SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonight, a conductor swore his (F) train was going to Coney Island, but a supervisor made him clear the train out to be turned back to Manhattan. But I knew something was fishy since the train behind was signed-up as Kings Highway-bound. No way they would send two (F) trains to Kings Highway without an intervening Coney Island-bound train, right? After wasting 10 minutes of my time, somebody figured out that the train was actually bound for Coney Island after all. The train was on its merry way again.

Who is the best person to write to about the R train? I mean I get the fact that it's a long line, but waiting while five N trains pass by is inexcusable.

I'd send at least one (N) train local to 59th Street (maybe a (D) to 36th also) and send the next couple of (R) 's on the Express Track to catch up and pick up the crowd waiting to go to Bay Ridge.  Is that feasible?

Have they added more timers along the Fulton St line? I've been making a ton of trips to/from JFK on the (A) and I swear the (A) used to fly down the Fulton express tracks but has felt a lot slower recently...

They should rename Fulton St to "Timer St" 

This is a purely theoretical question. What conditions would be required on a subway line to allow its trains to run at very high speeds of 75-90 mph? (Assuming the subway cars are able to do so.)

Edited by P3F

is there any chance that R32'S will come back on the queens blvd line.

It's highly unlikely. If they were to return to the Queens Blvd line, they'd have to run on the (E) and/or (F). The high demands of both lines would be too much for these old cars. It would be better to keep them relegated to part-time service, which is why this rumor of them being shifted to the (B) comes up every so often.

Tonight, a conductor swore his (F) train was going to Coney Island, but a supervisor made him clear the train out to be turned back to Manhattan. But I knew something was fishy since the train behind was signed-up as Kings Highway-bound. No way they would send two (F) trains to Kings Highway without an intervening Coney Island-bound train, right? After wasting 10 minutes of my time, somebody figured out that the train was actually bound for Coney Island after all. The train was on its merry way again.

Stuff like that wastes everyone's time. And it's not like dispatch is operating blind here. They have a list of the runs right in front of them.

I'd send at least one (N) train local to 59th Street (maybe a (D) to 36th also) and send the next couple of (R) 's on the Express Track to catch up and pick up the crowd waiting to go to Bay Ridge.  Is that feasible?

As I've said previously, the (R) is too long to handle the lines it serves on its own, especially 4th Avenue, where it's the sole local. It needs some help, and the constant merging it does with other lines do not help matters in the slightest. The question remains though, what to do to remedy this problem. And no, cutting the (R) back to Manhattan and sending the (J) in its steed is not the answer either. That just shifts the problem from one long line to another. I feel there are a few things that could be done, even without a boatload of extra subway cars available.

First off, there needs to be better dispatching of (R) trains. There should not be these instances where there are several express trains for every local. If an (R) train is held up somewhere, some (N) trains (and possibly some (D) trains as well, depending on need) should run local to compensate. It doesn't help riders south of 59 Street, but there's no reason why all local stops should suffer and watch expresses fly by.

Second, weekend (R) service should not run in Queens when there is work being done on the Queens Blvd line. I know that's a complete reversal from my earlier stance and it's not something I came to lightly. I'm not entirely in favor of removing a third of service on Queens Blvd, especially when service is already depleted so much because of weekend construction, but to keep the rest of the line running at optimal efficiency, I feel it's something that should be considered. On the Brooklyn end, I feel that the (N) should run local between DeKalb Av and 59 Street during weekend daytime and evening hours to help out the (R).

In the long-term, I would see about creating a new 4th Avenue local service that runs with the (R). Whether that line runs down Broadway or Nassau St is another issue though. Another Broadway route will pretty much have the same problems the (R) currently sees whereas a Nassau St route avoids most riders' destinations. Decisions...

There is really no silver bullet that will solve the problem plaguing the (R) line without affecting other riders.

This is a purely theoretical question. What conditions would be required on a subway line to allow its trains to run at very high speeds of 75-90 mph? (Assuming the subway cars are able to do so.)

Long stretches of straightaways without any stations, timers or switches. If there were any curves, they'd have to be gentle enough to maintain those high speeds. As those parameters are not met here, the fastest the trains can run is about 60 mph and that's usually in the tunnels.

Long stretches of straightaways without any stations, timers or switches. If there were any curves, they'd have to be gentle enough to maintain those high speeds. As those parameters are not met here, the fastest the trains can run is about 60 mph and that's usually in the tunnels.

Assuming it is a four track line with the high-speed tracks being the express ones, would it be required for the express tracks to be on a separate level (or simply heavily divided from the other tracks), or would a standard setup with the columns in between tracks work?

Assuming it is a four track line with the high-speed tracks being the express ones, would it be required for the express tracks to be on a separate level (or simply heavily divided from the other tracks), or would a standard setup with the columns in between tracks work?

I'm not an engineer, so I can't say with any degree of certainty, but I don't believe it matters. I'd rather it be completely separated from any local tracks though.

