command talk about detours or other official business. Anyone know what the hell that is?

One B/O, who is real a**hole, keeps the radio on quite loud, and these people don't shut up, so I need to sit in the back so I don't hear the nonsense and can sleep.

I have yet ever to experience anything like this, but since it's CP anything is possible. They're the equivalent of Florida Man for B/O's.

8 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Speaking of B/O f**Kerry, last week on an SI express bus the driver was promoting a rider's block party over the bus PA system :lol:

For Staten Island that seems more normal, diver and passengers seem to know each other better and are more aware of their community.

On 6/5/2023 at 8:15 AM, EastFlatbushLarry said:

for whatever reason, this is very common on Saturday evenings/nights. idk why they don't do a better job of adjusting operators on the 47 during the day (which causes spillover into the evening hours) I'm almost certain that the SLD's at woodhull & kings plaza STILL don't/won't do anything for 47 operators which causes this... aside from the interlining grand avenue utilizes. but then again, the 47 suffered from lateness/bunching at flatbush depot years ago, so... 🤷🏾‍♂️

Very rare to be put in place these days when people are running late or are severely delayed- but with everything going on with the roads these days there's not much that can be done. Road capacity got kneecapped in places, extra traffic lights that are too close together and are timed improperly, construction is gonna tie everything up. Just seen a new set of lights go up along the route I'm doing now, but luckily they're timed to go green with the next block.

18 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

Very rare to be put in place these days when people are running late or are severely delayed- but with everything going on with the roads these days there's not much that can be done. Road capacity got kneecapped in places, extra traffic lights that are too close together and are timed improperly, construction is gonna tie everything up. Just seen a new set of lights go up along the route I'm doing now, but luckily they're timed to go green with the next block.

points were definitely made. I've been seeing a downward trend going back to them tinkering the speed limit and all the speed cameras popping up all over the place. I'm not advocating for anyone to be a hero out there these days, however i just can't help but notice certain oddities that are now commonplace.

I'll put it this way: aside from 2 lane roads becoming bottlenecks, construction, etc. our union "situation" is not helping matters... morale is definitely at an all-time low. 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

If I am waiting at a stop that serves both a local and limited route but a local bus is already at the stop picking up people, if I was to signal the LTD bus to stop does the driver have the right to skip the stop?

I was waiting at Kissena Blvd & Jewel Ave for the Q25 LTD but the regular Q25 was at the stop. As the local was pulling off the LTD crossed the light and as I tried to flag him down the driver put up his hands as if he were trying to say oh well and kept driving. Now me personally I like taking the Q25 LTD in the morning in comparison to the local because the Q25 and Q34 have the potential to stop at every stop which happens a lot. I don’t support the removal of bunch of stops like the MTA has been proposing in their redesign plans but the Q25/Q34 needs to have some of its stops eliminated and consolidated together. 

However I found it highly unprofessional that he skipped me like that and I reported him. Some of these drivers want to do whatever they want, well I will report every last one that show no regards for me as the rider. At the end of the day the driver didn’t know where I had to be and I find it annoying that they assume that I want to be on a crowded local bus instead of an empty Limited bus. 

28 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

If I am waiting at a stop that serves both a local and limited route but a local bus is already at the stop picking up people, if I was to signal the LTD bus to stop does the driver have the right to skip the stop?

I was waiting at Kissena Blvd & Jewel Ave for the Q25 LTD but the regular Q25 was at the stop. As the local was pulling off the LTD crossed the light and as I tried to flag him down the driver put up his hands as if he were trying to say oh well and kept driving. Now me personally I like taking the Q25 LTD in the morning in comparison to the local because the Q25 and Q34 have the potential to stop at every stop which happens a lot. I don’t support the removal of bunch of stops like the MTA has been proposing in their redesign plans but the Q25/Q34 needs to have some of its stops eliminated and consolidated together. 

However I found it highly unprofessional that he skipped me like that and I reported him. Some of these drivers want to do whatever they want, well I will report every last one that show no regards for me as the rider. At the end of the day the driver didn’t know where I had to be and I find it annoying that they assume that I want to be on a crowded local bus instead of an empty Limited bus. 

I don't know if you've been following along, but College Point doesn't get a lot of respect around here.

rest in peace to the woman who was struck and killed by a bus earlier today around Broadway & 13th street. i personally have no details. i heard it was a staten island MCI unit and that graphic images were posted on the citizens app (of which i have no desire to see)

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

6 hours ago, Lex said:

I don't know if you've been following along, but College Point doesn't get a lot of respect around here.

Oh I know, I’ve seen some folks on here complain about CP’s express bus drivers and I myself have complained in the past about a few CP drivers but on some of the local routes. This morning I was going to let it go but it irked me a bit because I always pay my $2.75 and I want to take the route that’s most convenient for me. It wasn’t like stopping was going to deduct some money out the drivers paycheck.