R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Honestly, there are R188's everywhere.   Aren't there some @ Coney Island yard?  The first set was @ East 180 St. yard because of the testing on the Dyre Ave. line.   I'm curious how much mileage these cars already have by the time they finally reach the tracks for passengers use?   Are all the sets going through this vigorous testing?  Wouldn't it make sense to have everything done at one facility?  Parts get installed in Brooklyn.   I'm surprised the Corona yard couldn't have been set up to do this.   The last new cars ordered for the Flushing Line were the

R-33WF (singles) and R-36WF (married pairs).  Anyone know if back in 1963-4 when these cars were delivered from St. Louis Car, if they went through all these tests?

They had to quickly be placed in service for the opening of the New York World's Fair, in April 1964.

The (MTA) wants to take things slowly rather than pushing stuff or else everything screws up with this order. The R142A conversions are also needed to be done which is no easy process either.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might be forgetting a car type, but I believe the R188 may become the only train car to stay on one line the whole time. I don't see an R188 going on any other line besides the (7). Maybe it goes on the Dyre Ave Line during Late Nights a couple of times ( Like the R143 and the (M) ).

I might be forgetting a car type, but I believe the R188 may become the only train car to stay on one line the whole time. I don't see an R188 going on any other line besides the (7). Maybe it goes on the Dyre Ave Line during Late Nights a couple of times ( Like the R143 and the (M) ).

Why would they send the cars all the way there for a shuttle service? The R36 WF Remained its whole life on the (7), Infact the R62A was the first time ever the (7) Got a hand me down set, The (7) Was suppose to always be the line that would get new cars. Usually the cars might stay there the whole life.

Why would they send the cars all the way there for a shuttle service? The R36 WF Remained its whole life on the (7), Infact the R62A was the first time ever the (7) Got a hand me down set, The (7) Was suppose to always be the line that would get new cars. Usually the cars might stay there the whole life.

To be honest, as a kid I did see some R36 WF sets on the (6) on rare occasions. But this was in the 90's. I was quite suprised when I saw it and was asking myself the same question: Wait a minute.... they are assigned to the (7) , what are they doing outside Corona Yard?

To be honest, as a kid I did see some R36 WF sets on the (6) on rare occasions. But this was in the 90's. I was quite suprised when I saw it and was asking myself the same question: Wait a minute.... they are assigned to the (7) , what are they doing outside Corona Yard?

When I was young, I saw the same thing. I didn't know the real differences between trains, just cosmetics, wit the R36WF on the (6) was enough for me to go, "What is that train? I want to ride it!". As soon as I got home, I told my foster mom about it lol me at 6.

Edited by LTA1992

With the recent graffiti on trains, I've always wondered if the R188 will face the same problems as the R160 when it comes to cleaning the mess. In a video I've seen about touring the Kawasaki plant, a person mentioned that if they tag the R188's, the graffiti will apparently wipe right off. Apparently, that is not the case for the R160's. My question is, is that true? Does graffiti wipe right off the stainless steel of R188's?

The reason why they were on the (6) was because carona had more than enough R36WF cars so those extras went the (6), before GOH the extra cars were on the 1,3 and 4 lines and after GOH on the 6, these cars were on the 2,4/5 when their mainline cars went for GOH in the 80's and these were on the 4 for a brief time in the mid 90's

The reason why they were on the (6) was because carona had more than enough R36WF cars so those extras went the (6), before GOH the extra cars were on the 1,3 and 4 lines and after GOH on the 6, these cars were on the 2,4/5 when their mainline cars went for GOH in the 80's and these were on the 4 for a brief time in the mid 90's

Ok I see, thanks for clarifying for me the way redbirds were assigned to the appropriate lines back then. Never looked at it that way. Makes sense.

When I was young, I saw the same thing. I didn't know the real differences between trains, just cosmetics, wit the R36WF on the (6) was enough for me to go, "What is that train? I want to ride it!". As soon as I got home, I told my foster mom about it lol me at 6.

Werd. I've always thought it was mad cool to see the R36's hitting up the (6) along with the usual R62A's back in the days.

Ok I see, thanks for clarifying for me the way redbirds were assigned to the appropriate lines back then. Never looked at it that way. Makes sense.

Werd. I've always thought it was mad cool to see the R36's hitting up the (6) along with the usual R62A's back in the days.

On top of what R32 said, the R36 cars on the (6) were the last cars to have the orange door paint scheme, which was used in the 80s to combat the graffiti epidemic. That paint scheme for the doors lasted into the mid 90s.

Does anyone else think the r188 will ever be on a line other than the (7)

Nothing's impossible, but it's highly unlikely they'll make an appearance on another line unless something catastrophic happens to the equipment on the line in question.

Does anyone else think the r188 will ever be on a line other than the (7)

No. Because the 7 is the only IRT line to run 11 cars.

Are there some 5 car sets of 188s? Yes half the fleet. But to run those 5 car sets together as a 10 car train on any other line would render the remaining 6 car sets useless for service on the 7 line hence leaving the 7 line with no rolling stock to provide service.

Just to cut someone off ahead of the suggestion someone may say that another line could borrow a 5 car 188 set to run together with a 142A set on the 4 or 6 lines. To which I will say it will not happen. One is CBTC optimized and the other is not. The electric portions may line up but glitches would be likely.

I wouldn't say no that fast. The R188s will be here into the 2050s, most likely. Maybe even the 2060s. [Which blows my mind.] Entire system will probably be optimized with some more advanced system by then and stuff like CBTC will no longer be as limiting as it is now. So yeah, I'd bet they will at some point. 

I wouldn't say no that fast. The R188s will be here into the 2050s, most likely. Maybe even the 2060s. [Which blows my mind.] Entire system will probably be optimized with some more advanced system by then and stuff like CBTC will no longer be as limiting as it is now. So yeah, I'd bet they will at some point. 

The (7) and (L) systems are vendor-locked and are completely incompatible; the only reason they were implemented was so that the MTA could gather enough data to specify a CBTC standard for the rest of the system. This new standard will probably end up being incompatible with either one, although it may be similar to some extent.

Keep in mind that CBTC is a lot more limiting than traditional signalling; with the current signals, it doesn't really matter if different signals exist along the same line, because all you need is a operator who can interpret these signals correctly. CBTC utilizes cab signalling, which means that train cars and CBTC systems will be unique to each other. This hasn't been a problem in other cities because no system is as large or as interlined, so it doesn't really matter if different lines operate different systems because cars do not switch between lines on a regular basis. In New York, every line is heavily interlined, and the system is so big that you couldn't possibly hope to replace the entire signalling system at once (the backlog from the deferred maintenance period is still quite high).

We will likely end up with a separate class of cars for the (L) and a separate class for the (7), and 'standard' signalling cars for everyone else.

Just to cut someone off ahead of the suggestion someone may say that another line could borrow a 5 car 188 set to run together with a 142A set on the 4 or 6 lines. To which I will say it will not happen. One is CBTC optimized and the other is not. The electric portions may line up but glitches would be likely.

Well what about in CBTC bypass mode? Idk if a 142A is even compatible with an 188, but I have seen CBTC R160s mixed with non-CBTC R160s on the (J)(M)(Z) quite a few times