SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of you interested in NTT updates, the R188's FINNALY got an update to their AAS systems. Charlie Pellet no longer announces the weekday transfers at Times Square and Queensboro Plaza, and they brought back Annie Bergen to announce the transfers at Queensboro Plaza. Those of you who are curious to hear it can watch this video:

Guys was riding the (7) this morning and I passed the R142A/R188M that has the led rings, and the first car towards Hudson Yrds (7509 I think) had a completely new sign which was all orange.

7509 would be the second car, the set is 7501-7510, so it's prob 7510.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Harlem (A)(B)(C)(D). Possible derailment shutting down lines. Whole length.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/06/27/nyregion/subway-train-derails-in-manhattan.html?login=email

Two cars of a crowded subway train veered off the tracks on Tuesday morning and crashed into a wall in northern Manhattan, injuring dozens of people and causing panic as riders evacuated and made their way through an underground tunnel to the nearest station.

Joe Lhota, the newly named leader of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, said the emergency brake had been activated, sending the train careening off the tracks, but he could not say why the brake had been deployed. He said all the injuries were minor.

Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said 34 people were being treated for minor injuries, including smoke inhalation, and 17 of them were taken to nearby hospitals. There were some 800 people in the tunnel after the accident and it took more than an hour for all of them to get out, he said.

The accident, aboard a southbound A train between 135th Street and 125th Street, escalated concerns about the fragility of a subway system that is fraying under enormous demand and an aging infrastructure.

Riders relayed harrowing accounts of the train being violently jolted and then being plunged into darkness. For several frightening minutes, as sparks flew and smoke filled the cars, passengers did not know what had happened.

Keyvan Chamani, 28, was sitting by the door of his car watching YouTube videos on his phone when “everything went crazy.”

His first thought was that there had been an explosion. But it soon became clear that it was an accident, he said.

The door, only feet from where he sat, had been knocked off his car as the train crashed into a wall.

“It definitely hit the wall because the door ripped out,” he said. “Smoke filled the entire car.”

He said people were having trouble breathing and some passengers opened windows. But that caused more smoke to pour in, he said, so they closed the windows again.

“I was getting panicked,” he said.

There was an announcement of some sort, he said, but he could not make out what was being said.

Benjamin Williams, writing on Twitter, said people were not let off the train until smoke appeared.

“One lady began having a panic attack, and most people had to use their shirts to not breathe in the smoke,” he wrote. “Some people are crying.”

The accident quickly rippled throughout the system, causing long delays on a number of lines, with some commuters reporting being stranded on subway cars underground for more than an hour. Officials said service had been suspended on a handful of lines; theycould not say when full service would be restored.

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo, who controls the subway system, has vowed to take emergency action to improve the system after it became clear that its antiquated infrastructure was failing.

The number of delays has soared this year and many commuters complain that they can no longer be sure they will be able to get around the city reliably.

Mr. Lhota said that the smoke and fire reported by riders was the result of garbage on the tracks that was set on fire in the crash.

He also said that it was not clear if the derailed train was an older-model train, where passengers can pull the emergency brake inside the cars, or a newer model, where riders cannot pull emergency brakes.

For Mr. Lhota, who is only days into a job he has held once before, the derailment was an inauspicious beginning. He vowed to “rebuild confidence” in the system.

For those on the A train on Tuesday morning, the delays and inconveniences that have become common on the subway turned much more frightening in a split second.

Kirk James, 42, was heading from Washington Heights to New York University, where he is a professor, when he said the train seemed to “brake really hard.”

Many people were thrown to the floor and he said that in those first few minutes, there was no announcement about what had gone wrong.

People from another car began shouting that they saw and smelled smoke.

“They were trying to break the glass to come into our car,” he said. They succeeded and huddled in that car for a brief period, afraid to open the door for fear that there might be a fire outside.

“Folks were starting to have panic attacks,” he said.

Still, he did not recall any announcement from the conductor. After nearly a half-hour, he said, he saw people leaving the cars and walking toward the 125th Street station, which was not far away.

“I still don’t know what happened,” he said.

7509 would be the second car, the set is 7501-7510, so it's prob 7510.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Was out on the (7) today and caught a glimpse of that car as I left Flushing. The T/O was probably inputting the program for (7) to manhattan when I saw the all orange sign light up saying "SIGN INITIALIZING" in orange caps.

I think you may mean an R160.

On that note, its not really that certain trains can't run in certain areas causing trouble. That NTT would've broke down anywhere. The issue in Montegue is clearance.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

No, I'm positive it was an R142.

I said R143. I meant R142. That was a typo and it's too late for me to edit.

Edited by MassTransitHonchkrow

To assure you I know the difference:

R142 cars are either made by Kawasaki or Bombardier, and are used mainly on (2)(3)(4)(5) trains.

R143 cars are made by Kawasaki and Alston and are primarily used by the (L) train, although lately I've seen them being used for (J) service.

The R142 car is narrower than the R143.

The R143 and R142 cars use Strip maps (as opposed to FIND).

The R143 cars have a powder blue microchecker wallpaper and single slide doors between cars.

The R142 cars have a egg speckled white wallpaper.

Other manufacturers may be missing from my list.

Thus is what I know so far.

R142 cars are either made by Kawasaki or Bombardier, and are used mainly on (2)(3)(4)(5) trains.

R143 cars are made by Kawasaki and Alston and are primarily used by the (L) train, although lately I've seen them being used for (J) service.

The R143 cars have a powder blue microchecker wallpaper and single slide doors between cars.

Just a slight correction, the 142's have shown up on the (3) in the past, but they're not officially assigned to the line. And they're made by Bombadier. The R142A's are Kawasaki. Edited by S78 via Hylan

R142 cars are either made by Kawasaki or Bombardier, and are used mainly on (2)(3)(4)(5) trains.

The R143's were only made by Kawasaki. The R142's on the (2)(4) and (5) Lines are Bombardier cars.

A mechanical problem occurred at 125th - St Nicholas earlier thus year. It was so bad they could only poke the first (A) car through. They daisy chained several and we were led out to the platform.

The train that was causing trouble? An R143. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with why any car, not just R32s, cannot run in certain areas without causing trouble. :-/

No, I'm positive it was an R142.

I said R143. I meant R142. That was a typo and it's too late for me to edit.

You may know the difference between the New Techs, but your original post says so much different about your story.

125th and St Mich on the A. The stalled train you said was an R143. Now its an R142. In the B division.

I get the point you were originally trying to make. Any rail car can break down. But....... Yeah.

Let me know if you see any R142 or R142A stop at St. Nicholas Ave and 125th St in passenger service.

I would love to see that too.