BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Just now, Cait Sith said:

1. In the event that we have another sign debacle like with the Luminators, as the MTA is not happy with the Luminator Spectrums. MTA is no longer getting Luminator or Axion signs IIRC, so they are looking at options.

2. Primiarly because they are hybrids, which is a dumb reason altogether.

I don't know if this has been discussed, but are there any plans or consideration to retrofit the existing buses with Hanovers/Aesys, or is it cost-prohibitive at this point to do so?

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seen a B6 short turn to Nostrand Ave just now starting at Rockaway Parkway.. However it was an UP bus. 

Took me back to when I was an kid and FLA operated the B6 short turns, even though those short turns stopped short of my school I preferred them cause  they were less crowded than the regular B6 runs.

During rush hour their was an diverse amount of RTSs on the B6, GMCs, TMCs with both series 92 and repowered 50 EGR engines, and the 96 and 99 batches of Nova RTSs, good times. This was in the early 2000s BTW.

I just saw a 2005 Orion VII Hybrid turning to Grand Avenue Depot. It looked like a zombie bus that came back alive from the dead! The bus was completely stripped except for a washed out blue stripe. The LP of the bus was (AT) 9806. I took pictures, however I do not know how to post them. If anyone wants to see them, message me on my Instagram account (same username).

EDIT: I just looked closely at one of the pictures, and there was a Queens Bus Map inside as well as a white paper by the rear windows saying “3778....”

Edited by Snorunts

1 hour ago, Snorunts said:

I just saw a 2005 Orion VII Hybrid turning to Grand Avenue Depot. It looked like a zombie bus that came back alive from the dead! The bus was completely stripped except for a washed out blue stripe. The LP of the bus was (AT) 9806. I took pictures, however I do not know how to post them. If anyone wants to see them, message me on my Instagram account (same username).

EDIT: I just looked closely at one of the pictures, and there was a Queens Bus Map inside as well as a white paper by the rear windows saying “3778....”

Yeah, you can catch those sometimes – buses about to be repainted get all their ads removed and are then sanded down to prepare for primer and paint. Sometimes they'll get driven around the area a little bit for whatever reason. Guess 3778 is about to get a new paint job!

20 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

So I have two questions.

1. Why does MQ’s XD40s have the Aesys signs compared to the rest of the 2018/19 XD40s?

2. I guess this is a very subjective question but I noticed over the years a lot of bus fans dislike the Orion VII NG’s. What about them causes them to be unfavorable? I actually consider them good buses and I favor them more compared to the Orion VII OG’s. I remember being so happy when I rode them for the first time on the Q17.

I agree, I've always favoured the NGs, Personally.

Totally out of left field questions that maybe my Surface folks can answer. Been looking at BusTime for a few weeks and I'm at a loss with Brooklyn service. All hours. 

1 Where does a n/b B41 to Church  go after reaching that stop? B41 to Empire ?

2 B49 s/b to Foster and Flatbush head to the depot,  right?  Late night B49 to Ave S, likewise? 

3 B16 n/b to Lefferts Gardens  late night  (last one ?) seems to disappear at Prospect Park. 

4 B44 n/b to Fulton Street loops back to Nostrand for s/b service, right?  What happens to the s/b runs to Avenue X ?

Questions for a curious person with mucho free time.  Carry on. 

Edited by Trainmaster5
Missing word

2 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Totally out of left field questions that maybe my Surface folks can answer. Been looking at BusTime for a few weeks and I'm at a loss with Brooklyn service. All hours. 

2 B49 s/b to Foster and Flatbush head to the depot,  right?  Late night B49 to Ave S, likewise? 

3 B16 n/b to Lefferts Gardens  late night  (last one ?) seems to disappear at Prospect Park. 

4 B44 n/b to Fulton Street loops back to Nostrand for s/b service, right?  What happens to the s/b runs to Avenue X ?

all answers given are to the best of my knowledge. 

41's to church avenue don't drop back to empire (to my knowledge) it's been (or used to be) that 41's to church will drop off at church, right on linden, right on bedford and deadhead to (a) flatbush depot for pull in (b) kings plaza for a empire trip northbound (c) the junction for a empire trip northbound. also, there have been instances of church avenue 41's making the left on caton, left ocean avenue, left church and regular to head southbound to kp or bergen beach (very rare & delay prone due to traffic on caton & church) 

49's to foster & flatbush are in fact pull in trips, same goes for the avenue s trips. 

to my knowledge, pull ins & pull outs are done on the 16 & 43 from lefferts. 

fulton street 44's will make southbound trips from fulton to avenue u or sheepshead (either way, it's usually a pull in trip from either terminal) 

Avenue x 44's (lcl or sbs) usually are followed by a northbound trip. it's extremely rare to have a pull in from Avenue x. turn around is usually as follows: left on avenue Y, left on Batchelder (which isn't always the safest choice) or left on coyle (which i always preferred) left avenue X (layover on x between Haring & Nostrand... if a 'jimmy' is looking for you, that's where you'd better be) then regular. 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

2 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

1] Never thought about it, to be honest..... I simply don't know.

2] Yes to Foster/Flatbush... Don't know about Av. S trip, as I've never seen em...

3] I've taken that last trip twice... Both times I was the last person on the bus, both times I needed the B12, and both times the b/o hung a left on Parkside after letting me off (short of the actual B16 Parkside stop)..... That has to be a trip heading back to the depot.

