BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SMH. As of right now there's 4 M7s bunched northbound by 125th Street, and another 5 M7s bunched northbound by 86th Street (and the first southbound bus before the bunch is at 116th & St. Nicholas)

Nothing shocking about that.  It's a rarity to get a M7.  I usually just walk when I'm on the Upper West Side.  The M7 bunching is actually worse than the M5, and it was already cut back to 14th street years ago. 

SMH. As of right now there's 4 M7s bunched northbound by 125th Street, and another 5 M7s bunched northbound by 86th Street (and the first southbound bus before the bunch is at 116th & St. Nicholas)

Typical...

Main cause of the M7's bunching is within the UWS.... Influx of delivery vehicles along Amsterdam/Columbus over the years has exacerbated the very problem the route has really always had.... Doesn't help that it stops at like every stop b/w 96th & the Lincoln Ctr. area - moreso SB than NB....

Whenever I have to head up to the UWS, my go to route is the M104 (my dealings up there is usually up along B'way anyway).... Outside of fanning purposes, I can't with the M7, esp. along Columbus.....

I know I have mentioned this before a while ago but essentially all of Ulmer Park's 71xx-series XD40s have additional speaker grills on both sides of the body for possible turn warning announcement activation.

Edit: spotted ENY XD40 7113 on the B82 with additional speaker grills

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143367576@N06/31750842516/

Edited by Neko Boy With Glasse

I know I have mentioned this before a while ago but essentially all of Ulmer Park's 71xx-series XD40s have additional speaker grills on both sides of the body for possible turn warning announcement activation.

Edit: spotted ENY XD40 7113 on the B82 with additional speaker grills

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143367576@N06/31750842516/

There are a few of the 71xx's with the announcements already working. They have it saying

"Caution bus turning" about three times. 

There are a few bugs here and there. At some stops, it announces transfer to the Q44-SBS which is the obvious. Also, at main st/39th avenue, it doesn't announce transfers for such a major hub. Sometimes the stop requests glitch out and you might hear both at the same time. Also, the part where the 44 has to make a u-turn to get on the cross Bronx expwy the gps doesn't have it mapped out so it gets off track. Also, why can't it cross under the bridge instead of the u-turn , clearance? Or too tight? Or afraid the cars won't let them over?

Sent from my iPad using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I think the signs on the Q44 are still half programmed for the M15.... Why on earth would someone get off at 42 St for the United Stations on the Q44-SBS? 

The programming on the advertisements on the Q44-SBS signs tell you to get off the bus at 42 St for UN, South Ferry for Statue of Liberty, and so on. 

Everything on the Q44 was half assed. I got on the bus to realize there was only one screen at the front only. 

So I'm waiting for a Bx12, and after a bit of a wait (the SBS was a no-show) a local shows up. I get halfway between the Concourse and Fordham Plaza and what do I see? A deadheading Bx12 SBS coming from Kingsbridge Road that goes into service at Fordham Plaza! Good job Inwood dispatcher, you only gave about 200 people a 15 minute wait. No wonder bus ridership is down.

I know who the dispatcher is too; he'll send every second or third bus deadheading from Inwood via the Broadway Bridge/225th/Kingsbridge to FP every time there's even a slight delay.

So I'm waiting for a Bx12, and after a bit of a wait (the SBS was a no-show) a local shows up. I get halfway between the Concourse and Fordham Plaza and what do I see? A deadheading Bx12 SBS coming from Kingsbridge Road that goes into service at Fordham Plaza! Good job Inwood dispatcher, you only gave about 200 people a 15 minute wait. No wonder bus ridership is down.

I know who the dispatcher is too; he'll send every second or third bus deadheading from Inwood via the Broadway Bridge/225th/Kingsbridge to FP every time there's even a slight delay.

I've seen such a deadhead take place before and my first thought was shock that such would even be allowed.  Whatever games seem to be played aren't affecting ridership levels on that route though. Damn near every bus during the rush was packed to the rafters and for most of the trip as well. I was on 5786 between 5:30 and 6 pm heading east which had a decent SRO load for the entire trip length. I'm amazed that this route can stay crowded for a whole 50 minute trip without emptying out. Even the busiest of routes empty out somewhere.

Everything on the Q44 was half assed. I got on the bus to realize there was only one screen at the front only. 

It's true. Sometimes, the stop request messes up (plays new "please exit through the rear door", then plays "through the rear door", so you hear "please exit through the rear door, through the rear door"). Sometimes, the announcements and next stop map turns off randomly in the middle of the route (had that happen). When the regular MTA announcements play, they have priority over the next stop announcements (which means that you can't hear the next stop, but you hear the MTA telling you to use BusTime). The stop for Booth Memorial is too far back, and for some reason there's a Main St/39 and a Main St/38 in the same direction. The women who says the announcements says "Next stop, Main Street and Kissena Boulevard. Transfer available to Twash, Q58 and Q58 Limited." Like, who is supposed to know that Ptwash is Port Washington? Some buses don't even have announcements working. 

