BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This past week I saw 2 ads. One from the Met and Tina Turner on Broadway. Spotted the ads on Spring Creek express buses. (Too SC is no longer in the Brooklyn Division, maybe with the Brooklyn re-design plan that could possibly change). 

I know these Broadway // Met Opera ads don’t appear on buses outside the Manhattan Division and express Bus Divisions. However, it would be nice to see an ad or two from Broadway in other divisions. I think that’s a Outfront Media Issue. But also to remember that these companies are only to put their ads in areas where the cash, popularity, and opportunity to where the audience is.  

8 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

If there is a list, then so far there’s 232, 380, 428, and 442.

Also: 486  

No list.  However, this is good for the Brooklyn Division. Hopefully, this is truly the beginning of seeing some Manhattan like wraps in Brooklyn. 

I know for sure that the only 2 Fresh Pond buses 3996 and 4435 have wraps (those came from GA since GA was the first depot to receive than FB now Gleason). UP gets wraps by default b/c they are express depot. However, if the rules are changed for the XD40’s 2011/2015 batch than UP could apply. 

Edited by Future ENY OP

On 9/11/2019 at 1:24 PM, Q43LTD said:

Well, since the M100 would no longer serve 125 east of Amsterdam, no one will bat an eye, the M104 loses service on 42 east of Times Square, everyone lost their minds. 

As far as those routes you mentioned, we may see this:

M31- no service west of York Av. (Goes back to its early '90's routing)

M57- no service on West End Av. Possible M12 extension?

M14- the Lower East Side Abingdon Square branch may get its own designation and/or extended on either end

I think they're going to try to oversimplify the f*** out of Manhattan's network.... Unlike the other 4 boroughs, Manhattan's network operates on a quote-unquote perfect grid... They'll look at the network & conclude that there are way too many overlapping services for a grid network & go apeshit in consolidating and/or truncating everything.... One facet of the collateral damage I believe that'll result due to it, is not adding service to the remaining (or resultant) route along the oversimplified corridor, that would undergo some revocation of service....

An example would be, cutting back the M2, M3, and M4 to 110th from the north, to have the M1 be the 5th/Madison route - while maintaining current M1 frequencies.

Another example would be discontinuing the M101 portion south of 125th (or even the portion east & south of 125th/Amsterdam) & discontinuing the M98 & M102 outright, to have the M103 be the 3rd/Lex route - while maintaining current M103 frequencies....

If I knew how to code tables on the forum here, I would do a quick lil something where I'd opine on what I think should be done to each Manhattan route, vs. what I think will ending up happening to each Manhattan route, upon the network redesign.....

On 9/12/2019 at 11:39 AM, Future ENY OP said:

As far as Abington Square. Leave that only for the M11 and move the 14A to 18th or Chelsea Piers to stand with the M23. 

AFAIC, the M14 should run there regardless (too bad the space doesn't allow for it)... I mean, I don't have the hate for Abingdon that some have (personally, I'm more bothered by W. 18th/West as a bus terminal), but I do agree that M14's shouldn't really be ending there either....

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

An example would be, cutting back the M2, M3, and M4 to 110th from the north, to have the M1 be the 5th/Madison route - while maintaining current M1 frequencies.

Another example would be discontinuing the M101 portion south of 125th (or even the portion east & south of 125th/Amsterdam) & discontinuing the M98 & M102 outright, to have the M103 be the 3rd/Lex route - while maintaining current M103 frequencies....

Didn't someone propose that on the forums before?

I'm not really familiar with 5th/Madison but I'd like to see the longer M3 and M4 routes be almost super-limited or SBS lite with subway-like stop spacing while the M1 and M2 become the locals.

As for Lex, I'd leave the M102 and M103 as is, cut the M101 to 125th and have the M98 become full time limited to East Village.

Edited by Around the Horn

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

AFAIC, the M14 should run there regardless (too bad the space doesn't allow for it)... I mean, I don't have the hate for Abingdon that some have (personally, I'm more bothered by W. 18th/West as a bus terminal), but I do agree that M14's shouldn't really be ending there either....

I'm in agreement with you on not having the 18th and West as the last stop..  What is needed tho is to extend both the 14A and 14D to the piers. Let 18th street be the 2nd stop. The chances become better for the people who need LES service from the piers and not to necessary compare it to the M23 only b/c that's a different demographic.

But in the interm, I feel the TA is going to jack up Manhattan and Brooklyn re-designs...

I will not consider this as breaking news. However, within the last hour there is a new capital plan proposal for 2020-2024.  Most of the plan is dedicated to the subways. However, buses will get 7 billion dollars for depot improvements, new bus purchases, customer experience upgrades and to make transition of purchasing Electric buses beginning in 2029. 

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

I will not consider this as breaking news. However, within the last hour there is a new capital plan proposal for 2020-2024.  Most of the plan is dedicated to the subways. However, buses will get 7 billion dollars for depot improvements, new bus purchases, customer experience upgrades and to make transition of purchasing Electric buses beginning in 2029. 

I'm guessing it would be released by the next press release?

So there's a water main break at Sedgwick and 195th in the Kingsbridge Heights section of the Bronx, and Bx3 buses are being rerouted. The MTA website states the reroute as follows:

Service Change

Posted: 9/16/19 4:01 PM

Bx3 buses are detoured in both directions because of water main break on Sedgwick Av and 195 St.

Detour is as follows:

Northbound: Via Kingsbridge Rd, right on Bailey Av, right on Albany Crest, left on Heath Av, left on Ft Independence St and then resume their regular route.

Southbound: Via Ft Independence St, right on Heath Av, right on Albany Crest, left on Bailey Av, left on Kingsbridge Rd and then resume their regular route.

However, lots of drivers aren't following this and are instead just continuing up University Avenue to Reservoir until they get back onto Sedgwick, which is a lot simpler and more direct than whatever the hell the website says.

1 minute ago, Jova42R said:

Once, I saw 2866 on the S89! How common is it for MCIs and Prevosts to be on local routes?

The S89 had an issue with the detour around the Bayonne Bridge construction so they gave some runs (especially the last run) MCIs/Prevosts

There used to be some runs that did a piece on the S55/56/78 trippers and then an express piece, so those often used coach buses as well