SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Each time it was proposed the communities themselves told the (MTA) where to stick their throughput ideas. Most posters are probably not old enough to know that the (2) was the original Dyre service when the line was connected at East 180th St. During the am rush everyone changed at East 180th St for the Lex The last time this proposal came up it was determined that the segment south of East 180th St wanted Seventh Avenue service more than the Lexington service the (MTA) plan would provide. The Dyre clientele definately didn't want Seventh Avenue service up there. The WPR folks were more varied but one must realize demographics have changed over the years, in the Bronx and Westchester County. Those folks up at the northern end of WPR, especially Nereid and 241 St have always had East Side service during the rush hours whether by today's (5) from Nereid/241 St and the Third Avenue El from 241St back in the day. That's the reason those (5) rush hour trains still exist. Upper WPR and Westchester people want that service to continue in the rush hours. I'm surprised they haven't demanded the original service pattern where those  Lexington " Thru Express" trains ran totally express in the Bronx stopping at Gun Hill, East 180th, Third Ave-149th and Grand Concourse while the El trains stopped at Gun Hill lower and then express down Third Avenue to Manhattan. That's actually why I want the SAS to be extended to the Bronx, moreso than my beloved Brooklyn, where it would connect to an extended Concourse (D) and head east toward Co-op and Pelham. It just seems obvious, at least to me, that that should be the focus of any expansion plans going forward with the SAS . That and a Queens Blvd connection. I'm pessimistic that the politicians involved, and the (MTA) can ever finish any project, Archer Avenue leaves a bitter taste in my mouth to this day, much less what we railfans and commuters want and need. Sometimes I read the proposals some of you have come up with and I realize that the same or similar ideas came up two or three generations ago yet here we are still debating them. Read a book called " The Routes not Taken" if you haven't already and you'll see why I have little or no faith in any local politician or the (MTA) to actually look at the big picture of mass transportation in the metropolitan region. Excuse my rant. Carry on.

Here is the brochure from 1965 when the service pattern changed:

irt-svc-1965-04-18-1.gifirt-svc-1965-04-18-2.gif

irt-svc-1965-04-18-3.gif

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw a trainset (9348-9352) on the (E) that has the sign moving from left to right (as if it was scrolling). Anyone knows what that's about?

The sign use to say "QUEENS BLVD EXP" but now it says "QUEENS BLVD EXPRESS" and the rollsign doesn't have enough room to display the latter text in a single line.

I haven't posted anything on these forums in a very long time. So with that said...

I always enjoy watching express trains rush past local stations. My favorite viewing areas include the 59th Street-Columbus Circle station on the (1) line in Manhattan and the Woodhaven Boulevard station on the (M) and (R) lines in Queens.

Skip Stop works if you are all traveling to one place(Midtown) for those intermediate riders, they may have to transfer between the (1) and the (9), effectively doubling their travel time

. The (9) should come back as a rush hours only train and only stop at 242 St, Dyckman St, 191 St, 181 St, 168 St, 157 St, 96 St, 72 St, Columbus Circle (and make it express stop), Times Sq, Penn Station, 14 St, Chambers St, Cortlandt St, Rector St, and South Ferry. Also with the (Z), it should be rush hours only and stop at ALL Manhattan stops, Myrtle Av, Broadway Junction, and ALL stops past there, unless you can make a third track there in which case keep the current (Z) stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

. The (9) should come back as a rush hours only train and only stop at 242 St, Dyckman St, 191 St, 181 St, 168 St, 157 St, 96 St, 72 St, Columbus Circle (and make it express stop), Times Sq, Penn Station, 14 St, Chambers St, Cortlandt St, Rector St, and South Ferry. Also with the (Z), it should be rush hours only and stop at ALL Manhattan stops, Myrtle Av, Broadway Junction, and ALL stops past there, unless you can make a third track there in which case keep the current (Z) stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be incredibly difficult to make Columbus Circle express. You'd have to effectively shut down service on the (1)(2)(3) for months at a time, and completely reroute tracks, or make trains bypass 66th and 50th while on the local track, which is pointless, confusing, and would lead to incredible traffic and delays. Also, you should definitely add 125th St to that list, it's a major station and the line shouldn't go 60 blocks without stopping.

The current (Z) system works very well, since almost everyone commuting is commuting into Manhattan (or vice versa in the PM), and trains come frequently enough that it isn't a pain.

Okay, I get that people like the  (9). TBH its my favorite numbered line. I get it.

But we really need to stop with the whole "finding outlandish ways to bring back my favorite line so I can see that 9 in a red circle again" thing...

Edited by Around the Horn

Okay, I get that people like the  (9). TBH its my favorite numbered line. I get it.

But we really need to stop with the whole "finding outlandish ways to bring back my favorite line so I can see that 9 in a red circle again" thing...

I couldn't agree more. 

However, there is something to be said for express service between, say, 137th and 96th (157th to 96th is too far). You have a center track in that stretch, and one could run locals from 137th yard to cover service losses. (I'm thinking maybe 2/3 of trains from the bx would go express..?) 

This would help reduce crowding and travel times. 

I couldn't agree more. 

However, there is something to be said for express service between, say, 137th and 96th (157th to 96th is too far). You have a center track in that stretch, and one could run locals from 137th yard to cover service losses. (I'm thinking maybe 2/3 of trains from the bx would go express..?) 

This would help reduce crowding and travel times.

