R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

[

One of the more interesting things I never can understand with these things is why, despite the fact we are forbidden to use the "left door open" controls on the console, they continue to be included on all new orders. Wondering if this is a standard feature on most contracts for non-NYC, and if the manufacturer insists on including it to keep costs down.

Even instructors at school car pointed this out

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Edited by Far Rock Depot

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where did you get they are CBTC-equipped?

I remember hearing at the recent board meetings that every train R179 and newer will arrive CBTC ready. I believe it was in either May or June when they were asking a billion questions about the Corona and QBL CBTC projects.

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seeing as I've been in the train and walked around, I'm not too concerned about what somebody made for BVE...

They are set up for CBTC with all relevant controls, circuit breakers, secondary TOD screen, and ATO start. Whether or not they are "equipped" is a software issue not visible to the naked eye on a just delivered train.

One of the more interesting things I never can understand with these things is why, despite the fact we are forbidden to use the "left door open" controls on the console, they continue to be included on all new orders. Wondering if this is a standard feature on most contracts for non-NYC, and if the manufacturer insists on including it to keep costs down.

Is that because that's the side you can't see at the time? And is there anything that keeps conductors from opening that side by accident?

They are set up for CBTC with all relevant controls, circuit breakers, secondary TOD screen, and ATO start. Whether or not they are "equipped" is a software issue not visible to the naked eye on a just delivered train.

What I understood, was that this was a provision for a system that would include cameras that would allow the T/O to open either side without getting up and going to the other side. (Like LRV's have). My first thing, was, that's what the extra TOD screen could be used for, but then I was told that would have to add a new screen (which would be placed up, like near the sun visor or something). 

Not sure when, or if they are ever going to go with that, but they do include the capability to allow the possibility of doing that.

This has been actively spec'd for on all NTT orders. In the future, policy can change and those could be used.

Not gonna say much more in a public forum.

Is that because that's the side you can't see at the time? And is there anything that keeps conductors from opening that side by accident?

The left door open is designed for T/O's in OPTO service to open the offside from the console. It is NOT for the conductor.

Current policy is for OPTO T/O's not to use it. It's also unclear exactly how it works (as a procedure), because there is no associated close control other than turning the key which is a complete no no.

The interiors look like R142s and the bottom of the trucks are different and the heaters are different...Also these cars look like they have R160B - Like shells. The single Corrugation along the truck is thicker. (As far as I can notice from pictures)

Edited by VIP

The left door open is designed for T/O's in OPTO service to open the offside from the console. It is NOT for the conductor.

Current policy is for OPTO T/O's not to use it. It's also unclear exactly how it works (as a procedure), because there is no associated close control other than turning the key which is a complete no no.

Sure there is a close button. It's under the open button (you can see that on the 179 video, where it's the same. But don't feel bad. I'm just now recently realizing there's another buzzer button right above that).

Edited by Eric B