Planned Subway Service Changes

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So is the (4) running in two sections, besides the construction, just for internal crew purposes like with the Broadway Junction (M)? Since I don't really see the difference of those (4) from 125 St to Brooklyn Bridge just being extra (6) trains that could just turn at 3rd Ave - 138 St which from what I can tell is where they are being turned around anyways.

Edited by iGeMiNix

So is the (4) running in two sections, besides the construction, just for internal crew purposes like with the Broadway Junction (M)? Since I don't really see the difference of those (4) from 125 St to Brooklyn Bridge just being extra (6) trains that could just turn at 3rd Ave - 138 St which from what I can tell is where they are being turned around anyways.

I think its to prevent people on Lexington Av to wait hours for a  (4) to come. Most people dont read the signs or listen to the announcements. If you run those  (4)s as  (6)s, I think there will still be a lot of people waiting for the   (4) to come which wont show up lol.

I think its to prevent people on Lexington Av to wait hours for a  (4) to come. Most people dont read the signs or listen to the announcements. If you run those  (4)s as  (6)s, I think there will still be a lot of people waiting for the   (4) to come which wont show up lol.

And whose fault is that?

I would make it clear you are supposed to pay attention.  I would either have those (4) trains signed as going to 138th-3rd Avenue or they go as replace the (4) along certain aspects.

And whose fault is that?

I would make it clear you are supposed to pay attention.  I would either have those (4) trains signed as going to 138th-3rd Avenue or they go as replace the (4) along certain aspects.

And what should a tourist do if their guidebook says take the (4), all the signage in the station says (4) and there is insufficient signage explaining that the (4) is suspended?

Cardinal rule of running anything public: Never ever ever assume someone can deduct the correct information by just observing their surroundings. Make it painfully obvious. Signing these trains as (4) trains= painfully obvious. I fully support the move.

That's true. I forgot about the obvious distinction for just being more simple and obvious for people since no (5) s were running either. Perhaps if the (5) were running, that might have probably ran to Brooklyn Bridge local and the (4) would just go from Woodlawn to 125 St.

Edited by iGeMiNix

And what should a tourist do if their guidebook says take the (4), all the signage in the station says (4) and there is insufficient signage explaining that the (4) is suspended?

Cardinal rule of running anything public: Never ever ever assume someone can deduct the correct information by just observing their surroundings. Make it painfully obvious. Signing these trains as (4) trains= painfully obvious. I fully support the move.

I learned my lesson on that the hard way a number of years ago.  The rule is, you need to pay attention and realize that situations are subject to change.

The guidebooks need to note that there often is work on the lines and lines themselves are subject to change without notice and people should pay attention.

That's why I would have either had the (4) to go 138th and 3rd OR make it clear the (4) was only running to 125 and all passengers had to take the (6) to 125 to get the (4).   

Note: I'm only posting major suspensions and reroutes rather than exp/local runs as most of them are familiar or recurring.

(2)(3) No service in Brooklyn: June 17-19, 24-26

(3) No service east of Utica Av: June 10-11

(4)(5) No service south of Brooklyn Bridge and Grand Central respectively: June 3-5, 10 (Saturday only)

(5) No service between East 180th and Dyre Av: June 3-5, 17-19

(4) Reduced daytime service north of Burnside Av: June 3-4 (daytime only)

(A)(C) via Rutgers tunnel, both directions: June 10-12

(D) No service between Bay Pkwy and Coney Island: June 10-11 (daytime only)

(F) Service suspended south of Church Av: June 3-5

(G) No service north of Bedford-Nostrand Avs: June 10-12, 17-19

(J) No service east of Crescent St: June 3-4, 17-18, 24 (Saturday only)

(M) No service between Metropolitan Av and Myrtle Av: June 3-5, 17-19, 24-26

(M) Reduced service: June 10 (Saturday only)

(N) No service north of Queensboro Plaza: June 3-5

(N) No service between 86 St and Coney Island: June 10-11 daytime only

(N)(R) via Manhattan Bridge, Brooklyn Bound: June 17-19, 24-26

Edited by S78 via Hylan

At least this time, the (J) is not being suspended on Belmont Stakes day (unlike past years).  With that being a much bigger day whether the Triple Crown is on the line or not (it's not this year), I wonder if NYRA (which is run by the state) convinced the (MTA) NOT to do any Broadway-Brooklyn G.O.'s that Saturday. 

Again, how many people are making that trip through the (J) local and the LIRR via Sutphin-Jamaica? That's a ridiculous trip that no sane person would actually take. Most spectators would more likely just drive to the stakes or take the LIRR direct.

Again, how many people are making that trip through the (J) local and the LIRR via Sutphin-Jamaica? That's a ridiculous trip that no sane person would actually take. Most spectators would more likely just drive to the stakes or take the LIRR direct.

Especially, since they run so many Penn-Belmont trains...

Most people make that trip via the (J) to Parsons-Archer and then take the Q110 bus to Belmont Park, which stops much closer to the Grandstand than the LIRR does (a route I did many times as especially on Belmont Stakes Day they run as many Q110s as needed).

No one takes the (J) to the LIRR.  Most using the subway take the (E) or (J) and Q110 as noted.

Especially, since they run so many Penn-Belmont trains...

A lot of people like me avoid the LIRR on Belmont Stakes Day because those trains are often SRO (especially with the TC on the line).  Though it's almost certainly faster going back now than in the past, the security measures used often mean long waiting times on the back end whereas no wait for the Q110 (especially if you are willing to stand on that).  

That's why NOT having a GO on the (J) on Belmont Stakes day is important.

You'd be surprised how packed the Q110 and Q2's are on Belmont Stakes Day

Exactly.  The Q2 and Q110 are both jammed on Belmont Stakes Day.

The last time I took the LIRR back from Belmont on Belmont Stakes Day, I actually walked over to the Queens Village Station and took the Hempstead train back.  No crowd on that train at all.  

Exactly.  The Q2 and Q110 are both jammed on Belmont Stakes Day.

The last time I took the LIRR back from Belmont on Belmont Stakes Day, I actually walked over to the Queens Village Station and took the Hempstead train back.  No crowd on that train at all.  

I wonder if it would make sense for them to detour Q110's and N6's on Belmont Stakes day to serve the QV LIRR.

We have dates for the Myrtle Ave closures:

1 July - 1 Sept.

No service between Myrtle Av and Metropolitan Av

(M) trains are rerouted via the (J) line between Myrtle Av and Broadway Junction at all times except late nights

(J)(Z) trains run local in both directions between Marcy Av and Broadway Junction

2 Sept. - 30 Apr. 2018

No service between Myrtle Av-Broadway and Myrtle-Wyckoff Avs

(M) trains are rerouted via the (J) line between Myrtle Av and Broadway Junction at all times except late nights

(J)(Z) trains run local in both directions between Marcy Av and Broadway Junction

1 July - 1 Sept.

2 Sept. - 30 Apr. 2018

So in Phase 2 (M) trains will run to Broadway Junction as well as running a shuttle from Myrtle-Wyckoff to Metropolitan?

So in Phase 2 (M) trains will run to Broadway Junction as well as running a shuttle from Myrtle-Wyckoff to Metropolitan?

Yes, the shuttle will use R32s.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

1 July - 1 Sept.

2 Sept. - 30 Apr. 2018

Where was this posted?