MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thank you, just , why there isn't an option for additional option for natural gas bus. even with converting the b35 and bx36 to artic u will still need some more 40ft ng buses.

They are only looking to replace the 259 orion VII cng buses right now. They have 248 total cng buses on order. Thats enought to replapce the orion vii's considering the fact that for most internal purpose's, an artic bus counts as 1 1/2 buses.

They are only looking to replace the 259 orion VII cng buses right now. They have 248 total cng buses on order. Thats enought to replapce the orion vii's considering the fact that for most internal purpose's, an artic bus counts as 1 1/2 buses.

but aren't the some of the cng artic replacing regular artics. 

Major updates to the title post

Yes, it is included. Always refer to the title post when I make updates.

I'm just wondering. Why does it say "to be awarded" for the 110 CNG artics if we already know the manufacturer? Doesn't that mean they have been awarded the contract or am I missing something?

Edited by Around the Horn

Not sure what's wrong with those new flyer artics and having 4 pilot buses because I've seen the training materials and those buses are 2012 models. I didn't check the year of manufacture on the buses at Jfk but will check as soon as I can but those are 2012 model year buses so all the kinks should have been fixed by now. That said, I was on 5666 which was delivered about two weeks ago and I've already started to see defects in material. The seats where the passengers sit on the floor they have yellow tapes surrounding the edges and within a few days those tapes have black smudges. I guess they never envision passengers were going to be placing there foot there to get on and off the seats.

Not sure what's wrong with those new flyer artics and having 4 pilot buses because I've seen the training materials and those buses are 2012 models. I didn't check the year of manufacture on the buses at Jfk but will check as soon as I can but those are 2012 model year buses so all the kinks should have been fixed by now. That said, I was on 5666 which was delivered about two weeks ago and I've already started to see defects in material. The seats where the passengers sit on the floor they have yellow tapes surrounding the edges and within a few days those tapes have black smudges. I guess they never envision passengers were going to be placing there foot there to get on and off the seats.

No they're definitely 2015's.

Ain't it 138 cng buses on order not 248.

2017-2018 NovaBus LFSA : 60' low floor Diesel transit coach

Pilot buses 5658-5661 will be delivered Jan. '16, production buses all by March '18.

• 5658-5749 (NYCT)

Major updates to the title post

Yes, it is included. Always refer to the title post when I make updates.

Is that a typo, or will 5658-5661 actually be delivered this month? 

Is that a typo, or will 5658-5661 actually be delivered this month?

Typo. The buses are being delivered next year, not this month. The artic pilot is not even built yet so until we see one no LFSA are coming here yet.

Speaking of the LFSA, I hope that the next time they arrive the MTA doesn't go SEPTA on these buses and bring back the rear window. Otherwise I'm just looking at some ugly bs here, although for some reason the 40 fters make it work now.

Typo. The buses are being delivered next year, not this month. The artic pilot is not even built yet so until we see one no LFSA are coming here yet.

Speaking of the LFSA, I hope that the next time they arrive the MTA doesn't go SEPTA on these buses and bring back the rear window. Otherwise I'm just looking at some ugly bs here, although for some reason the 40 fters make it work now.

I honestly hate the rear windows, it's just a place for people to put their trash and stinks up the back of the bus. 

just wondering why the new xd 60's weren't  # 13xx, because if u curry out the order, with the future nova order it will eventally run in to previous order that started at 5770 .

Maybe NYCT's last set of 1300's is still somehow "officially" on the roster, or maybe those numbers are being reserved for something else.

thank you, just , why  there isn't an option for additional option for natural gas bus. even with converting the b35 and bx36 to artic u will still need some more 40ft  ng buses.   

As Blitz explained there is no option order needed. The original plans called for 138 buses with options for an additional 125. However, I mentioned about 7 months ago that New Flyer was aggressively marketing the CNG artic and things could change. 

Since it has, there is no longer an option order needed as the 138 buses of the standard order will replace the first batch of 134 OG's, and have an additional 4 buses. The second batch of the remaining 125 buses will be replaced by 110 Artics.

What's the story with the 2nd 8090 and the fate of the first one?

Im not 100% sure, but I hear the first will be scrapped and the second is the replacement

I'm just wondering. Why does it say "to be awarded" for the 110 CNG artics if we already know the manufacturer? Doesn't that mean they have been awarded the contract or am I missing something?

I've done this several times over the years when I have confirmed the manufacturer prior to it being official, and confirmed to the public. This is actually the 9th time I have done this since 2009 if I recall correctly. The most recents were The artic order for MTA Bus, The NYCT Artic split between Nova and NF, the XN40 order, and now the XN60 order. I announced the manufacturers before MTA inked any of those contracts. 

My most famous controversial post was that we would definitely get NF C40LF's. That was at a time when the C40LF was actually discontinued, and MTA had not dealt with New Flyer since they sued them over the D60HF's. The MTA had also not yet awarded the contract to New Flyer, and contacted us here at NYC Transit Forums to find out where I got that information. Of course that was/is confidential, so I was not able to say anything other than wait until next week. lol. 

Now back to the CNG artics, it is not official, but it is "official" if you know what I mean. It's not public, and NFI has not officially been awarded. It is a competitive procurement, however there is no one who will be able to pass MTA's evaluation for final award. I almost wrote this exact same explanation for the 40 foot CNG's, as it will play out almost the exact same way. 

Im having a hard time understanding what it is exactly that you are talking about. The 4 new Flyer Pilots are brand new 2015 units. The current 5666 was delivered 12 and a half years ago, not 2 weeks ago. You may be talking about 5366. That was re-delivered roughly 2 weeks ago. MTA Bus doesn't have any 2012 artics.

The only 2012 New Flyer artics are the 90 test buses that are with Transit.

I've done this several times over the years when I have confirmed the manufacturer prior to it being official, and confirmed to the public. This is actually the 9th time I have done this since 2009 if I recall correctly. The most recents were The artic order for MTA Bus, The NYCT Artic split between Nova and NF, the XN40 order, and now the XN60 order. I announced the manufacturers before MTA inked any of those contracts. 

My most famous controversial post was that we would definitely get NF C40LF's. That was at a time when the C40LF was actually discontinued, and MTA had not dealt with New Flyer since they sued them over the D60HF's. The MTA had also not yet awarded the contract to New Flyer, and contacted us here at NYC Transit Forums to find out where I got that information. Of course that was/is confidential, so I was not able to say anything other than wait until next week. lol. 

Now back to the CNG artics, it is not official, but it is "official" if you know what I mean. It's not public, and NFI has not officially been awarded. It is a competitive procurement, however there is no one who will be able to pass MTA's evaluation for final award. I almost wrote this exact same explanation for the 40 foot CNG's, as it will play out almost the exact same way. 

AH thank you for the explanation!

I remember that thread...It was the first one I ever read on this site believe it or not. I remember it was such a "forgone conculsion" that we were getting C40LFRs that Trevor even photoshopped a SEPTA D40LFR into one on the Q60 (IIRC).

good times...

Scrapped? That thing barely made a year in service.

I still say make that the replacement 8017 and write the first one off.

It's still operable, but it was rejected, and it's supposed to go back. As I said before I don't know the full and actual story, but I will try to find out the full story.

Edited by East New York

No, the first 8090 was definitely the pilot for the order along with 8091. Supposedly there were some issues when it was rejected, and MTA would rather have a new bus. But again, don't quote me on that one until I make my next trip to ENY.

You can quote me on this one though. Now that we are finally into 2016, we can gear up for the options! Updating the title post now.....

XD40's 7483-7734 (252) and Nova's 8504-8671 (168) are on the horizon.  :ph34r: