MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

On 2/28/2020 at 10:53 AM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

http://novabus.com/nova-bus-kicks-off-2020-biggest-us-contract-history/

Pilots to arrive in May 2020, main delivery to begin in December 2020. 

By the looks of it, finally going with WIDE rear doors @Missabassie after 8 years they finally listen to us. 

Also, thank God for a streamlined roof! 

18 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

I would *highly* doubt it. As much as I miss Alcoas, they're pretty much gone from the system.

Interesting how wide that rear door looks also. 

I'm not quite convinced that's a wide rear door. It is a render of the bus, after all....

After all, look at New Flyer's original render of the XD60. It showed the MTA spec-style roof, but it came with the entire roof flaring!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the (MTA) buying electric LFSs (LFSi? Idk what the plural is) or hybrid? And if they are buying hybrid, are they diesel-electric, plug-in-hybrid, CNG-electric,, or possibly something else?

Also, are the new Prevosts for NYCB, (MTA)Bus, or both?

@Cait Sith @Calvin any insight?

On 3/10/2020 at 6:05 PM, Cait Sith said:

1300 is up in the Prevost facility in Montreal, I suppose for adjustments, inspections and such.

On a different topic, how are you tracking it?

25 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

Is the (MTA) buying electric LFSs (LFSi? Idk what the plural is) or hybrid? And if they are buying hybrid, are they diesel-electric, plug-in-hybrid, CNG-electric,, or possibly something else?

Also, are the new Prevosts for NYCB, (MTA)Bus, or both?

@Cait Sith @Calvin any insight?

On a different topic, how are you tracking it?

Hybrid.

Majority are for MTA BUS Company. 1300-1556 are for MTA BUS Company. Only 50 are for NYCT (Charleston & Yukon Depots). 1557-1606 are for NYCT.

Edited by Snorunts

1 hour ago, Snorunts said:

Hybrid.

Majority are for MTA BUS Company. 1300-1556 are for MTA BUS Company. Only 50 are for NYCT (Charleston & Yukon Depots). 1557-1606 are for NYCT.

Actually, it looks like Staten Island will get them first. 1300 has New York City Bus decals on it.

....and it's one ugly looking bus to boot.

Really wish we got CRTs.

Edited by Cait Sith

7 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

Anybody know when those Orion VII OGs at MHV, MJQ, and MCH will be replaced - and what with?

They will be replaced when the time is right and with the same model buses thats out now pretty much (unless we have another 90 bus test fleet similar to the 2011 fleets)...

This is interesting, looks like Charleston & Castleton is fighting to get the new Prevost. Word was that the 50 buses were to go to Charleston because they're the only depot in S.I without a newer fleet, but I was also told Castleton wants a piece. 

These buses will apparently be split between Charleston/Castleton in a 32/18 assignment. This would retire the 4300s from Charleston and send Prevost from Castleton to Yukon to retire the 2002 units and increase service. 

None of this is official, I'm just going off what I heard. 

@SevenEleven @Cait Sith can yall confirm this? 

22 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

This is interesting, looks like Charleston & Castleton is fighting to get the new Prevost. Word was that the 50 buses were to go to Charleston because they're the only depot in S.I without a newer fleet, but I was also told Castleton wants a piece. 

These buses will apparently be split between Charleston/Castleton in a 32/18 assignment. This would retire the 4300s from Charleston and send Prevost from Castleton to Yukon to retire the 2002 units and increase service. 

Didn't they just get 2015 X3s? If anything all three should have a piece lol

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

45 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

Didn't they just get 2015 X3s? If anything all three should have a piece lol

I haven't heard anything solid yet. It's way too early being that the first bus for NYCT hasn't been built yet. The other thing is that it's not going to be a simple give new buses to this depot, send old buses to retire older buses at another depot.

The Prevosts are starting to hit 200K miles. That will be a factor when these buses are delivered. On top of that, the option order is to allow the MTA to take the SIM23 and 24 from Academy. 

11 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

I haven't heard anything solid yet. It's way too early being that the first bus for NYCT hasn't been built yet. The other thing is that it's not going to be a simple give new buses to this depot, send old buses to retire older buses at another depot.

The Prevosts are starting to hit 200K miles. That will be a factor when these buses are delivered. On top of that, the option order is to allow the MTA to take the SIM23 and 24 from Academy. 

Thanks. So its still up in the air. But apparently 1300 is built with NYCT decals. I thought the takeover of those routes wasn't gonna happen?

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

In wake of the current pandemic, it seems Prevost and New Flyer has suspended production of buses and deliveries at this time. Hopefully this doesn't affect the MTA in the long run but knowing the situation they are in right now I doubt they are good.

Hopefully the delivery of the remaining 4900's and 1300 is able to come in within the next few months. But I rather these companies play safe until further notice.

On the fleet side, I wonder if the MTA is going to have to stick with keeping older buses around just a little longer.

I don't think they'll have the money for running full service when this is all over or to finance new purchases. But if they can't keep full service going, then they might have to get rid of older buses first, and if keeping them in storage costs them money, then the more incentive to junk them. And ridership patterns might not be the same after this.

3 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Hopefully the delivery of the remaining 4900's and 1300 is able to come in within the next few months. But I rather these companies play safe until further notice.

I would assume those buses are already built and it's just a matter of doing the requisite testing before delivery

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Since we have a load of changes in assignments for Essential service wouldn't it be appropriate to update the roster to reflect new assignments?

For example sometimes OF does the Bx41, OH does the Bx15, all local Staten island depots help on the S40, etc.

Whole thing is a mess lol. Some MV buses on the Bx15 today too.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 11:21 AM, MysteriousBtrain said:

Since we have a load of changes in assignments for Essential service wouldn't it be appropriate to update the roster to reflect new assignments?

For example sometimes OF does the Bx41, OH does the Bx15, all local Staten island depots help on the S40, etc.

No.  Because the "out of depot" bus may be doing a particular run for one day with a bus operator from the depot from where the bus is assigned. After the trip is done, the operator and bus returns to the depot to which it is assigned to. 

This is done because one depot could have an extra board operator available whereas another depot could have an open run with no extra board operator available.  Therefore the bus isn't technically lent to another depot.  It's simply a bus and operator is lent for one run and the bus and operator returns to its' home depot after the run is done.  The bus and operator wouldn't even go into the depot where the route is assigned to.

On March 25, 2020 at 12:39 PM, MysteriousBtrain said:

In wake of the current pandemic, it seems Prevost and New Flyer has suspended production of buses and deliveries at this time. Hopefully this doesn't affect the MTA in the long run but knowing the situation they are in right now I doubt they are good.

4959 is here so looks like New Flyer is back up...

96086530_536147970609652_802349805714223

IDK what Prevost is up to but hopefully 1300 comes in soon