I have seen several illegal and annoying things on the subway lately.

On Wednesday, as I was about to get onto an (E) at Kew Gardens at about 2:15 PM, someone was smoking an electronic cigarette. I asked them to stop, and the person quickly showed me a card, and he said that he was a police officer. I told him that he couldn't do that. As I was in the car, some idiot was standing between cars smoking. At 71st Avenue, me and my brother quickly went two cars down the train. As we were walking in, four people doing showtime came in. At the same time, a beggar came in. I also saw a beggar in the next car over. As we left the train at Roosevelt, I saw two people about to do showtime.

Last week WED someone smoking on LIRR platform. I asked them to stop and they called my a butt opening. This week two people on the LIRR platform were smoking and I said "Really?"

Yesterday, in a slightly crowded train–there were plenty of standees, some people were wondering whether they should do Showtime. As they were considering it, another person and myself moved into the center area of the car where they like to do their "routine", preventing them from using that area. As you guys probably know, these guys like to fist bump people. They wanted to do it to me and I refused, so they gave me the middle finger. They were not able to really do wanted, and they got no money.

Today I saw people doing showtime on the (E) again. The music was on extremely loud!

I hate it! These people are being obnoxious, rude, and selfish. People are tired, and annoyed; they are coming from work or going to work and people are not in the mood for these things. They often nearly kick people in the face and hurt people. They also bother Train Operators. Once, when there was Showtime in the first car, the T/O came out of the cab at a red signal and told them to stop. Most of the time they are not able to. I really feel bad when the T/O is trying to safely operate the train, when there is full blasting, distracting "music" playing in the background. The police should really see the (E) between 1:30 and 3:30 PM. That is when these people are out. I keep seeing the same people.

Today I saw people doing showtime on the (E) again. The music was on extremely loud!

I hate it! These people are being obnoxious, rude, and selfish. People are tired, and annoyed; they are coming from work or going to work and people are not in the mood for these things. They often nearly kick people in the face and hurt people. They also bother Train Operators. Once, when there was Showtime in the first car, the T/O came out of the cab at a red signal and told them to stop. Most of the time they are not able to. I really feel bad when the T/O is trying to safely operate the train, when there is full blasting, distracting "music" playing in the background. The police should really see the (E) between 1:30 and 3:30 PM. That is when these people are out. I keep seeing the same people.

My issue with the showtime people is not the routine they perform, but the fact they do it on a train. I mean, breakdance all you want at say the mezzanine in 34th Street. They'd probably make more money there anyway.

I will say I do like the drummers who come on the (F) sometimes, and the singers... A burst of positive energy!

(Also, good lord those Queens bound (E) and (F) trains are crowded! And I thought the rush hour (R) after 59 Street was bad...)

There's only so many popular stations in the subway where the showtime kids can do their routine, them fighting over the space would be an issue, and these stations usually have a higher police presence. Plus performers from the MTA "Arts for Transit" are legally allowed to perform at many of the open areas at the busiest stations. So those spots probably wouldn't be available at peak times anyways.

In the long-term, I would see about creating a new 4th Avenue local service that runs with the (R). Whether that line runs down Broadway or Nassau St is another issue though. Another Broadway route will pretty much have the same problems the (R) currently sees whereas a Nassau St route avoids most riders' destinations. Decisions...

There is really no silver bullet that will solve the problem plaguing the (R) line without affecting other riders.

That is true, but that was one of the reasons I came up with the idea of have the (Z) become its own line, running 24/7 between 95th Street and Chambers Street (terminating at Chambers on the uptown "local" track and starting on the downtown "local" track) while the (J) is mostly truncated to Chambers, terminating and beginning on the "express" tracks there (in this case, it would be set up where the train beginning its route is always waiting for the terminating train to come in before pulling out, with the (Z) only switching tracks at Chambers once the (J) to Archer leaves.  The exception to the (J) being truncated to Chambers would be this:

As this (Z) would have a max of 8 TPH, during rush hours, four (J) trains per hour would be extended to Broad Street and terminate there (keeping the (J) at its current 12 TPH max).  

Doing such eliminates the need for the (R) shuttle late nights since (Z) riders can switch to the (N) anywhere between 59th and Court Street if they are specifically looking for the (1) at Whitehall and otherwise can switch to the (A) at EITHER Jay-Metrotech OR Fulton Street and the (2) at Fulton Street during those times.  

That is true, but that was one of the reasons I came up with the idea of have the (Z) become its own line, running 24/7 between 95th Street and Chambers Street (terminating at Chambers on the uptown "local" track and starting on the downtown "local" track) while the (J) is mostly truncated to Chambers, terminating and beginning on the "express" tracks there (in this case, it would be set up where the train beginning its route is always waiting for the terminating train to come in before pulling out, with the (Z) only switching tracks at Chambers once the (J) to Archer leaves.  The exception to the (J) being truncated to Chambers would be this:

As this (Z) would have a max of 8 TPH, during rush hours, four (J) trains per hour would be extended to Broad Street and terminate there (keeping the (J) at its current 12 TPH max).  

