SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

I heard it was to provide extra local service along Eastern Parkway after events at the Barclays Center. Don't know how true that is, but it sounds plausible. Only problem is, the fact that southbound (4) trains start running local so early in Brooklyn isn't labeled on the signs at all, so you still have people waiting on the express platform at Atlantic Av for Utica Av-bound trains.

BrooklynBus came up with a good point in the past that they should put down the ending times of different services such as the (B) & (W). Something like "Last train scheduled at XX:XX" so people know offhand if they should wait for their train or take their alternate route.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The (2)(5) schedules don't show the late Friday night early Saturday morning (extended (5) service to Bowling Green) nor the early Monday morning service((2) to both 241 St and Dyre Av at the same time) Looks like MTA will have to run supplements each week then, unless MTA will cut back on the extended Dyre shuttles to Bowling Green on Friday nights.

Additional thoughts:

Service has increased for riders on the Dyre Ave, New Lots, and South Ferry Branch lines, as well as Lexington Ave of course. WPR riders now have faster Brooklyn service via Lexington Ave 24/7, since the new (5) runs express at all times. Not sure if the (5) should be running on 12 minute headways instead of 8 though. If anything, the (2) and (5) need to swap headways on weekends.

The (3) now runs to 14 St at all times. The MTA should make this late night extension permanent once construction finishes.

Edited by Caelestor

i kinda wish for the (1) to run a bit more frequently during the morning rush than it does now. the "new" South Ferry station can actually handle 24 trains an hour, but yet the (1) is only limited to 19 trains an hour in the peak hour (entering Columbus Circle) according to the schedule/Trip Planner.

BrooklynBus came up with a good point in the past that they should put down the ending times of different services such as the (B) & (W). Something like "Last train scheduled at XX:XX" so people know offhand if they should wait for their train or take their alternate route.

There's an exact timeline for when the <7> stops at Woodside.  The sign reads, "To Main St, Flushing via Express, weekdays 3:10pm-9:55pm."  I'm having trouble posting the image here.

Edited by Bosco

Oh gosh knowing this I'll probably leave my house earlier and take the (7).

I don't know if all trains were doing it, or if that particular T/O was being super cautious (because he started slowing down in Manhattan too). But omg it was horrible! Even one guy that was standing said "that was torture" once we started speeding up when the express tracks dip below Northern Blvd.

Manhattan-bound (L) was extensively delayed all the way until Myrtle because of a sick passenger at 6 Av.

Though, I did not know trains with CBTC could get this close.

Yeah, theres a minimum allowed spacing which is about 100 or so feet, you can get as close as you want up to that point.

Manhattan-bound (L) was extensively delayed all the way until Myrtle because of a sick passenger at 6 Av.

Though, I did not know trains with CBTC could get this close.

https://youtu.be/xL3bBg_6nhQ

If you're surprised at that, then go on Youtube and search for "canarsie bound (L) trains@Broadway Junction", the first two videos should show you how close they can get.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

So it appears that IRT codes are being updated. The (7) has updated announcements except at Queensboro Plaza (and assumingly Times Square as the (W) is missing from the update) Also IRT signage is being expanded like the B division after 2 Av opened. (Ex Lexington Avenue Exp is now Lexington Avenue Express)

So it appears that IRT codes are being updated. The (7) has updated announcements except at Queensboro Plaza (and assumingly Times Square as the (W) is missing from the update) Also IRT signage is being expanded like the B division after 2 Av opened. (Ex Lexington Avenue Exp is now Lexington Avenue Express)

Any pics/videos? Unable to get in the subway atm

Been here ~2 years - mostly lurking - and all I've seen about Montague is that something went wrong so trains aren't sent up it.

Be nice to know what the issue is...

A mechanical problem occurred at 125th - St Nicholas earlier thus year. It was so bad they could only poke the first (A) car through. They daisy chained several and we were led out to the platform.

The train that was causing trouble? An R143. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with why any car, not just R32s, cannot run in certain areas without causing trouble. :-/

A mechanical problem occurred at 125th - St Nicholas earlier thus year. It was so bad they could only poke the first (A) car through. They daisy chained several and we were led out to the platform.

The train that was causing trouble? An R143. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with why any car, not just R32s, cannot run in certain areas without causing trouble. :-/

I think you may mean an R160.

On that note, its not really that certain trains can't run in certain areas causing trouble. That NTT would've broke down anywhere. The issue in Montegue is clearance.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Incorrect, the transfer at Times Square is updated but there is a glitch where she will announce the (E) three times in a row.

Okay. How does that even happen? Don't they listen to these a few times before releasing it?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Edited by danielhg121