BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it true that buses are running on a Saturday schedule tomorrow? TripPlanner is showing Saturday schedules for tomorrow and the PDF timetables are saying some kind of "special schedule" will run.

The MTA notices on the site and on buses say that it will run on a Sunday schedule tomorrow.

http://www.mta.info/news-holiday-lirr-metro-north-mta/2016/12/21/q70-laguardia-link-bus-be-fare-free-dec-22-23-lots

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

Considering Northern Blvd runs most of the length of Queens, where in particular is this the case?

Let me clarify this; east of Main Street.

Most of the north-south routes turn well short of Northern to head into Flushing, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but makes trips from south of Northern to north of it a giant PITA unless you live directly on the Q31 or Q76.

Edited by bobtehpanda

Let me clarify this; east of Main Street.

Most of the north-south routes turn well short of Northern to head into Flushing, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but makes trips from south of Northern to north of it a giant PITA unless you live directly on the Q31 or Q76.

Unfortunely that's most of the streets in that area are a)Narrow b) are two ways. So the bus have no chance to run directly south. Also the (7) is a major generator of ridership for most of the bus routes. The Q76, and the Q31 both have low ridership, and were both victims of the 2010 budget cuts.

Unfortunely that's most of the streets in that area are a)Narrow b) are two ways. So the bus have no chance to run directly south. Also the (7) is a major generator of ridership for most of the bus routes. The Q76, and the Q31 both have low ridership, and were both victims of the 2010 budget cuts.

....and had their service restored later on (with the Q76 receiving Sunday service). 

Are we anticipating any shift in buses to Quill for the M55? I'm looking forward to seeing RTSes on 5th Avenue again, regardless.

If MJQ gets RTS than it's coming from Brooklyn. Majority of them are in Brooklyn. But the problem would pose is that MJQ has a decent amount of Orion7NG that can go temporarily to Flatbush since Ulmer Park has the most RTS along with Flatbush.

Ulmer Park doesn't want any Orion7NG.

Are we anticipating any shift in buses to Quill for the M55? I'm looking forward to seeing RTSes on 5th Avenue again, regardless.

IMO, honestly, nah. If there's a shift to occur, it'll likely be hybrids heading there.

Or, in a very long shot, some of the RTSs from West Farms would make their way there.

When does the next pick start?

January 8, 2017

Does Quill actually need more buses? Will more buses be required to run the M55?

I would assume that whatever buses aren't needed for the M5 anymore would just appear on the M55.

Maybe 6-10 Hybrids to move to Quill for the M55 (as in Yes)

Edited by CH3348

IMO, honestly, nah. If there's a shift to occur, it'll likely be hybrids heading there.

Or, in a very long shot, some of the RTSs from West Farms would make their way there.

Yeah, I just meant seeing the regular Quill RTSes. I doubt they get too much new, unless those 1997s get yanked soon.

How long has 5225 had Hanovers, also? I feel like that one didn't but could be wrong.

I know that that's the reason, it just sucks that I essentially have to hoof it from the Q27 to Northern if I want to go anywhere, particularly in the winter.

It's a shame that the subways only got as far as Flushing and Jamaica. You wouldn't even need to extend the subways very far to eliminate most of the Flushing and Jamaica backtracking; to Broadway LIRR on the (7), Springfield/Hillside on the (F), and Farmers on the (E) would be enough to eliminate most backtracking IMO.

I know that that's the reason, it just sucks that I essentially have to hoof it from the Q27 to Northern if I want to go anywhere, particularly in the winter.

It's a shame that the subways only got as far as Flushing and Jamaica. You wouldn't even need to extend the subways very far to eliminate most of the Flushing and Jamaica backtracking; to Broadway LIRR on the (7), Springfield/Hillside on the (F), and Farmers on the (E) would be enough to eliminate most backtracking IMO.

Ideally the subway should be the primary East-West Transit line and bus feeding the train at every North-South Intersection. But as of right now, unfortunately most of the options is to go to Flushing or Jamaica.

Still just SMH over the MTA fascination with hybrids in heavy traffic conditions.  Hybrids could work decent -- possibly -- in NICE or Bee-Line territory, but in city use, you simply canNOT be serious that they're getting anything better than 5 mpg (if that), versus the traditional 3 mpg straight diesels.

Around here, hybrids are UNIVERSALLY hated by both SMART and DDOT operators.  I think SMART learned their lesson (feedback from operators and the public) since the newest fleet orders only had 3 new hybrids, which were delivered first, and all straight diesels coming after.  In fact, not two weeks (of being run only a couple days) after those new hybrids being delivered, TWO had breakdowns that necessitated tows.

But it "looks good" to all those ecomentalists -- especially those riding in fossil-fuel-powered cabs and Ubers avoiding the MTA buses.

Edited by DetSMART45

Still just SMH over the MTA fascination with hybrids in heavy traffic conditions.  Hybrids could work decent -- possibly -- in NICE or Bee-Line territory, but in city use, you simply canNOT be serious that they're getting anything better than 5 mpg (if that), versus the traditional 3 mpg straight diesels.

Around here, hybrids are UNIVERSALLY hated by both SMART and DDOT operators.  I think SMART learned their lesson (feedback from operators and the public) since the newest fleet orders only had 3 new hybrids, which were delivered first, and all straight diesels coming after.  In fact, not two weeks (of being run only a couple days) after those new hybrids being delivered, TWO had breakdowns that necessitated tows.

But it "looks good" to all those ecomentalists -- especially those riding in fossil-fuel-powered cabs and Ubers avoiding the MTA buses.

I think their fascination is more about saving on fuel costs.  Even though they buy in bulk, we both know how prices can fluctuate.  Aside from that there aren't that many options out there these days anyway with factories shuttering left and right.  From a community a standpoint, I support more clean air buses and commend the (MTA) for acting aggressively to update their fleet and move into the 21st century.

In general, poor people have to choke on more air pollution than limosine liberals. Also, going from 3-5 mpg is a 66% improvement. If I could cut my bills by 40% I would be very happy.

Where exactly does the B35 originate in Brownsville?

The map says that it originates/terminates at Hegeman Avenue and Mother Gaston Boulevard. However, the bus timetable shows Rockaway Avenue as the terminal (and also suggests that buses loop at Mother Gaston and back to Rockaway and originate there). There's more time built in the schedule between Church Avenue/Kings Highway and Rockaway Avenue going towards Brownsville (15-16 minutes compared to 10-12 minutes going to Sunset Park). 

I know the B35's go out to Mother Gaston from Sunset Park, but do they pickup from Mother Gaston Boulevard going to Sunset Park, or do I have to go to Rockaway Avenue to catch it.