Doing such eliminates the need for the (R) shuttle late nights since (Z) riders can switch to the (N) anywhere between 59th and Court Street if they are specifically looking for the (1) at Whitehall and otherwise can switch to the (A) at EITHER Jay-Metrotech OR Fulton Street and the (2) at Fulton Street during those times.  

I'd be up for this, however I'd keep the (J) and (Z) together, and use a different letter (K?), for the 95th Street service. Since the R211's are still in the planning stages, you can convert some of the option cars to 4 car sets, to cover the new line. The frequency can also increase because the (Z) , as you call it only shares tracks with the (J) at Chambers. You could run the line out of East New York and Coney Island yards.

Saw workers sawing and working on the underneath of the 25 Av (D) station tonight at around 8:30 pm. There are also new metal plates installed beyond the ends of the staircases that lead into the station (they look very temporary). My guess is that they're replacing parts of the station which requires breaking into part of the station floor, which got covered by the temporary plates.

Edited by YungMarxian

On Wednesday, as I was about to get onto an (E) at Kew Gardens at about 2:15 PM, someone was smoking an electronic cigarette. I asked them to stop, and the person quickly showed me a card, and he said that he was a police officer. I told him that he couldn't do that. As I was in the car, some idiot was standing between cars smoking. At 71st Avenue, me and my brother quickly went two cars down the train. As we were walking in, four people doing showtime came in. At the same time, a beggar came in. I also saw a beggar in the next car over. As we left the train at Roosevelt, I saw two people about to do showtime.

Last week WED someone smoking on LIRR platform. I asked them to stop and they called my a butt opening. This week two people on the LIRR platform were smoking and I said "Really?"

Yesterday, in a slightly crowded train–there were plenty of standees, some people were wondering whether they should do Showtime. As they were considering it, another person and myself moved into the center area of the car where they like to do their "routine", preventing them from using that area. As you guys probably know, these guys like to fist bump people. They wanted to do it to me and I refused, so they gave me the middle finger. They were not able to really do wanted, and they got no money.

Even if they're doing some against the rules, getting in their face about it is never a good idea. There was a time not so long ago in this city (pre-2005) when speaking up was liable to get a person jumped, or worse.  Like this one time in the '90s when a neighbor asked some kids to stop drinking at the corner they came back later that night and set fire to the building's dumpster- street smelled like fried garbage for weeks...

I'd be up for this, however I'd keep the (J) and (Z) together, and use a different letter (K?), for the 95th Street service. Since the R211's are still in the planning stages, you can convert some of the option cars to 4 car sets, to cover the new line. The frequency can also increase because the (Z) , as you call it only shares tracks with the (J) at Chambers. You could run the line out of East New York and Coney Island yards.

Yeah, that is the one issue with this.  I previously came up with the idea that the (J) during the skip-stop period could be marked (J1) or (J2) with J1 being what the (J) currently serves on skip-stop and (J2) being what the (Z) serves then, with 2 TPH of each during rush hours making up the four (J) trains per hour (when the (J) is running 12 TPH)  extended to/from Broad Street.

Same here bro. I do not like it when people do stuff like that. As for the smoking part, I can relate to that. Just recently I was on a South Ferry-bound (1) train heading to school with my sister taking me. As we both entered the train in the 9th car, a person was smoking a cigarette and was lying on the Priority Seating section. It made that part of the car smell like a smoking room. Looking down at the floor, there was numerous of other cigarettes he had smoked.

Other than that, I wonder what the (MTA) is doing to the cross over tracks on the tracks north of 96th Street. Right now there's a 10MPH slow speed order for the (2) & (3) in both directions (Brooklyn-bound approaching & uptown-bound departing).

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Why is the (N) signed as Sea Beach Express when there's only one set of rails that are used anyway? And if they were to use the center rail for revenue service (aside from current use with the station rehab), the current (N) 's route would be the local variant of sea beach.

My guess is it's the MTA's way of implying the (N) runs express on 4 Av (why not just say Astoria Local, Broadway Local, 4 Av Express, Sea Beach Local on the LED display though? Is it too wordy?).

Edited by YungMarxian

Why is the (N) signed as Sea Beach Express when there's only one set of rails that are used anyway? And if they were to use the center rail for revenue service (aside from current use with the station rehab), the current (N) 's route would be the local variant of sea beach.

My guess is it's the MTA's way of implying the (N) runs express on 4 Av (why not just say Astoria Local, Broadway Local, 4 Av Express, Sea Beach Local on the LED display though? Is it too wordy?).

Actually, I believe that the Coney Island bound trains say Sea Beach Local due to the renovations on the Manhattan bound side of the local tracks only. I'm not sure why they don't include 4TH AV EXPRESS. I can't really think of a line with 4 lines of text on the LED's. Edited by Tonyboy515