R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why didn't the MTA just order R188's for the Flushing Line and leave the R142A's alone. This is the first time they've taken newer cars and converted them. Conversions/modifications previously were only done to renovate old equipment. R11 to R34, modifying old BRT gate cars to Q's, modifying R32's, R38's, R40's and slants, R42, etc. The apparently didn't have the money

Chapter to convert. The literal difference between the R142A and the R188 is the CBTC kit

Edited by Fresh Pond

The 62As have at least another 10 years to go (in the case of the oldest cars).

The Kawasaki R62s have at least 10 yrs , the Oldest R62As have 12 still ... remember a subway cars life span is 40 , and the first R62s came in in 1983 , and the first R62As in late 1985

Rode the R188 express yesterday (Flushing bound), rather quieter and smoother then the R62A's. Pretty speedy! Also rode it in the morning out to Times Square getting the technically not RFW anymore, but an awesome view out the front! It was indeed in service (7811-7821), but 7822-7832 was in the yard yesterday when I saw it.

Sadly, it's disappointing that the interior sign doesn't use <> when it goes express and still uses (). I'm wondering, does the front of the train  show a diamond or a circle? Because it would be hard as hell to tell the difference between a local and an express, especially people who aren't good at English.

The Kawasaki R62s have at least 10 yrs , the Oldest R62As have 12 still ... remember a subway cars life span is 40 , and the first R62s came in in 1983 , and the first R62As in late 1985

Adding onto that the R62's have the second highest MDBF along with the fact that they run on a relatively short part time line ALA the (3) they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. I don't understand his post about "The worst R62A's".

Any who back to topic does anyone know if the R188's will have the programs to be used on multiple lines like the r143's which I've seen display (A) and (J)

Adding onto that the R62's have the second highest MDBF along with the fact that they run on a relatively short part time line ALA the (3) they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. I don't understand his post about "The worst R62A's".Any who back to topic does anyone know if the R188's will have the programs to be used on multiple lines like the r143's which I've seen display (A) and (J)

The R188 may have other programs but its highly doubtful that we'll see an r188 on any other line than the (7),<7>. There might be the slightest chance that you see a R188 on the (6) if something crazy happens! I suppose the R188 has programs for other IRT Lines.

Edited by R42N

First R62A's came in 1984, not 1985 and 1651-60 shells were built by Kawasaki to show bombardier how to built and construct the R62A bodies

Edited by R32 3838

Thats so stupid...just leave the sets in order...

They need some OCD.

It really doesn't matter. The same thing happens with various other trains, including the 142s and 160s. There's nothing gained by keeping the entire train(s) out of service if one particular set is being serviced.

As of right now 7833-7844 is currently still being set up to run? I noticed the 3rd shoes were not on the trucks.

The numbers run in a pattern...so the last digit will always be the same since its 11 cars. You specifically, is counting as regular numbers but you have to count car 7833 as one. So this third set is 7833-7843. Look at the pattern.

7811-7821

7822-7832

7833-7843.

The last digit is the same, the second to last digit is one up, when your talking about a whole set.

R188 is now mismatched for some reason, 7811-7815 was paired to 7822-7833

7811-7821 were running together today.  There obviously is a problem (bug) as the R188s leave Times Sq., no announcements/unlit strip map except for Times Sq. blinking and "Last Stop" blinking on side window and overhead LED interior displays.  As the train enters Grand Central, strip map resets with announcement Next Stop, 5th Avenue.  Everything synchronizes by the time the train gets to Hunters Point.

the conductor in the middle of the train, announced the stops until everything was normal.

7811-7821 were running together today.  There obviously is a problem (bug) as the R188s leave Times Sq., no announcements/unlit strip map except for Times Sq. blinking and "Last Stop" blinking on side window and overhead LED interior displays.  As the train enters Grand Central, strip map resets with announcement Next Stop, 5th Avenue.  Everything synchronizes by the time the train gets to Hunters Point.

the conductor in the middle of the train, announced the stops until everything was normal.

There is no bug. There really is no time to program the train as trains are typically in and out at Times Square. In all honesty the arriving conductor should preset it as the train is approaching Times Square to help save time.