MTA Bus Operations: Deliveries, Moves & Transfers

T J Trainman
Message added by Cait Sith

This TOPIC is strictly for bus deliveries, moves & transfers.

Any discussion related to these moves should be done in the MTA Bus Operations: Fleets and Depots and Bus - Random Thoughts threads.

Well, that's simple enough to explain. By rejected routes, I simply mean that  those were the routes that their original depots no longer had room for (or maybe the depots that they came from just felt that these routes were not able to get the service that they needed due to heavier lines). For example, in the case of the B47, the Flatbush Depot could not maintain the route due to its heavy obligations to the ''Big Three'' (B41/B41 Ltd., B44/B44Ltd., and B46/B46Ltd.). Furthermore, it also seems to me  that GA needed some buses from somewhere, so the B47 going over allowed them to access all, if not most of Flatbush's 94xxs.

In the case of rejected buses, when GA first opened in 2008, they received the oldest buses in the system at the time. They had Flatbush/ENY's '91 TMCs, as well as Jackie Gleason's '93 TMCs, just to name a few. They also received some '96 Novas at that time. I understand that all buses are aged at a certain point, but with the exception of the NGs that they received off the line in 2010, everything was simply handed down. Although I loved those buses and the Orion Vs that recently defected from Staten Island, they were mostly old, outdated, and frankly, not favored by many.

Hopefully, though, having said all that, I do hope that GA gets the '96 Novas again. If for no other reason than to trade out some of those 94xxs that have been there since the depot opened.

Edited by Micstromme

• Replies 36k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The irony here is this is exactly what I fell in love with the depot for. On these routes, you could get a bunch of different things that had long left the other depots. It sucks that GA downsized and got saddled with a bunch of '97 Novas and then just the NGs. At least if they wanted to, the TA could trade out some of the '98s for some '96s or even some more Orion Vs. To me, variety is good.

Now, hopefully Gleason will catch on and do the same thing.

And the B43 and 51.

Can't forget about the B61 and how that whole thing ended.

The irony here is this is exactly what I fell in love with the depot for. On these routes, you could get a bunch of different things that had long left the other depots. It sucks that GA downsized and got saddled with a bunch of '97 Novas and then just the NGs. At least if they wanted to, the TA could trade out some of the '98s for some '96s or even some more Orion Vs. To me, variety is good.

Now, hopefully Gleason will catch on and do the same thing.

Well there's only 2 types of CNG buses in the city (not counting the Orion Vs, ain't enough of them to fill 1/8 of a depot), so your choices are very slim since its an all CNG depot now.

It ain't like West Farms where they could get the RTS again (or any diesel bus for that matter) if they really needed it...

I always liked how at a time, both Bklyn-Manhattan Local Routes, the B39 and the B51, were run out of the Grand Avenue Depot. Instead of letting the B51 return to Gleason from ENY, they decided to let the new depot on the block have it. Interesting.

Its just too bad that route will not be returning to the Downtown Brooklyn Area.

I always liked how at a time, both Bklyn-Manhattan Local Routes, the B39 and the B51, were run out of the Grand Avenue Depot. Instead of letting the B51 return to Gleason from ENY, they decided to let the new depot on the block have it. Interesting.

Its just too bad that route will not be returning to the Downtown Brooklyn Area.

The routes that run out of the depot now is the B13,B24,B32,B38(split with FP),B47,B48,B57,B60,B62,Q59

From I've read on this forum, CNG buses are not allowed on the Manhattan Bridge.

Never heard of that. Definitely went on the window when Sandy came too. The only bridge restriction I'm aware of is the Brooklyn Bridge.

No it actually has some merit to it, as i heard the same thing

The story goes that there was a CNG RTS on the upper level of the bridge (I think it was a Command unit) and it hit a bump and the tank hit the bridge tower when it went under it and exploded.

Yeah that whole thing went out the window after the hurricane but if you look at it, all buses used the lower roadway

Don't know if reported  but 327 JG - WF. Don't know why Gleason is losing buses, hopefully they're getting ones in return.

320-329 have been there for between a few weeks and a few months now. 330 also made the move to the Bronx. The reason for this is that almost all of Gleason's buses now have BusTime beacons on them, enabling any bus to be placed on the B61 or B63.

320-329 have been there for between a few weeks and a few months now. 330 also made the move to the Bronx. The reason for this is that almost all of Gleason's buses now have BusTime beacons on them, enabling any bus to be placed on the B61 or B63.

Well 320-324 have been there for a few months. Didn't know about 325-330 going there.. And I don't think the bus time has anything to do with it... It was MANDATORY for all buses to get their GPS activated on them. The Bronx has theirs, they send guys out there in company/private cars and they get them processed. They do it at night though, that's what they were doing here at Ulmer Park. The people would come at night,, 3 guys per (4) buses a night. But there was a Memo that all buses in the Bronx get their GPS activated, you could be right but I don't think the bus time had anything to do with it.

Well 320-324 have been there for a few months. Didn't know about 325-330 going there.. And I don't think the bus time has anything to do with it... It was MANDATORY for all buses to get their GPS activated on them. The Bronx has theirs, they send guys out there in company/private cars and they get them processed. They do it at night though, that's what they were doing here at Ulmer Park. The people would come at night,, 3 guys per (4) buses a night. But there was a Memo that all buses in the Bronx get their GPS activated, you could be right but I don't think the bus time had anything to do with it.

I also feel the same way. I know a number of WF buses are at the vendor along with some being prepped for overhaul. I don't think this BusTime scenario is the reason.

Edited by Kingsbridgeviewer382

That then begs the question: why has 126 Street not activated or installed BusTime beacons on 1300, 4705, and 4708? (1300 has a BusTime ad on the front.)

That then begs the question: why has 126 Street not activated or installed BusTime beacons on 1300, 4705, and 4708? (1300 has a BusTime ad on the front.)

Well because.. Those buses aren't staying. Why put gps on buses that aren't staying. They're just here for a short period of time. Just because the ad is on there doesn't mean they have gps or will get gps they're just advertising. That's like when the gps first got activated on 320-345. 346 had a GPS ad and it was never activated. Plus, private contractors come along and change ads on buses they don't know any better lol.