Then again, the MTA is only testing these systems. They're gonna have flaws. 

Edited by R188 7857

It's true. Sometimes, the stop request messes up (plays new "please exit through the rear door", then plays "through the rear door", so you hear "please exit through the rear door, through the rear door"). Sometimes, the announcements and next stop map turns off randomly in the middle of the route (had that happen). When the regular MTA announcements play, they have priority over the next stop announcements (which means that you can't hear the next stop, but you hear the MTA telling you to use BusTime). The stop for Booth Memorial is too far back, and for some reason there's a Main St/39 and a Main St/38 in the same direction. The women who says the announcements says "Next stop, Main Street and Kissena Boulevard. Transfer available to Twash, Q58 and Q58 Limited." Like, who is supposed to know that Ptwash is Port Washington? Some buses don't even have announcements working.

Looks like they have a lot of work to do then.

Still don't get why instead of "Stop Requested" being announced they continue using that "use the rear door".  DDOT customers have been trained to use the rear door, whether they're sitting up by priority or not, and even if nobody's getting on at the stop being requested, with most of them ringing the bell and going down the aisle while the bus is approaching the stop.  Now on SMART, they don't do that as regularly, yet most customers use both systems.  I think the reason for that is that SMART doesn't see the same volumes as DDOT, so people don't care if they cause boarding delays by alighting through the front.  But you'd think that anyone using NYC buses would just automatically use the rear door, given that there's a good chance a buttload of people will be getting on.

Equipment "malfunctions" (like no display) will certainly continue, along with GPS "dead spots" that throw off the stop announcements/displays.  Can't tell you how many times the stops are in the distance but being announced, or you're right on top of the stop and it gets announced.  Even on the 2016 Gilligs, they obviously don't fully test the system after dragging it from the 2002-3 carcasses upon installation, because sometimes the audio only works, sometimes only the LED screen, and the operators could care less.  The DDOT system doesn't really have as many issues, since the only stops announced are transfer points or major places of interest.  There must have been a Clever update that somehow corrupted the SMART system about a year ago that actually removed the alternating "Stop Requested"/stop display, so you have more idiots pulling the cord and re-ringing the bell (or just yanking it constantly).

They'll work out some of the kinks, but might take a little longer to coordinate with three contractors on the program.

I'm inclined to believe something similar happened on the B35 yesterday.... While walking eastward from E.18th (brighton line, church av), I noticed there were more people than normal waiting for a EB B35 last night @ E 18th - this was around 8 or so.... Made my way to Flatbush av, same abnormal amt. of ppl waiting... (I) Eventually hopped on a dollar cab, but about a minute or two before doing so, a bus made a swift left from off Flatbush SB onto Church EB (almost like the b/o was in some kind of hurry), then the B35 LTD to Brownsville signage lit up.... Never seen anything like that on the route...

My guess is, this was a DH-ing bus (they all take Linden) & that was told midstream to do an EB (well, a half-assed EB) trip to M. Gaston....

While I'm in the dollar cab, we hit Nostrand... Bus apparently broke down (but this doesn't explain w/e problem there was well west of Nostrand that had all those at Flatbush & E. 18th waiting for buses).... So there was another cool hundred + people waiting.. No way in hell all those people got on that same bus that started from Flatbush....

Those ppl. @ E. 18th were SOL (shit outta luck), because the EB B35 runs funny around that time anyway... There's either a shitload of WB buses doing trips to McDonald (to eventually head to JG) or running full to 1st av, and then DH-ing from there to JG....

I've seen a few firsts today with the Bx12 SBS. One was a Westbound bus running drop-off only along Pelham Parkway. Bus had NIS signage up while carrying nearly a full load and would run up past the SBS shelter and local stop poles at Eastchester and Williamsbridge as a signal for waiting passengers to not consider getting on. The other was 2 out of 3 trips in an Eastbound bunch getting short-turned at Pelham Bay. One of the drivers warned passengers at Williamsbridge Road that his/her bus was getting short turned so a swarm of passengers flee to the bus immediately behind (which I happened to be on). The only problem is that the bus all these people flocked to also ended at Pelham Bay which pissed off quite a few passengers with some about to curse out the driver. There was a third bus that was bunched behind these two that did the honors of carrying a crushload into Bay Plaza but it's sad that quite a few passengers had to physically board three different buses to accomplish what the map shows as a one seat (if you're somehow able to get one) trip.