BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Because the QM3 riders... A lot of them alternate between the QM3 and other express bus lines like the QM5 which is much more frequent and runs 7 days a week. The other riders use the LIRR, which is quicker.  Most of the usage comes from Little Neck and Douglaston, and neither area is that dense population wise. I have a few QM3 riders in my group.  They pretty much know each other and work further away from Penn Station, so it makes sense to get the QM3.  A lot of residents there opt for the LIRR though, which is seen as the more professional thing to take, and the trains are more frequent too. The QM3 runs every 30 minutes in the AM and PM.

OK, I just never looked at the schedule! And I do agree, the PW Branch probably  is faster

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

OK, I just never looked at the schedule! And I do agree, the PW Branch probably  is faster

Not probably... It is... lol The QM3 only makes sense if you are further north and east of Penn Station in Manhattan. That's why the QM3 runs along Northern, otherwise it would be in direct competition with the LIRR. That said, there has been a push for more express bus service in Northeast Queens, so the QM3 could get more trips as part of the Outer Borough Transit Fund.

https://qns.com/story/2019/04/03/northeast-queens-lawmakers-announce-upcoming-transit-improvements-for-outer-borough-commuters/?fbclid=IwAR3gAcJoqPaMnIncYbuzbUD5vxD7nn-xMomvYmycJIx70VD0n6r32gchXUE

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Today I rode a fast C40 out of JG, I thought that entire fleet was nerfed due to LBSS or w/e its called. Still the fastest C40 rides I had so far were on the old ones with the S50G...

One thing I noticed about fast Cummins buses with power is they jerk back when the operator takes their foot off of the gas pedal, the DD50 powered buses were smoother in this regard.

Just now, MHV9218 said:

The new XD40s are appallingly jerky I think. With the Quill batch, the downshifts shake you forward. That's unacceptable to me...wouldn't be allowed on a consumer car.

I have noticed that the older ones (75xx and 76xx) are more smooth. I have yet to ride a brand new one. What are the numbers on those?

Also, when will the 65xx/66xx/67xx Orion OG's be going away?

6 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

The new XD40s are appallingly jerky I think. With the Quill batch, the downshifts shake you forward. That's unacceptable to me...wouldn't be allowed on a consumer car.

That’s what happens when you mess with the speed governor and the transmission and whatever else the (MTA) does for supposed fuel efficiency.

15 hours ago, Jova42R said:

Why did the QM3 only have 117 riders in 2018? That is 0.4 people on average per day. How does that happen?

see here: http://web.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_busMTA.htm

I'm highly critical of the MTA, but I don't believe they're in the business of transporting a torso a day.... Rather gruesome, to say the least.

As was said though, that 117 is not the total yearly ridership.... Check the MTA Bus Annual ridership page if you want the yearly ridership stat for the route.

16 hours ago, paulrivera said:

That’s what happens when you mess with the speed governor and the transmission and whatever else the (MTA) does for supposed fuel efficiency.

Just the transmission and the brakes really.

22 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

It's weird, I've ridden 7582 and 7590 on the M8 and it rode smooth like crazy.

....but with 7596 and 7599, I had that same shake effect, both on the M42 no less. It's even worse in the NEW XD60s.

But, for the 40fters, it's worse on the 2014s and 2015s, I'm glad Quill doesn't have those. Nowadays, with the ENY units, I just stand because of that reason. The jerkiness can make you slide off of the seat in the units with the different seats. I haven't experienced any of the jerking motions in any of the 7700s and 7800s out of ENY yet.

Edited by Cait Sith

On 9/25/2019 at 8:05 PM, MHV9218 said:

I rode 7578 on the M57 today - it was pretty smooth - no shaky downshifts.

17 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

And, will MHV or Tuskegee Airmen get XD40s anytime soon? 

More like XDE40s, especially since Manhattanville (132nd Street) is an all alternative-fuels Depot. I do anticipate Manhattanville, and Tuskegee (100th Street) getting at least 20 XDE40s a piece. That way, MV gets new wheels and OF having a 100% new fleet for the M31 route up York Avenue and the ever-so-congested West 57th Street.

18 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

How many XD40s does MJQ have?

43 2018-19 XD40s 7572-7614. These units have the Aesys signs.

So I have two questions.

1. Why does MQ’s XD40s have the Aesys signs compared to the rest of the 2018/19 XD40s?

2. I guess this is a very subjective question but I noticed over the years a lot of bus fans dislike the Orion VII NG’s. What about them causes them to be unfavorable? I actually consider them good buses and I favor them more compared to the Orion VII OG’s. I remember being so happy when I rode them for the first time on the Q17.

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

So I have two questions.

1. Why does MQ’s XD40s have the Aesys signs compared to the rest of the 2018/19 XD40s?

2. I guess this is a very subjective question but I noticed over the years a lot of bus fans dislike the Orion VII NG’s. What about them causes them to be unfavorable? I actually consider them good buses and I favor them more compared to the Orion VII OG’s. I remember being so happy when I rode them for the first time on the Q17.

As for one, I believe 7572 also sports the sign which is in Jamaica. Not sure of the particular reason.

Some fans don't like the NGs for a myriad of reasons such as them being hybrids, them not like the model in general, or the fact they replaced older favorites (RTS, Orion V).

56 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

482 out of Jackie Gleason has a drivers side wrap for some kind of mobile banking app. Couldn't catch the name of it.

Gleason has quite a few buses with that wrap. 

482, 486, 395, 232 so far to my knowledge have wraps. 

Flatbush, Grand, Ulmer Park  now have Postmates wrap. 

7 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

As for one, I believe 7572 also sports the sign which is in Jamaica. Not sure of the particular reason.

Some fans don't like the NGs for a myriad of reasons such as them being hybrids, them not like the model in general, or the fact they replaced older favorites (RTS, Orion V).

7572 already left Jamaica (Now at Quill) a few months ago.

15 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

It's weird, I've ridden 7582 and 7590 on the M8 and it rode smooth like crazy.

....but with 7596 and 7599, I had that same shake effect, both on the M42 no less. It's even worse in the NEW XD60s.

But, for the 40fters, it's worse on the 2014s and 2015s, I'm glad Quill doesn't have those. Nowadays, with the ENY units, I just stand because of that reason. The jerkiness can make you slide off of the seat in the units with the different seats. I haven't experienced any of the jerking motions in any of the 7700s and 7800s out of ENY yet.

Gotcha, yeah this was a 76xx, one of the real recent arrivals and it was really shuddering. Op was trying to minimize it from what I could tell. Also the M8 funnily enough. Haven't experienced that on the ENY buses but that's just because I haven't been on their fleet in a minute. What I do remember is back when the 12xx buses were new, you had some similarly tough gear changes (on the other hand those buses were fast as hell). Whole things just gets me annoyed, thinking about how much longer those well-maintained Quill 52xx buses had in them before they got tossed. 

14 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

So I have two questions.

1. In the event that we have another sign debacle like with the Luminators, as the MTA is not happy with the Luminator Spectrums. MTA is no longer getting Luminator or Axion signs IIRC, so they are looking at options.

2. Primiarly because they are hybrids, which is a dumb reason altogether.