Off the top of my head I have a few questions about this plan. What's the ridership of those stations north of 145th St? How much of an increase in passenger load since the (9) met it's deserved demise? What about the people who want disembark at stations between 137th and 103rd St ? In other words that person may have a one out of three chance of being on the " right " train if I'm looking at this right. Meanwhile the express is switching south of 137th and south of 103rd. How much time do you figure this train is saving or is the goal reducing crowding? I'm asking because I don't know the ridership numbers of the bypassed stations offhand but in the past those bypassed stops had more riders than all of the other northern stations except 168th St. We had a system before the advent of the (9) where alternate trains started and ended their runs at 137th except at the beginning of the am rush hour and at the end of the pm rush. Under the express proposal how would the trains and crews be kept in place ? In other words what happens when you end up with two or three trains and crews scheduled for one terminal back to back ? I'm asking because I've seen it happen before with the 137-242 split where one terminal is short of crews and equipment and the other is overloaded with finishing crews and no personnel or place to put the extras. It's a somewhat similar scenario that happens to those (5) riders who are waiting for those Nereid trains in the pm rush. IDK how many times I've sat at Flatbush or Utica or out of the way in Nevins spur/BG loop and heard those Nereid trips being skipped over because the other available crews were needed for more important trips. That's the main reason why your plan would be looked at negatively. Trains or crews out of place for any reason is something to be avoided if possible. There are limits on the amount of time a train crew is allowed to work daily (federal) and any non-scheduled overtime gets scrutinized with a fine tooth comb. The days when I could tell a dispatcher " I'm going that way and I'll take the train to 137 or 180 for you " are long gone. That's the way I see this playing out. Right or wrong IDK but that's how they think these days. Carry on.

I have no idea why everyone wants to bring back the (9). 103 St, 110 St, 116 St, and 137 St are all top 120 in ridership, and 125 St ridership is likely to increase as Columbia builds out its second campus, so running express on that stretch is really not recommended. Lots of college students living uptown take the (1) south to get to school.

Just for kicks for the (D) and (F) GO:

D CONEY ISLAND

D 8 AV EXP

D CULVER LCL

D NORWOOD-205 ST

D 8 AV EXP

D CONCOURSE LCL

F CONEY ISLAND

F BROADWAY EXP

F WEST END LCL

F JAMAICA-179 ST

F BROADWAY EXP

F QUEENS BLVD EXP

Northbound Fox seems like real good express run

D CONEY ISLAND

D 8 AV EXP

D CULVER LCL

D NORWOOD-205 ST

D 8 AV EXP

D CONCOURSE LCL

F CONEY ISLAND

F BROADWAY EXP

F WEST END LCL

F JAMAICA-179 ST

F BROADWAY EXP

F QUEENS BLVD EXP

This is probably the foamer in me, but I really want the (D) and (F) to swap their trains for that G.O. (fingers crossed for R160s in the Bronx...)

F CONEY ISLAND

F BROADWAY EXP

F WEST END LCL

F JAMAICA-179 ST

F BROADWAY EXP

F QUEENS BLVD EXP

The FIND for the (F) reads "via Broadway" so I assume it would be:

F CONEY ISLAND 

F VIA BROADWAY

F VIA WEST END

F JAMAICA-179 ST

F VIA BROADWAY

F QUEENS BLVD EXP

The (1) has been a mess period.

I totally agree. On Thursday at 23 St at about 6:30 PM, I was waiting for a southbound (1) that took 15 minutes to come. During that time, I think there were one or two trains that bypassed the station and were jam-packed.

It's honestly like this every other day I take the (1) . Northbound is a little better, if you consider actually stopping at the station as an improvement.

I notice that someone uploaded a video of a combination of a R160 siemens testing on the (N) and a 10-car R179 testing in Broad channel. The person who uploaded the video goes by the name of "Shamari Kinsey". The original video with the R160 siemens testing on the (N) belongs to Caitsith810, which was uploaded on December 12, 2007. The other original video with the 10-car R179 belongs to gregorygrice, which was uploaded on December 21, 2016. The video description said "Thanks to Catisith810 and gregorygrice for the testing. Not only subscribe my channel, but also those channels." I don't know why this person decide to upload this video and I am not sure if he even ask Caitsith810 nor gregoryrice for the videos. Is this consider stealing?

Uploaded by: Shamari Kinsey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZPPDMdRRrE

I notice that someone uploaded a video of a combination of a R160 siemens testing on the (N) and a 10-car R179 testing in Broad channel. The person who uploaded the video goes by the name of "Shamari Kinsey". The original video with the R160 siemens testing on the (N) belongs to Caitsith810, which was uploaded on December 12, 2007. The other original video with the 10-car R179 belongs to gregorygrice, which was uploaded on December 21, 2016. The video description said "Thanks to Catisith810 and gregorygrice for the testing. Not only subscribe my channel, but also those channels." I don't know why this person decide to upload this video and I am not sure if he even ask Caitsith810 nor gregoryrice for the videos. Is this consider stealing?

Uploaded by: Shamari Kinsey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZPPDMdRRrE

Without permission, yes, it's illegal and should be removed from the site.

YouTube's official website (https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2797449?hl=en) says, 

If you plan to include copyright-protected material in your video, you’ll generally need to seek permission to do so first. YouTube cannot grant you these rights and we are unable to assist you in finding and contacting the parties who may be able to grant them to you. This is something you’ll have to research and handle on your own or with the assistance of a lawyer.

For example, YouTube cannot grant you the rights to use content that has already been uploaded to the site. If you wish to use someone else’s YouTube video, you may want to reach out to them via our messaging feature.

----

Also, did anyone see R62A #'s 2221-2225 (I think) on the (6) with the red stripes under the car-number decals? Why is the (6) using (1) train R62As without the LEDs?

Edited by agar io