4] Both of those respective short turns loop back for service in their opposite directions (hope that came out right).....

21 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

41's to church avenue don't drop back to empire (to my knowledge) it's been (or used to be) that 41's to church will drop off at church, right on linden, right on bedford and deadhead to (a) flatbush depot for pull in (b) kings plaza for a empire trip northbound (c) the junction for a empire trip northbound. also, there have been instances of church avenue 41's making the left on caton, left ocean avenue, left church and regular to head southbound to kp or bergen beach (very rare & delay prone due to traffic on caton & church)

I have seen a bus on Flatbush make a left on Caton, but I was too far away to see the depot decal..... That would explain that.

Edited by B35 via Church

From what I can tell, the B41's Empire Boulevard short-turns are supposed to loop back via Ocean Avenue (dropping off by the Lincoln Road entrance to the Prospect Park station, then going over to wait by the bus stop at the Flatbush Avenue entrance until departure).

No, I'm not an operator, so I can't really provide too much insight.

1 hour ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

all answers given are to the best of my knowledge. 

49's to foster & flatbush are in fact pull in trips, same goes for the avenue s trips. 

to my knowledge, pull ins & pull outs are done on the 16 & 43 from lefferts. 

fulton street 44's will make southbound trips from fulton to avenue u or sheepshead (either way, it's usually a pull in trip from either terminal) 

Avenue x 44's (lcl or sbs) usually are followed by a northbound trip. it's extremely rare to have a pull in from Avenue x. turn around is usually as follows: left on avenue Y, left on Batchelder (which isn't always the safest choice) or left on coyle (which i always preferred) left avenue X (layover on x between Haring & Nostrand... if a 'jimmy' is looking for you, that's where you'd better be) then regular. 

I actually worded #1 wrong.. The B41 to Empire (early ams)  I watched used to pop up as a s/b B44 from Eastern Parkway when I first started watching BusTime. I only remember one run doing that. That Church Avenue B41 drove me crazy. I checked B49 and B44 trips s/b from that area and could not find that particular bus number anywhere. Never occurred to me that the bus was NIS from there. I want to thank you and B35 for the help. Let’s see what other secrets I can dig up 😁. Carry on.

1 hour ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I actually worded #1 wrong.. The B41 to Empire (early ams)  I watched used to pop up as a s/b B44 from Eastern Parkway when I first started watching BusTime. I only remember one run doing that. That Church Avenue B41 drove me crazy. I checked B49 and B44 trips s/b from that area and could not find that particular bus number anywhere. Never occurred to me that the bus was NIS from there. I want to thank you and B35 for the help. Let’s see what other secrets I can dig up 😁. Carry on.

flatbush used to have wildcat runs like that back in the day.... 44 short signs to fulton that would dropback to Franklin for a southbound 49 trip... 41's to empire that would dropback to bedford for a southbound 49 trip... the weirdest one i knew of was a 44 short sign to fulton that would deadhead to cadman plaza for the 41... the list goes on. Flatbush used to be funky & quirky that way, especially with school runs on the 41, 44 & 49. the 46 & 47 (and going back further, with the B7 & B78) weren't all the way included in the madness. 

13 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

flatbush used to have wildcat runs like that back in the day.... 44 short signs to fulton that would dropback to Franklin for a southbound 49 trip... 41's to empire that would dropback to bedford for a southbound 49 trip... the weirdest one i knew of was a 44 short sign to fulton that would deadhead to cadman plaza for the 41... the list goes on. Flatbush used to be funky & quirky that way, especially with school runs on the 41, 44 & 49. the 46 & 47 (and going back further, with the B7 & B78) weren't all the way included in the madness. 

When you mentioned that B78 it brought back memories of a conversation my friends and I had earlier this summer. We were all residents of Flatbush, today’s Prospect-Lefferts, and we all had family living in Bed-Stuy. There were two retired B/Os from ENY depot at the dinner and we were trying to explain to the young people that we didn’t use numbers for bus routes as a rule but street names instead. From west to east we had Flatbush, Rogers, Nostrand and Utica, with the Clarkson and the Church as the west-east lines. Prospect Park gave us the Kingston-Tompkins and the Franklin, with a side route ( B33 ) that nobody we knew took. This was before and after the main streets became one way. B41, B49, B44, B46 from west to east were the north-south lines while the B12, B35 covered the East Flatbush to Flatbush traffic. The B48 was straight up north from Empire Blvd but the B47 did a little west to east stint along Empire before heading north. Meanwhile after Kings Plaza opened the Transit created the B78 which traveled the southern Ralph Avenue portion to the Sutter Rutland IRT station on the East Flatbush-Brownsville border. Perhaps you can help me out here. When the old B40, “the “ Ralph Avenue bus to Bed-Stuy and Brownsville residents was discontinued from the eastern terminal why not rename the B78 to B40, at least for some continuity ? One of the B/O s at the dinner actually worked the Kingston Avenue version of the B47 for a time when it came out of ENY and he said it made no sense to the operators and the riders he knew when the old B47 was renamed to the B43. He said that was one of the reasons he went to a B45 Hawk and then a shifters job at East New York leading to retirement. We all agreed that the folks in charge screwed the pooch by not naming the B78 to B40 or even B43. I remember that BrooklynBus tried to explain the reasoning one time but, as I said to the Surface folks that day, now you see why the rest of put in our papers. There’s a lack of input from the riders and the employees on the ground IMO. Just my opinion. Carry on.